Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Keeping Epic Alive

Post subject: Re: Keeping Epic Alive
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I LOVE that everyone is so enthusiastic about this, and I'd like to address a bunch of different ideas here - I think there are some really great ones that we should work on! However, it's 3am and I just finished this battle report -

This is my effort toward keeping Epic alive. I want to create high quality, all-painted battle reports on good terrain. What gets a wargame geek more excited than an awesome battle report? Not much, right?! I'm hoping I can produce battle reports of high enough quality that I can get them featured on other wargames sites. Without further ado...

http://xenocidalmaniac.wordpress.com/20 ... vs-necron/

Blood Angels
Black Legion
Codex Marines
Imperial Fists

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Fantastic battle report! I really liked the organization, the presence of a narrative, and the photos. Keep up the great work!

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's a link to a load of pictures of my army.

http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... =7&t=27968

We could try to compile some stuff and find some way of presenting it to the wider wargaming community? Get an article on BoLS or something? And keep articles appearing?

I'm planning on starting a Vanaheim Air Cav army, using only proxies, so that could work as a monthly or fortnightly article to show the army growing and using models easily available to anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27998

Link to my article on getting into the hobby.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Luke wrote:
Paint bigass beautiful epic armies and disseminate photo's of same on sites where misguided 40k fans hang out. :spin

I found a picture of a beautiful epic army while googling for squat models. Does that count? ;D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ciciro wrote:
Luke wrote:
Paint bigass beautiful epic armies and disseminate photo's of same on sites where misguided 40k fans hang out. :spin

I found a picture of a beautiful epic army while googling for squat models. Does that count? ;D

Hi!

I would say so. ;D

Whatever brings more enthusiasts into the fold is good. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi guys I'm new around here. Haven't played Epic in 18 years, but I've found myself keen to get involved. As a new recruit, I figure I might indicate what has attracted me to this game with hope that it helps you form some opinion around effective assets to attract and maintain new players.

The sequence of events that got me motivated went something like this:

i) Local event. I noticed Epic listed as one of the 2015 Cancon events (I'm Australian- Cancon is an annual gaming event down here). Fond memories of the game but had no idea Epic was still going, and was thrilled to learn that a community had sprung up to maintain the game. Write-up at the event level was enticing and I wanted more info.

ii) Strong forum. Went looking for information, had a look around ebay, ended up here. Forums seemed active, people seemed articulate and polite, players seemed to be passionate and contributing resources.

iii) Great introductory articles and picture heavy battle-reps. Can't say how many times I've read Scutarii's introductory post, and I've used all of the info in that post to track down most everything I need. Can't rave enough about that kind of information for new players, particularly when it's friendly and well written- it really, really helps. Similar story with the battle reps you offer up around here. I've read through Xenocidal's (for example) well constructed Necron v Chaos rep many, many times, if only for confirmation that this game can look great and confers enough strategic depth to tickle the brain, so to speak.

iv) Well structured, easily accessible, up-to-date rule-set, all required assets available from a central site. Accessed with thanks to tips on this forum.

So that's it... pretty simple but, combined with fond memories of the game, enough to get me motivated to join in.

Things that I'm hoping to track down as I delve deeper into the game might include:

i) Strategy articles and army breakdowns. These usually pop up on select blogs after a good bit of looking around.

ii) An online client- Vassal or similar. It usually takes one 'champion' to maintain a Vassal online client for a game, but this is usually enough to build a solid community of online players. Where communities are small, players are older/ time-poor and games are hard to come by, increasingly online clients and/or play-by-mail is becoming a sad necessity.

iii) A podcast or dedicated youtube channel. If there is nothing going at the moment, would it be possible to approach Beasts of War, Miniwargaming or a similar well-known game-centric channel and ask them to cover the game? The exposure would be great and would certainly draw people once they worked out the creative freedoms currently involved under Epic...

Which brings me to a bit of flag waving...

I'm chuffed to have found this game. I feel like I've been looking for it for a long time. Guys you're sitting on a fantastic tool-set and I think most board-gamers would flip if they worked out the potential here- 6mm scale, proxies accepted, rules community maintained, new development welcomed. What this spells out to me is... i) 3d printing (or traditional sculpting) is welcomed and it'll be relatively cheap owing to scale, ii) Rules will be fast to update as required and never stagnate and iii) People with an interest in developing new lists can add to the game experience for everyone. It's really cool to my mind- a rare example of an empowered, creative community that can take the game where they want to.

Looking forward to getting involved, guys- I'm keen to launch into 3d printing / scratch-building a Necron army and look forward to posting updates here. Thanks for your work to bring the game to this point & power to you- your game and your community deserve a lot of interest!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:18 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Great post David_Mac, welcome along, very glad to have you here! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

David_Mac wrote:
ii) An online client- Vassal or similar. It usually takes one 'champion' to maintain a Vassal online client for a game, but this is usually enough to build a solid community of online players. Where communities are small, players are older/ time-poor and games are hard to come by, increasingly online clients and/or play-by-mail is becoming a sad necessity.

Who needs Vassal when you've got Tabletop.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

A hearty welcome sir!

You've come to the right place. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:42 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Welcome aboard and a great first post.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome (home ;) after your 18 year hiatus)!

David_Mac wrote:
iii) Great introductory articles and picture heavy battle-reps. Can't say how many times I've read Scutarii's introductory post, and I've used all of the info in that post to track down most everything I need.

Perhaps Scuttaris post should be stickied? Anyone mod around here who could do that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:37 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Welcome indeed David_Mac!
David_Mac wrote:
i) Local event. I noticed Epic listed as one of the 2015 Cancon events (I'm Australian- Cancon is an annual gaming event down here). Fond memories of the game but had no idea Epic was still going, and was thrilled to learn that a community had sprung up to maintain the game. Write-up at the event level was enticing and I wanted more info.

Are you planning on attending Cancon next year?
It looks like a few of us West Aussies will be over there again.
Last year was a LOT of fun and it's great to finally get to know the people you've been communicating with for years!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:48 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hmm Cancon is no further for me than it is for some of you Western Australian lads I suspect. I should really head over next year, (checks website) which is coming up soon now actually given Cancon is late January. Are there details of the Epic 2015 competition somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:03 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Markconz wrote:
Hmm Cancon is no further for me than it is for some of you Western Australian lads I suspect. I should really head over next year, (checks website) which is coming up soon now actually given Cancon is late January. Are there details of the Epic 2015 competition somewhere?

Here's a link to the WargamerAU thread about Cancon 2015.

I was going to apologise for being off topic then I realised that Cancon's Epic Armageddon tournament is exactly what this thread is about.
We had 18 players last year and some of us had to travel over 7000km's to play 6 games of Epic.
I believe the numbers are up for this coming year... not bad for a supposedly dead game!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next