Login |  Register |  FAQ

Couple of questions for game yesterday

Post subject: Couple of questions for game yesterday
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Couple of things that came up in our game yesterday that we weren't sure about:-

1) Do weapons with the Ignore Cover ignore work in assault?

2) Does a macro barrage ignore the penalty to hit for units in cover?

3) We had a specific scenario where an Ork landa wanted to land and assault a unit of Deathstrike missiles, that were covered by the ZoC of a unit of sentinels but the 2 units were not intermingled. Can the ork landa move into the sentinel ZoC to assault the Deathstrike

4) is disembark 'wholly within 5cm'?

I appreciate that some (or all) of these may be addressed during the 5 minute warmup - but if so what do people normally play?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Couple of questions for game yesterday
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1. Depends where the Ignore Cover is. If it is in ranged weapon (ie. weapon has a range with no brackets) then no. If it is in small arms or assault weapon, then if that weapon is on use, then yes to those attacks.

2. Yes. Oh, mistake. I read the question wrong. It ignores the save, but not the -1 modifier to hit.

3. I don't think so, but I admit that I'm not entirely sure.

4. That's probably within 5min warm-up. But we play yes.

Edit: Fixed my answer to question 2 as I made a mistake.

Last edited by Hena2 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

2. I'm going to disagree here. Macro Weapon only ignores the saves for cover, not the -1 to hit. That's why the Black Legion Decimator has 3 Barrage Points, Ignore Cover, Macro Weapon.

3. From memory, there are two slightly different answers, depending on the exact situation. Overall, this gets referred to as 'screening from behind'.
3a. Landing outside the screening ZoC and having the disembarking units move into the Scouts' ZoC to contact the Deathstrikes - this is the same as a regular ground unit assault, and is allowed. The NetEA and EpicUK FAQs for this are in the Scouts sections, and are worded slightly differently with the same effect - you cannot screen from behind!
3b. Landing inside the screening ZoC. NetEA has this as a 5m warmup issue. I can find forum discussions saying that it's allowed in EpicUK, but can't find anything about it in the EpicUK FAQ or errata files. https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... =4&t=32618

4. For 4, 'wholly within' is probably fairer, but bear in mind that there are a few combinations like fully loaded Orkeosauruses or Plague Towers where you can't physically fit all the transported units wholly within 5 cm of the transport if you're using the original models.

Edited for typos...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the quick responses.

1) The unit that has IC was the Ork Skorcha, which flamed some guard and then lent supporting FF to an engagement. We weren't sure if the IC would apply in that scenario.

2) we couldn't see anything that seemed to indicate MW barrage would ignore the -1 to hit, so will play that way

3) i'll have to deal with the scouts before i can air assault the deathstrikes in future games

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On point 3 - here is the previous chats.

https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 8&p=455983

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
2. I'm going to disagree here. Macro Weapon only ignores the saves for cover, not the -1 to hit. That's why the Black Legion Decimator has 3 Barrage Points, Ignore Cover, Macro Weapon.

You are right, I read the question wrong... I blame morning :).

Quote:
3a. Landing outside the screening ZoC and having the disembarking units move into the Scouts' ZoC to contact the Deathstrikes - this is the same as a regular ground unit assault, and is allowed. The NetEA and EpicUK FAQs for this are in the Scouts sections, and are worded slightly differently with the same effect - you cannot screen from behind!

Yes. I assumed that the screening scouts are in front with artillery on board edge. In that case you need to clear the screen first.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Others have answered the first few questions well but for question 4 most people I've seen play it as as a part of the base needs to be within 5cm but it can mostly be placed outside of 5cm.

The original rules didn't specify on being wholly within or not and the FAQ in the tournament pack says players can play it either way and it could be discussed in the 5 minute warm up before the game. Shame there isn't a definitive answer but partly within seems to be the way most people play it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:05 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

AnthonyS wrote:
1) Do weapons with the Ignore Cover ignore work in assault?

As Hena said, if it's on Small Arms or Assault Weapons, yes. In terms of how they're allocated, the defender must allocate them so that the special ability is used, if possible (ie they have to allocate to units that would get a cover save, you can't allocate IC to units out of cover and allocate normal hits to those in cover). Same goes for Lance and targets with RA.

Quote:
2) Does a macro barrage ignore the penalty to hit for units in cover?

Wartrader said it.

Quote:
3) We had a specific scenario where an Ork landa wanted to land and assault a unit of Deathstrike missiles, that were covered by the ZoC of a unit of sentinels but the 2 units were not intermingled. Can the ork landa move into the sentinel ZoC to assault the Deathstrike

5-minute warmup if you're playing NetEA, no if you're in the UK. Not sure where the rest of the community falls.

Quote:
4) is disembark 'wholly within 5cm'?

5-minute warmup again. New England plays wholly, treating it as a "move", as it doesn't give strip bases a longer range over squares. If you and your opponent are based the same then it doesn't matter.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17