Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Ordinatus!

Post subject: Ordinatus!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Greetings all -

I have prolly 20+ of the Imperial robots (Conquerer and Colossus)
from the old IG and SM sprues and am pondering how to base them for use in EA (for scenario-based games, of course! :)

I've considered putting 4 of them on a 'strip' base with a Tech-Marine in the center. I'm not sure if I should keep the two robot-types seperated or mix them. Suggestions?

By the 'ancient fluff' (circa WD 102 or so - I could dig it up for specifics if folks ask), each robot would carry quite a bit of hardware - the Conquerer carries a powerfist (Assault MW), Autocannon and Hvy Bolter (take a peek at a 40k-scale one here: )

Each Colossus has a Seige Hammer (Assault MW?), Hvy Flamer and Bolter (small arms) - you can see one in 40k scale here:

Thanks for any suggestions!
Larry

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think this would change with how you use them. If you are going to create house rules for them then base them to match.

If you are going to use them as they are in the "use as" list then they are just "ogryn" and I would base then in three or four to a stand.

Just my thoughts.

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We base them separately, as in SM1 & SM2, like Dreadnoughts. ?

I have all those models in detachment strength. SM1 had separate stats for each Robot, now I feel that was too cumbersome.

Fire Power Issue 1 has rules for E40K, -
Speed 15cm;
Range 45cm;
Fire Power 1;
Assault 2;
Armor 6+;
Rapid Fire. ?

Or just use Dreadnought stats. We have 5 Robots per detachment and they're sorted by type mostly, but I have some mixed dets. too., and even complete Robot Companies.

I think basing 4 on a stand is not the way to go, and they should be move as individual models, like Dreads. But I'm very "old School" ... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I concur with L4

I think of them as umanned Dreadies.  Thus, mine are all based individually on 1 cent coins.  If you want to use them in groups, you still can.  It allows maximum flexibility with your minis

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I base them individually using 20mm plastic square bases (though at the moment I am using the Dreads from the plastic Stompers box set as robots). As they are "different" to the current model they make ideal robots.

Imperial Robots Page

For rules, there are rules for robots in one of the Firepower magazines.

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd say that you base them 1 to stand, so that in other circumstances (Tournaments, etc) you can use them also as Dreadnoughts. And the smaller the base, the more flexible the squad is.

Realm of the Horseman ? ?The mirror site.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Way back in the days of AT-1 / SM-1, I based my metal robots / Dreadnoughts / Eldar walkers on what I think were quarter inch (maybe 1/2 inch?) metal squares and it was mainly for stability.

By SM-2 / TL, I based them on the round slotta bases they came with and in the case of the plastic robots, I mounted them on 20mmx20mm Epic plastic square bases.

I tried mounting them as singles, but they looked lonely so I added four SMs around them. I like the look of a robot with an accompanying infantry screen.

By Epic-40k, I mounted all the good metal Dreadnoughts, Robots, etc. on pennies.

All of my E-A builds are mounted on pennies.

I like pennies the best of all the mounting types. I also use pennies to base power armor for Dirtside II.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:10 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

If you live in the US, talk to someone who deals with vending machines for lots of free bases.  They get all sorts of tokens and slugs that people put in machines to try to get stuff for free.  I probably still have 50 roughly quarter-sized tokens that people pulled out of the paper machines.  I use them for things like dreads or Warmaster characters.  I'm sure they would work fine for robots or IG Hvy wpns squads (per the other thread).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (MaksimSmelchak @ 03 2003 June,03:14)
I tried mounting them as singles, but they looked lonely so I added four SMs around them. I like the look of a robot with an accompanying infantry screen.

Nice idea!  I'd like to see some pics if you have any handy :)

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tas,

(MaksimSmelchak @ 03 2003 June,03:14)
I tried mounting them as singles, but they looked lonely so I added four SMs around them. I like the look of a robot with an accompanying infantry screen. - Maksim

Nice idea! I'd like to see some photos if you have any handy. -Tas

I don't have any photos of the robots mounted with infantry, but I'll take some next time I get around to it.

I don't know about you, but I have more spare SMs than I'll ever use so adding four to a square base with a robot in the center was one more way to try and diminsih the pile.

That makes me wonder how they'd look on a long rectangular base. I imagine that they'd look better than my old square base guys.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was thinking that my Robots might be part of what I enter into the painting contest. ?:D

Dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone notice 'Epic_moderator' whom I think is Pixelgeek blowing a gasket over the kinds of posts in the forum?

I think it is all rather funny. I don't think anyone is paying attention.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yes, I've noticed.

I sometimes wonder about you Gandalf. You know you are "talking to the wind" on that forum. I've seen your post and agree with most if not all the points (I like that "Swords" fellow too, very insightful), but WHY BOTHER?

You know that:

- a. No one with any power to change things cares what you say.

- b. All you get is flak from the fanboys and the "yes-men"...

Mind you, I find some of the exchanges on those boards hilarious and entertaining and from that point I would frankly encourage you to keep feeding the Trolls there for my own amusement, but don't you get tired?

Why not stay here with us on this forum?

There are obviously more people here attuned to your opinions than on that list.

Now do you understand WHY I don't bother with that list?

Take it from someone who has run a project that has lasted longer than this so-called playtest, it takes an expert juggler to manage such wide-ranging people and opinions. Not everyone has the tact to do it right. If you ever wonder what I actually "DO" on the NetEpic list, this paragraph gives you the answer:

Crowd control. I keep members egos, opinions and attitudes in check without hurting anyones feeling in the process. Not as easy as it sounds. But in 6 years we have only had 1-2 incidents that could qualify as flame wars on our list and none are of the magnitude of some I have seen on the "playtest" forums.

So dude, dont beat your head against the wall. It's not worth it. The die is cast with the new game.

Sit back and watch the fireworks.....

Primarch.

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I sometimes wonder about you Gandalf. You know you are "talking to the wind" on that forum. I've seen your post and agree with most if not all the points (I like that "swords" fellow to, very insightful), but WHY BOTHER?

LOL. Well, I guess I like to fight. I have a high tolerance. I am really convinced that I am right, so the fact I am taking on seven or so at once doesn't bother me.

The fact guys like Swords and even Legion in here, hey, could they be the same guy?

Anyway, Swords has been pretty impressive and I am glad he seems to agree to many of my points cause I would rather be seen agreeing with him in the minority than with the "yes- men" who go along with whatever and not really know why.

Besides, sometimes I get bored at work. ?:;):

You know that:
- a. No one with any power to change things cares what you say.
- b. All you get is flak from the fanboys and the yes men...

Ultimately I'd have to really care how any of them feel about me, I guess. I guess that when I argue for something and all I hear is "Jervis wants it this way" or "I'm sick of hearing about this" then I think it is a cop-out and whether it is an issue that would improve the game. I know Jervis is stuck on his issues, so I guess I am as well.

I didn't think things have really gotten all that funny. I was even showing restraint arguing with the Geek.

BTW way, I got banned from the Warhammer Society Forum as Gandalf the Grey and came back as Gandalf the White. ?Someone asked, "Didn't you get banned?" and I replied "yes and now I am even stronger." Hahaha. If I am banned again, I'm coming back as Dracula.

I'll agree with you though, the Epic Playtesting Forum has to be one of the worst forums I know. I don't know why people are more easy going else where, and besides a couple of lamos at the WS, they are pretty cool there as well.

Mind you I find some of the exchanges on those boards hilarious and entertaining and from that point I would frankly encourage you to keep feeding the Trolls there for my own amusement.

Deal! ?:p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

LOL. Well, I guess I like to fight. ?I have a high tolerance. ?I really am convinced that I am right, so the fact I am taking on seven or so at once doesn't bother me. ?The fact guys like Swords and even Legion in here, hey, could they be the same guy? Anyway, Swords has been pretty impressive and I am glad he seems to agree to many of my points cause he I would rather be seen agreeing with him in the minority than with the yes men who go along with whatever and not really know why.

Besides, sometimes I get bored at work.

Ah yes, I remember when I used to be that way, right after the release of... Epic-40k... It's fun to heckle those with thin skin, especially when defending such an easy target as that game. I did a lot of that while I trained so I had a fair amount of time in some rotations, it was good to kill time and laugh.

Keep in mind it DOES get boring after a while though.

As for GW forums, you tend to get banned rather frequently just by stating simple, logical facts, so I'm not surprised by this. I keep a strict policy of non-involvement in official GW forums. I'd perhaps enjoy them more if detractors would get beyond counter arguments like "SM will never come back so get over it" or "Jervis said 'x' so deal with it" and their many variations.

I just wish for once they'd give the answer we all know they are thinking but don't have the guts to say...

..."We don't care about all you old gaming Cads since we already pumped you for the cash that you're worth"...

IF they did that, I'd RESPECT them a whole lot more...

...then again as a native New Yorker, we think nastiness and sincerity are synonyms! }:)

Primarch.

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next