Login |  Register |  FAQ

Basing advise...

Post subject: Basing advise...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, i have decided to bite the bullet and have started to put paint to my models... and now I find myself unsure as to what type of base to go with.

I have a set that can either be used for Barran or Krieg and need some advise.... good old goblin green? Ash? Mud? Also how to actually get the results.

Some advise would be appreciated!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Basing advise...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What color are your troops and tanks?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Going for a WW1 French theme. So (GW paints) Altodrf Blue, highlights of Calgar Blue tops with Evil Suns Red pants.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5e1q0q9nev4f ... 9.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

that's a pretty color (thanks for the actual picture as I don't actually know any current GW paints)

I think with that tone of blue an ash base (unless it was very very light) might darken and hide the army on the table (good for real-life, not so good in wargaming) so I would suggest something more in the tans or even martian reds perhaps.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd go with a warm brown drybrushed up to a tan.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah check out VGC Desert Yellow for a base. Hit it with brown wash (AP strong tone ink for instance). Drybrush with tan and perhapsn even all the way up to Bone

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd go for a drybrushed mid brown with clumps of flock, clump foliage, ect glued on randomly in patches.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I highly recommend Vallejo pumice desert I think it is called. They make plain kinds or colored pumice.

Use a small brush and apply after models are painting and then give it a wash. Can dry brush after or add some grass and looks great.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah all their textured stuff is basically just latex paints so you can mix it with other paints, wash, and pigments before and after application. My personal preference is the sandy paste which on 6mm allows still allows sculpting and, with dilution in water, various textures/

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps not helpful but I was looking to use a sandy colour on mine, although I'm still up in the air on overall colour scheme. I tried to find the finest sand I could but scale wise it still appeared as large rocks. I've ended up buying a load of powder from my local shop, which is basically whats's left when people cut stone up. Basically slate dust and other mineral dust, but I got it in bargain good sized bags. Might be worth looking at, contact a stone mason, rather than pay exhorbitant model prices for a little jar of powder. In my eyes it's what sand would actually look like in that scale. Rightly said earlier, if you do the bases realistically, you won't see the model. Tactically good but game wise,........

You don't mention what size/manufacturer of bases you'll be using? I bought a load of Flames of War bases, the plain flat ones in three sizes. I see them as just right, but am unclear which way up I'll put them? Upside down, the chamfer actually makes them easier to pick up. even with those though, I thought about it, as I do actually like seeing just the model on it's own on the gaming table.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with tan. Your army is a cool and somewhat dark color so you want to contrast it with a warm and light color.

For very fine sand I'd go to a pet store and look in the reptile section. You should be able to find it in bags that aren't too big, but will have more enough for an Epic army.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you hit the pet store, definitely don't go for the Budgie sand. Someone told me it was the finest grain, but it has bits of shell in it, I assume, for the birds to sharpen their beaks on.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love basing models. Not to be over-confident but I think my bases are some of the best I've seen in Epic scale. Of course this came through hours of trial and error but I can give you a lovely demonstration. This may sound odd but hear me out. The sand you want to use is chinchilla sand. You can buy it in any pet store. Now you only want to use 9/10th of it, the other 10th mix fine ballast sand. It is slightly larger but not so large as to draw attention only make the ground even and natural. Next you will need Static Grass 2mm Bulk Unit. Dark Green 1/2 Gallon. Very affordable. Still you will have to trim the grass with a very sharp tiny pare of scissors.

My personal preference is to also put my tanks on bases. When I do this, Land Raiders for example, I also put a bit of green stuff on the base and indent tread marks, let dry and paint them.
As to the base itself I would use GW'd Devlan Mud or Vallejo's Charcoal Brown. I will show you an example if I can find out how to post a photo in this subsection.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/ ... aider2.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/ ... kaiBT1.jpg

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god." -Velvet Acid Christ

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now, I have to agree on the different size sand. On large scales, I'll mix different grain sizes as that appears more natural. I've looked up chinchilla sand, and often it is referred to as 'dust.' Looking at some sellers it appears that it already has different scales of grain in it (although some sellers will knock out anything), but one for a trip to the pet shop I think. Although when I went prior and asked for the finest sand that they did, I ended up with the Budgie! I was also going to shy away from static grass as I thought it would not really work, but looking at it, it does very well. Nice models by the way. Any details on small bricks etc and other scatter/scenic bits for bases, then say. I was looking towards some sort of mud as well. You can mix something in with the powders so more research needed.