Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

We Are Back.... Sort Of!

Post subject: Re: We Are Back.... Sort Of!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your work!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:09 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

All attachments are now returned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:

Sweeeet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the effort of keeping this site running - getting back into Epic it has been a godsend and I don't think would have happened without Tactical Command!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work CS - epic legend!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
CyberShadow wrote:

Sweeeet

Thankgod I don't need to rephoto all my models and look at the paint on an even bigger screen!

Thank you so much for your work cyber shadow. I promise to say that when the server is ticking along as well as when just recovered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So glad this is all back.

Thank you for the great work restoring this site!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you very much for the hard work, CyberShadow, I missed the place a lot. A pity the unexpected came, but well, that's something that happens sooner or later. If you need any help with something not related with programming, just ask.

CyberShadow wrote:
Discord is not for everyone, and that's fine. It's an option, and wont replace the boards, or other avenues. It's just a nice 'instant chat' for those that want it. I have to admit that I have a bias against Facebook. I understand that its convenient and people are just always logged in there, but finding a discussion that I saw yesterday is a nightmare. And with no categories or themes, its just a big pot of vanishing posts.

The problem is that it could replace the boards.

I have seen how the main pages and chats of the community for other two games went way lower in activity than TacCom have ever been and exist now just as an archive, due to the addition of a Discord server a few years ago:

It all begun in both cases when a younger addition to the community advertised one as a try out because they were not used to go through the boards or IRC, more people joined because it was better for idle talk and required less clicks to upload images and memes, and more and more joined till the rest of the places almost dissapeared, as more Discord servers were created and almost everyone joined them or left.

Now those websites are just archives for all of the compiled information of the game till people left, because due to the SNS nature of Discord all that matters are the last posts and the information gets hidden between dozens of posts of idle talk even if there is several servers to work as categories, the private nature of the Discord server means that is even harder to make a backup of the information so all of it is getting lost forever, and the community fractured because of all that could not get Discord to work left the community as they cannot see it.

About Facebook i agree with you that it is harder to find things as there is no categories and sometimes Facebook even hides threads, so while i am in no way advertising Facebook, Discord poses a big problem for the future. How about a message board instead? Everyone can see them, but only those registered can post, and after decades of having dozen of them around there has to be the code for one laying around freeware to use. The only issue would be to link Tacccom and the message boards to ease the move to the message boards at the beginning by sharing the accounts, and compete with the ''i have lots of hobbies (and most times private and professional life) in the same website/program'' niche social networks aim for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Many thanks for your post.

Its true, it could replace the boards. But I really hope that it doesn't. In my mind, the Discord server and these forums are designed for two different uses, which I hope will complement each other. The forums are most useful in their ability to organise thoughts and content, thread conversations and archive ideas. There are points made regarding development of EA lists here that are still relevant today and were posted years ago. In contrast, the Discord discussion is much more real time. Its great to pop in and see what people are working on, but if I want to find a specific picture a week later, its not going to be easy. I hope that I will be able to bring these distinctions out and make the most of each platform, and not attempt to simply replicate the same discussions and structure in both places. For example, I recently removed a channel in the Discord server for trades, because I think that this is far better suited to these forums. I will do what I can to keep these distinctions in mind always.

All of that said, it is still possible that the Discord takes over the boards, even though I will do my best not to let this happen (as I have said, this would be bad for both platforms). In the end, the web is an odd place, and simply put, if I dont create a place for this conversation, then someone else will. Forums are falling a bit out of favour now, with Discord, Facebook groups, Telegram groups, etc, but I still think that have a very real and important set of advantages.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:
But I really hope that it doesn't. In my mind, the Discord server and these forums are designed for two different uses, which I hope will complement each other. The forums are most useful in their ability to organise thoughts and content, thread conversations and archive ideas. There are points made regarding development of EA lists here that are still relevant today and were posted years ago. In contrast, the Discord discussion is much more real time. Its great to pop in and see what people are working on, but if I want to find a specific picture a week later, its not going to be easy. I hope that I will be able to bring these distinctions out and make the most of each platform, and not attempt to simply replicate the same discussions and structure in both places. For example, I recently removed a channel in the Discord server for trades, because I think that this is far better suited to these forums. I will do what I can to keep these distinctions in mind always.

It is true that each have its own characteristic and good points and it would be wonderful to have Discord if people where to use it for its strenghts and maybe that could get rid of all the completely private messaging, but we are in an era where people want everything in one place, be it Discord, Whatsapp, Telegram, Twitter or Facebook (no matter how bad it is for them), so only a small fraction will be both here AND in Discord, which is what happened in all of those cases i know, bringing a fracture to the community till one absorb the people of the other. Most probably both will not coexist and i still have yet to see an example of a community where they do after a year.

CyberShadow wrote:
In the end, the web is an odd place, and simply put, if I dont create a place for this conversation, then someone else will. Forums are falling a bit out of favour now, with Discord, Facebook groups, Telegram groups, etc, but I still think that have a very real and important set of advantages.

There is also the fact that this has happened already. Leaving aside Facebook, Twitter and around a hundred blogs, I know of a few Whatssapp groups for Epic which group more than one hundred people, and only around 10 are here or on Facebook but half have been here and in Facebook for a long long time. These Whatsapp groups also half-killed the websites and blogs of Epic in the area, but that's another matter.

This is a concern, but i have been at this point several times in other games' communities and i am still struggling with it not being a defeatist position or delaying the inevitable. Could there be something we can do to attract the younger and those not much into Epic to the outside of blogs and SNS, it is better if we just go with the flow and stop struggling and improving, or it is better to ignore the popularity as we are a niche already and SNS have been around for long already and have not affected us much as other issues? Difficult to decide.

The best i could think of would be to create our own SNS integrated into the website, but the sheer amount of programming work this would mean would make it a pipe dream and while there is some freeware code for small chat windows on the side they are restricted in use, so that's why i proposed a message board, which have the same function as an SNS and still of public view.

A second option would be to advertise anything which happens here on the Facebook groups, even more as it seems there is a disconnection between the people here and those on SNS, something made evident like for example with lots on Facebook not even knowing of Vanguard or Onslaught. Problem of this one is that it needs the collaboration of lots of people, which dooms it before beginning. Vanguard have been doing this lately but they are a company so they can accomplish it.
From my side I have been planning on advertising my battle reports and other publications on Facebook now that i have a good amount by putting only half of each on Facebook and linking here for the rest. Have done that on Whatsapp already but it had a mild reception level as do not take a look at what links point to in general. I suppose it will be better on Facebook as there are more computer/laptop users than mobile there but time will tell.

Well, after of all of this rumbling, all i can say is, good luck, and hope it really turns for the better with this, really hope it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great work CS,

I hardly get on here any more due to other commitments but I do really appreciate catching up on the new and old content when I get the chance.

Thanks for keeping it going.

Regards
Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for all the hard work CS!

Is there any chance of the forum getting back on Tapatalk?

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:59 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

gunslinger007 wrote:
Thanks for all the hard work CS!

Is there any chance of the forum getting back on Tapatalk?

Yes, I will restore TapaTalk both here and to the SpecArms boards. But I want to finish the full update here first, as right now we are 'between updates'. I have it in my list of 'todo'. ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been MIA for a far amount of time and I didn't even know the boards went down. I do appreciate your time and effort over the years CS. Its nice to see things are still alive. I have joined the Discord, I have been using it more for a online D&D game. But it seems since its used for many things for people the names don't match the ones we have here, lol.

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whoa, look who's back! :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next