Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic UK Dark Eldar

Post subject: Re: Epic UK Dark Eldar
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to Horatio as well - it wouldn't have affected the game given that the two units that came on over a few turns via the webway just made an unsuccessful run on the Great Gargant, but still.

Bit of a shame though, it certainly makes me reconsider bothering with scourges and mandrakes compared to just taking more wyches and another slavebringer though. Hellions might be worth another look at least now i guess!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Going back through the UK vaults - Reserves - This rule has been in the list from the first draft and looks to have been ported over from the NetEA list at that time. Certainly something that can be reviewed.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
Going back through the UK vaults - Reserves - This rule has been in the list from the first draft and looks to have been ported over from the NetEA list at that time. Certainly something that can be reviewed.

I don’t see any reason not to amend it. I play Dark Eldar a lot and didn’t spot this (or think it seemed too strong) in my game against Rug at the weekend.

Having the flayed one teleport or webway option is an interesting one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
dptdexys wrote:
RichardL wrote:
On a related note, can a unit placed in the webway still teleport instead if they have the ability?

See faq , I'd say it would be the same for other armies like necron and Dark Eldar

Quote:
Q: When do I decide what method Eldar reserve formations will use to enter play?
A: In the GT scenario reserve formations with multiple deployment options must be designated as to deployment method during setup – webway, air transport or teleport..

Necrons only have flayed ones that can teleport and could actually use portals given armoured vehicles can't use them, and in their case they can use either teleport or use portals as far as i'm aware to get onto the battlefield.

They can but must still choose which option will be used when setting up as the Necron Phase Out rule is what allows the formation to choose how it will "re-enter" the battlefield.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are people saying when using DE
  • that they exceeded the “3 units maximum” rule, and put 4 units in reserve?
  • that they were relying on “3 units per portal” and used the portable portal more than once?
  • or that they declared the unit in reserve in the webway, but then teleported the unit instead (which is actually off-topic, especially with reference to Necrons)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RugII wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
Allowing multiple use of the portable portal - which can be placed anywhere on the table and is unkillable - would be a bit good

The mobile portal is not in unkillable, it’s extremely vulnerable as it can only be attached to an infantry stand as opposed to a skimming reinforced armour super heavy tank, can only be used after the owning unit has activated, and also unlike the Stormserpent portal it can be blocked. Dark Eldar also have no ground AA to protect it. The one use mobile portal essentially costs a minimum of 300pts also making it more expensive than the Stormserpent.

The advantages the mobile portal have over the Stormserpent are that it can be FAR faster (135cm), can be transport in an aircraft, and it can pop out the Webway itself!

The Executioner Landing Module initially had a Webway Portal built in, I’m not sure why it went.

This is going off topic though, the point is there are currently two versions of a rule with the same name.

RugII wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
Allowing multiple use of the portable portal - which can be placed anywhere on the table and is unkillable - would be a bit good

The mobile portal is not in unkillable, it’s extremely vulnerable as it can only be attached to an infantry stand as opposed to a skimming reinforced armour super heavy tank, can only be used after the owning unit has activated, and also unlike the Stormserpent portal it can be blocked. Dark Eldar also have no ground AA to protect it. The one use mobile portal essentially costs a minimum of 300pts also making it more expensive than the Stormserpent.

The advantages the mobile portal have over the Stormserpent are that it can be FAR faster (135cm), can be transport in an aircraft, and it can pop out the Webway itself!

The Executioner Landing Module initially had a Webway Portal built in, I’m not sure why it went.

This is going off topic though, the point is there are currently two versions of a rule with the same name.

Sure, agreed, but my comment was about being able to use it multiple times - which unlike the storm serpent could not be destroyed as it is laid on the board by the unit rather than being carried by it. Imagine having this thing in your deployment zone from the beginning of turn 1 :) I don't think this buff is really needed and as you say is not really the issue at hand.

So back on topic, I don't really see why you should be limited to 3 either. I can sort of understand why the portable gate might only count for reserving one formation in the webway but honestly it seems a pointless restriction in the first place. You could never bring more than 5 on anyway and if anyone wants to pay points for more than 4 formations, keeping one off until turn 4, all power to them. Simplest would be to align the rule with Biel tan but could even just be removed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ginger wrote:

This one.

Playtests and feedback welcome on removing the 3 formations maximum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tiny-Tim wrote:
Ginger wrote:

This one.

Playtests and feedback welcome on removing the 3 formations maximum.

I would like to see the “Webway Portal” rule to be consistent across lists and sacrosanct in the same way that the other rules introduced by Swirdwind are like “Hit and Run” and “Lance”.

Kyrt, the Mobile Portal is one use only for the whole game.... AND for the turn, furthermore it can only be deployed at the end of the carrying character’s action, if the character dies before the Portal is used it is lost and it can’t be deployed if the character is broken. The Mobile Portal can be blocked. It’s use is a massive gamble, using it a second or third time would be an even greater gamble. Similar to the Coterie always being the BTS rule, the Mobile Portal being single use only is a largely unnecessary detail as the carrying character unlikely to survive another turn!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IMO The description of the portable portal definitely should be removed to the special rules page for clarity.

Kyrt’s comments notwithstanding, I think people should test and comment on multiple deployment and use of the portable portal. (Don’t forget that it is removed each turn).

I would also suggest people comment on the use of a barrage template as the portal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RugII wrote:
Kyrt, the Mobile Portal is one use only for the whole game.... AND for the turn, furthermore it can only be deployed at the end of the carrying character’s action, if the character dies before the Portal is used it is lost and it can’t be deployed if the character is broken. The Mobile Portal can be blocked. It’s use is a massive gamble, using it a second or third time would be an even greater gamble. Similar to the Coterie always being the BTS rule, the Mobile Portal being single use only is a largely unnecessary detail as the carrying character unlikely to survive another turn!

You've still got your wires crossed. Incredulous as it may be, I do know how it works :) I only made a simple reply to Ginger that IMO we should avoid buffing it by making it multiple use once laid down, that's all. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as it is - a good ability on a fragile unit.

Also agree that the limit should just be consistent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

*Bump*

Is this going to get updated in the list or stay as is?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

As the list is currently under played, it will probably remain the same for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:25 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I can see that Dark Eldar have only been used at eleven tournaments but four of those times were by people from my club (me and David) so we’ve a strong interest in an update!

If there’s anything we can do or help with we’ve got some experience and would be happy to help out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've used them a few times as well - it generally went rather well other than a rather traumatic experience against David's Sisters of Battle...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
I've used them a few times as well - it generally went rather well other than a rather traumatic experience against David's Sisters of Battle...

That's what you have to do with witches: burn them