Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Video Battle Reports

Post subject: Re: Video Battle Reports
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

No worries Bissler, we will do it eventually! :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've had some feedback that some of the action in the video was confusing and that more overviews might help. This feedback is invaluable to me making better and more enjoyable videos in the future. Because I'm playing, filming and editing it's hard to have enough distance from the project to know exactly what is and isn't working.

If anyone can give me more feedback here I'd really appreciate it. I have a thick skin so can take your criticisms, though please make them specific! "Your video sucks" wouldn't really help me much... Knowing the positives would also really help me out, ie "keep doing that".

To save hunting through this thread, here's the link to the video:

http://youtu.be/leaEfH26GZc

Help me 6mm community, you're my only hope!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The second report was a good improvment. I enjoyed it.

If you want to keep improving you could look into audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I used to use it to reduce noise levels. I think this tutorial might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKX6p85R2M

On the other hand another thing you should check is to see if that background noise we are hearing if from the shooting with the camera. You can just remove all of that noise and only leave your voice over, which will help reduce the total amount of static.

As to the visuals... I think that this time you shot many of the camera shots from one side of the board. This is a really good idea as it can be disorientating if you take the shots from different angles around the board. A battle reporter that often does this very well is oncebitten360 on youtube. He seems to only take pics from his side of the board if he can help it, and it makes it much easier to follow his videos.

Another thing that might work since its 6mm scale is if you take pictures instead of video. Take a wider angle shot, and then have it zoom in on the area of the picture you're talking about. This gives you context, while still showing the viewer fine detail. The reason I suggest a picture instead of a video is that a pic is usually much better quality when you zoom in on the type of camera you seem to have.

Good luck on your next one.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the excellent feedback, much appreciated!

Believe it or not, I already use Audacity! I completely remove the sound from the footage, mostly because I don't narrate as I go and also I usually have music on. There is nothing much I can do about the background noise as I live on a main road so there are always cars going by my window. I was hoping that by angling the mic away from the window that it might completely eliminate it, but no such luck! :-\

I will watch the tutorial though because I'm no expert with the program, hopefully it will give me some helpful tips! Thanks for posting this link!

You're absolutely correct, other than the opening views of the battlefield I did take everything (I think) from the one side of the table. I'm glad the plan worked and that it made it easier to follow the action. I know that I still have more work to do to refine this further. I'll check out once bitten's videos, thanks again for suggesting this!

I think the idea of the pictures is a great one! In one way it might cause me more work with editing the zooms but in actual fact I think using pics will speed up the whole process from a data usage point of view, as well as not having to trim raw footage. You are right to say about the clarity. The on-screen "chatter" is something which annoys me a lot!

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to watch the video and make so many useful suggestions! I'm glad that you still enjoyed it through all the imperfections!

Cheers!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8