Login |  Register |  FAQ

First Game

Post subject: First Game
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An friend of mine and myself played our first game of E:A the other night. I've played SM2 and TL many times in the mid-1990s, but he has never played any version of Epic before our game. I played the Black Legion and he played the IG at 2000 points.

IG
Regimental HQ 500
Leman Russ Company 650
Mech Infantry 400
3 Sentinel 300
Rough Riders 150

BL
Black Legion Retinue (Icon Bearer, Daemon Prince, Daemonic Pact)
Black Legion Retinue (Icon Bearer, Champion, Daemonic Pact)
Black Legion Retinue (Icon Bearer, Champion, Daemonic Pact)
4 Land Raiders
8 Rhinos
2 Greater Daemons, 11 lesser Daemons

Not a detailed battle report, but the game was quite close (2-1 for IG after four turns.) The CSM has some serious problems with the Leman Russ formation, over the course of the game I managed to kill two tanks. One BL retinue + 7 bloodletters + 4 land raiders munched through the mech infantry company in one turn of assault (completely destroyed while only losing two daemons and one CSM stand.) The next turn they were engaged in a firefight with the regimental HQ, which broke them and sent them into a full retreat towards their base edge.

In turn four a BL retinue supported by four daemonic beasts and one lord of change assaulted the leman russ company, which ended in disaster for the BL. Reinforced armour is very effective. Upon reflection, I should have summoned a bloodthirster instead.

Overall we both had a good time. The game took quite a while - we shared a rule book and neither of us had played before. I really got stung for not having enough activations. It was also strange to face IG without arty  :laugh:

I think once we get more familiar with the rules game will flow better, and our games will probably be split between E:A and Fantasy Rules! for the foreseeable future. I'll probably try the L&D list next time though.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That is alright for a first game, but if you have the models going up to 2700 or 3000 points is where the list are supposed to be balanced.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to be picky things are supposed to be balanced from 2000 to 5000 points :) I thought they looked like good solid armies.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aye. Just because 2700/3000 is the standard tournament size that does not mean that all games should be that size... I often play 2000pt games as they are quite a bit faster and are easier to fit into a busy day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I knew that if we tried for a 3000-5000 point game we would just get bogged down. I have about 8000 point of chaos painted, and another 15000-20000 unpainted. The IG were all proxies from Irregular, Scotia and GZG. I have one box of the IG sprues from the TL era, a few super heavies, some bombards and a couple of traitor warlords.

I think we will stick to 2000 points until the rule book is only used for reference instead of having to look up every situation that comes up. I'm sure we did many things wrong, which is why I didn't bother with a detailed battle report. We had fun and that is the important thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:08 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

To quote L4: DWWFY... (Do what works for you). :;):

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The first time I play any new game it always takes a while. That's part of the normal learning process. I'm glad you enjoyed. IMO 2000 points is big enough to get a feel for the game, but not too big that you feel overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(tchristney @ Mar. 04 2007,23:08)
In turn four a BL retinue supported by four daemonic beasts and one lord of change assaulted the leman russ company, which ended in disaster for the BL. Reinforced armour is very effective. Upon reflection, I should have summoned a bloodthirster instead.

Since you do have to declare what Mark of Chaos a formation has before the game, you wouldn?t have had the choice between a Bloodthirster and a LoC here.

That said, the combo of infiltrating Daemonic Beasts and a barging Bloodthirster with its TK attacks and Inspiring usually works wonders against those pesky Russes. Just make sure you force CC on as many tanks as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had one Khorne (+champion upgrade), one Tzeentch (+champion) and one undivided (+daemon prince) retinue, so the Bloodthirster would have been summoned by a different formation (both were in the same area.)

Another thing I learned was that when assaulting IG mech infantry, you are better off letting the chimeras use their better FF than actually getting them into CC. The infantry die in droves without armour if you can CC them. Once broken, you can finish off the vehicles.