Login |  Register |  FAQ

EPIC-UK Rules Clarifications

Post subject: Re: EPIC-UK Rules Clarifications
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
So, 3 or 4 would be how you would have to place the original template (your choice, being the attacker). Note that the template has to be over an infantry MODEL on the stand to count as being over that unit though.

That was my reading as well, although locally we tend to play by bases rather than models to reduce arguments/speed things up.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Darn! (My Eldar continue to cower deeper behind woodlands !)

Thanks for the diagrams Ian - very useful!

Being a thoroughly decent chap, Ian does offer a cover save to those units out of LOS - is that also correct?

(Though as he points out above, being a despicable nurgle player he ignores it anyway ! ;-) )

Have to say though this does seem to be somewhat counter to the spirit of the rules which provides indirect as a specific skill!

Likewise (though I get the argument that CAP battles can get out of hand therefore they are not allowed) this does seem counter to the RAW which states (quoting this from memory ) "up to one unit on cap may immediately perform an intercept action in response to an enemy." I get why it's played this way and happy to play to it but I feel like it should be clarified somewhere specifically in the FAQ or tournament packs. (Apologies if I've missed it.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indirect lets you ignore LoF entirely, apart from doubling the range. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:00 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

As Dave posted, 3 or 4 are both correct, as they both conform to

1: at least one unit being within range and LoS of the firing unit

and

2: the barrage template is then placed to at least partially cover the maximum number of units from the target formation.

Note, the barrage template itself is never referenced, so does not need to be placed within range or LoS, it just has to be covering at least one unit which is within range/LoS. This means you can efectively shoot round a corner with something like Ork soopaguns if at least a part of one unit from the target formation is poking out around the corner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We also don't give stands out of LoF a cover save/-1 to hit, they only get it when they're in cover.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
dptdexys wrote:
No, you cannot place the first template out of range or line of sight or out of range,only the extra templates can be placed out of line of sight but must be placed after the 1st one is placed and touching it.

You have to place the first template in range and in line of fire and covering as many units as possible if there is a choice. Only then do you check for extra templates and their placement, you cannot place the extra templates first.

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk for asking, but could you please provide a rules quote for this? All I can find is a requirement that at least one enemy unit be in LoF and range, not the template, and I've quoted rules text that supports this.

I'd misread your post, thought you had meant you could place the extra template first and then place the first template.
Re reading it I now know you meant clipping the unit in LOS and range with the initial template, not clipping it with another template.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the diagrams, most helpful in describing the problem.
As MikeT says, even where using direct fire, 3 is correct assuming that it can cover a model in unit A, while 4 is correct for indirect fire as it covers one more unit.

Regarding the -1 to hit, this should be applied to hit enemy units A, C-E when fired at by direct fire as these units are partially or completely obscured from the firer, but not to units hit by indirect fire which assumes that the units are being observed by some third team or satellite. As others say, the -1 will always apply to hit units that are actually in cover.

LoL, snap Hena. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
Indirect lets you ignore LoF entirely, apart from doubling the range. ;)

Yeah, but surely only missiles should shoot round corners ! ;D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have you never seen projectile vomiting? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a bit late to the party on this one...

Apologies we played the BP template placement wrong in our game Blip. I'd been told (somewhere along the line at a previous tourney) that the first template had to be placed fully in range, although subsequent ones didn't.

I now see (and happily so! ;) ) that is not the case.

Ginger wrote:
Regarding the -1 to hit, this should be applied to hit enemy units A, C-E when fired at by direct fire as these units are partially or completely obscured from the firer

Huh. I didn't know that either. Never seen it played like that, although admittedly most of the time people are dropping BP on me they're skulking around and doing it 'indirect'....

Good informative thread... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Reedar wrote:
Apologies we played the BP template placement wrong in our game blip.

Huh. I didn't know that either. Never seen it played like that, although admittedly most of the time people are dropping BP on me they're skulking around and doing it 'indirect'....

Good informative thread... :)

No hard feeling at all, just trying to get to the bottom of it before I teach new players wrongly! :-)

Btw: as I recall it it was the craven orks skulking about behind cover! :-p

Now I feel like when I asked about suppression and ground flack - answer : we all do it as the rules, only slightly different!! :-)

Regarding the cover question, my inclination is to go with the no cover option (unless the unit is actually in cover) for realism : the shell has "lobbed" the obstruction and exploded. But in game terms in-cover makes some sense otherwise it's a massive boost to barrages? Who's going to decide ?!? :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting. Not so good that it is unclear about the -1 cover save but still...

Quote:
Here's my explanation to this. A directly fired weapon (eg. shooter has his own instruments to guide the shooting) doesn't see a reason to aim the blasts to do much damage behind a building and focuses the blasts to destroy targets in sight. Indirectly fired weapon has other means to instruct them (such as satellites, aircrafts, ground spotters etc) and has more information on what is behind the building and thus focuses the blasts to damage the entire force and not just the visible sections of it.
Sounds fair but how do you explain the extra range the weapon might get and the fact that you still have to hit as many units as possible. It will probably never happen but lets say 2 units is out in the open and a little bit away is 3 units from the same formation peaking out from behind a building. Will this force me to shoot at the 3 in cover or can I ignore them and just hit the 2 in the open?

We just play it without the -1 cover save for simplicity

Quote:
1.9.8 Barrages
Q:Is it possible to place extra Barrage templates so that they cover units that no weapon contributing to the barrage has range or a line of fire to?
A:Yes, but only the extra templates
Perhaps it is my English that is crap but doesn't this Q&A need some attention. I read it as only extra templates may hit targets out of range or LOF. So a weapon with BP but without Indirect may not hit units out of sight...?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

uvenlord wrote:
Quote:
1.9.8 Barrages
Q:Is it possible to place extra Barrage templates so that they cover units that no weapon contributing to the barrage has range or a line of fire to?
Perhaps it is my English that is crap but doesn't this Q&A need some attention. I read it as only extra templates may hit targets out of range or LOF. So a weapon with BP but without Indirect may not hit units out of sight...?

There is nothing wrong with your English, it does need rewording if it is to be correct:

Q:Is it possible to place extra Barrage templates so that none of the units covered are within range and line of fire of a weapon contributing to the barrage?