A lot of Questions.

Post subject: Re: A lot of Questions.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
DESIGN CONCEPT
Assaults
The rules for assaults that follow are a crucial part of the Epic rules, and so it’s important to understand what they represent. Unlike most wargames, where assaults only really cover hand-to-hand combat, in Epic an assault covers everything that happens when a formation is ordered to assault an enemy formation. To put this another way, if you think of an assault as covering everything that happens in a typical 4-6 turn game of Warhammer 40,000, then you won’t go too far wrong!
This means that while hand-to-hand combat (called close combat in Epic) can be a part of what happens in an assault, it is by no means everything that happens. You will find it quite common for assaults to be resolved without any units making it into close combat at all, just as games of Warhammer 40,000 can be resolved without any close combat taking place.
One final point that needs to be made here is that an assault only occurs if a formation takes an engage action. This means it is possible for enemy formations to end up very close to each other (less than 15cms) without having to fight an assault. This reflects your troops’ natural inclination to get under cover when they are close to the enemy unless they are ordered to attack.

This is the part Dptdexys is talking about. Assaults are handled in a abstracted/simplified way. One shouldn't think of the units as having static positions in an assualt even if the miniatures are static. This way there is no need to keep score of who was in range of who/what. It makes it easier/faster. Basically you're either in or out (within 15 cm and Line of fire of an enemy or not).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Borka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmmm,i know the Rules for Assaults and the dseign notes and i understand them...

hmmm...maybe some pictures help...

Ok...

the Forces of Destruction dares to assault the Emperors bravest Canonfodder.

after a lot of normal hits (praise the Emperor) against the Minions of Chaos, the situatiion looks like this

Commissar Mc'Kills Powerfist of Veangence had hit too.... Can i know allocate the hit into the Face of Mr. Evil Lord of Doom?

If No..ok...in this case i dont know why we posted so much...it was just my bad english and i have to :{[]

If yes...next round:

Quote:
Hits from macro-weapons can only be
applied to units that are in a position to be hit by a macro- weapon.

Quote:
I think I see what's confusing, the section you've quoted is for all MW attacks, ranged shooting as well as assaults. It looks as though you thought it was just for the assault allocation.

yes and no..

Yes, i thought it is only for assaults. But thats not the point. The point is, that it counts for assaults too...not only shooting.
And when it count for assaults too, there must be a special restriction for the allication of MW-Weapons. Because there is a rule which say (for shooting AND Assaults)..
Quote:
Hits from macro-weapons can only be
applied to units that are in a position to be hit by a macro- weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Yes in your example Mr. Evil Lord of Doom will get the Powerfist in his face.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh... BlackLegion...maybe we can talk about it in our small german Forum?

http://epic-wargaming.de/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=1253#p1253

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, it can be hit by the CC MW attack.

Quote:
Hits from macro-weapons can only be applied to units that are in a position to be hit by a macro- weapon.

As others have said the mechanics for assaults in epic are abstracted. In an assault 'in a position to be hit' is not in relation to the particular stand with the MW but is worked out on the level of the formation as a whole.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only restriction to hit allocation is range - each unit must be within 15 cms of an opposing unit.
So, for CC MW to apply, the unit must be in B-B with a target unit. However the MW hit may be allocated to the nearest enemy unit that survives the normal round of combat.

For example consider 2x Terminators engage the end of a scout line (TM=termie, s=scout)

TM
. s1 . . s2 . . s3 . . s4
TM

Here, the Termies get 2x normal CC attacks and 2x MW CC attacks. Assuming that all attacks score hits, the normal hits are allocated to s1 and s2, and if these scouts die, the MW hits are allocated to s3 and s4 (assuming that s4 is within 15cm of one of the termies)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger:

Correct, that are the rules für allocation in assaults.

thats not a spezial rule for MW in assaults.. if i have 4 normal hits or 4 MW hits...ist doesnt't matter for allocation (jes, i know first normal hits, after them MW-hits.

and thats for me the ponit.

Why is
Quote:
Hits from macro-weapons can only be applied to units that are in a position to be hit by a macro- weapon.
in the Rules for Macro Weapons written, when the allocation rules for MW-Weapons in assault are the same as the for normal Weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Presumably it's just repetition, as the position is effectively 'in BtB with anything from the formation'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dptdexys wrote:
zombocom wrote:
One quirk of the game; as "popped up" is only a rule for line of sight, technically I think a skimmer transport can discharge troops while popped up...

Skimmers cannot embark or disembark troops whilst popped up.
Quote:
A skimmer that has popped up, ‘pops down’ at the conclusion of
the action. Skimmers on overwatch do not pop down until after
they make their overwatch attack. Skimmers with a transport
capacity may not embark or disembark units while they are
popped up, and if they are destroyed while they are popped up
then any units on board will be destroyed with no save.

Ah well, silly brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
Presumably it's just repetition, as the position is effectively 'in BtB with anything from the formation'.

Maybe....

I know the the old gamers see it, but if a beginner will read this passage

Quote:

i think he will not shout "Yes, this imply that i can allocate all units which are direct involved in assault, because its written in the spezial rule that (in assaults) Hits from macro-weapons can only be applied to units that are in a position to be hit by a macro- weapon, yeah...

I asked some friends and my wife (no, they never played Epic)...i explained them first the normal allocation Rules. After that i told them the passage and all said, that they would allocate the MW-hit in Range of the macro weapon...not the "direct involved", because iit is not written "directly involved" in the spezial Rule for macro weapons.

Instead is this written:
Quote:

In my eyes this passage is very confusing and should be removed, respectively shifted to
Quote:
Macro weapons Shooting Attacks:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok. I think you are asking about something that was debated at length a long time ago. The way the rules were originally written, you should allocate the MW hits *at the same time* as the normal hits. The problem being that this often results in the MW hits being 'lost' because the normal hit has already killed off the target unit.

There are a number of examples like this where the Epic community have debated the original rules with the designers and agreed to change them - in this case using a 2nd round of hit allocation and resolution for MW hits. These changes are in the online rules published in 2008, and in the "Tournament Pack".

However, at that time the Epic community were anxious to make the minimum changes necessary to the rules to ensure that they were approved and adopted by GW. So the second change that you refer to may well have been overlooked by mistake, or even deliberately ignored.

Now that GW is no longer supporting E:A, we might just possibly consider such revisions, though even now GW has the IP and copyrights to the words and as such is highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
However, at that time the Epic community were anxious to make the minimum changes necessary to the rules to ensure that they were approved and adopted by GW. So the second change that you refer to may well have been overlooked by mistake, or even deliberately ignored.

Now that GW is no longer supporting E:A, we might just possibly consider such revisions, though even now GW has the IP and copyrights to the words and as such is highly unlikely.

Thanks for your Anwser..

Thats i wanted to know.