Login |  Register |  FAQ

LoS for WE Formations and unit LoS for cover

Post subject: LoS for WE Formations and unit LoS for cover
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I was playing my first game in a long time last night and had a few things crop up that I could not find the answer to in the rules.

Do WE formations block LoS to each other , e.g a cluster of Knights trying to shoot down a narrow valley. Where is this explained as I could only find the para that says WE may block LoS but nothing else.

The next question is about how you apply the rules for cover. If you are shooting a unit part in cover and part not you can choose to take the -1 and hit the whole formation or only go for those out of cover. But how does it work where two units in the shooting formation can clearly see the target (one knight)so no cover but the final unit can’t see the whole model so it would count as in cover from the last unit.
Is LoS done unit by unit so two of the units would hit on normal and the third unit would get the -1
Or all three get the -1 because the target is in cover from the third unit?

Thanks in advance

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: LoS for WE Formations and unit LoS for cover
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not sure I understand your first question? As you say, the rules explicitly say WEs block line of sight so yes they do. Normal units do not.

All three would get -1. But you can choose per target class. For example "AP at in cover, AT out of cover, MW in cover". Remember also that "shooting at units in cover" really means "shooting at all units including those in cover".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
All three would get -1. But you can choose per target class. For example "AP at in cover, AT out of cover, MW in cover". Remember also that "shooting at units in cover" really means "shooting at all units including those in cover".

How would that apply to MW? They don't get to choose a target class to fire at.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

You can say MW is going in or out of cover, just not that it's going against INF or AVs.

@Bellerophon, so long as a firing unit has a clear LoS to at least one enemy unit then it can shoot out of cover. Their hits would be put into a pool that can be assigned to any unit out of cover that all units in the firing unit can see.

It comes down to a 5-minute warm-up discussion though. If only part of a unit is visible do you grant the -1 to hit? Locally, we only do this stuff for WEs, everything else has to be in area terrain to get the -1.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Re MW: What Dave said. Quite often it does mean in practice that you can effectively choose to fire MW at the infantry, because often infantry are in base contact with the AV transports.

Not sure what you mean Dave about the -1? The rulebook has quite a good section about Hull down (intervening terrain), and a WE is effectively just treated like a piece of terrain - the same rules apply.

In general I find the most important thing about the shooting rules and one that helps with interpreting them correctly is to remember that units don't shoot at specific units - you work these things out in phases and the link is indirect. So you work out which units are able to shoot at out of cover units, and thus also which units count as being out of cover, and then you pool the dice by type and allocate any hits to eligible targets. When determining what's hull down, some part of the model has to have unobscured line of sight to the model (usually taken to mean it can draw LoS to all parts of the model, though you can discuss if there's a specific part of the firing model you want to use I guess). It can get complicated if different units with different weapons can see different units though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
Not sure I understand your first question? As you say, the rules explicitly say WEs block line of sight so yes they do. Normal units do not.

We the rules say “may” block LoS. Couldn’t find anything definitive or that would mention units of war engines.

Thanks so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bellerophon wrote:
Kyrt wrote:

We the rules say “may” block LoS. Couldn’t find anything definitive or that would mention units of war engines.

Thanks so far.

You mean this bit from 1.9.2?
"The only units that can block the line of fire are war engines (see 3.0). Other units do not block the line of fire for friend or foe."

War engines can block line of sight, other units can't. "Can", in the sense that they're capable of it and normal units are not capable of it. If they're in the way they block LoS; if they're not in the way then they don't :)