Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 44  Next

GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer available)

Post subject: Re: GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer availa
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

admiral_tee wrote:
Hi guys,

Can I get confirmation, if possible, that the plastic infantry (i.e. on sprues) is also a part of this product withdrawal?

Tee

It is all going the way of the Dodo bird :'(

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Draccan wrote:

I am surprised there is no backlash on the gaming forums around the web. I have often found that we as a gamers (AND customers) are too forgiving.

What kind of company does this customers - let them spend so much money and then discontinue a product.

GW's business practices disgust me. Sure I could walk away, but it shouldn't be like that. I played their games since Rogue Trader was first released. Unfortunately the company is a far cry from what they once was.

This ninja stuff they are doing without even an official notice on the website is appalling...
I

Oh there will be backlash...I for one will be forking over the money in long distance calls to scream my dissatisfaction at the unlucky persons on the other end of the line. I will not go quietly in the night.

Yeah lets spend some more money, time and energy on LoTR V2.0 which is a dismal BORE...It's beyond me that the GW upper echelon has not drove their Titanic into the berg :sos ...what a joke....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

EpicBattleBaggz wrote:
admiral_tee wrote:
Hi guys,

Can I get confirmation, if possible, that the plastic infantry (i.e. on sprues) is also a part of this product withdrawal?

Tee

It is all going the way of the Dodo bird :'(

I would suspect that the plastic infantry will hang around a little longer. As I understand it, this is initially about the removal of metal. That said, there is little point in plastic infantry with no metal minis available (*cough* Chaos!) so I would expect them pulled in the end anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

EpicBattleBaggz wrote:
Draccan wrote:

I am surprised there is no backlash on the gaming forums around the web. I have often found that we as a gamers (AND customers) are too forgiving.

What kind of company does this customers - let them spend so much money and then discontinue a product.

GW's business practices disgust me. Sure I could walk away, but it shouldn't be like that. I played their games since Rogue Trader was first released. Unfortunately the company is a far cry from what they once was.

This ninja stuff they are doing without even an official notice on the website is appalling...
I

Oh there will be backlash...I for one will be forking over the money in long distance calls to scream my dissatisfaction at the unlucky persons on the other end of the line. I will not go quietly in the night.

Yeah lets spend some more money, time and energy on LoTR V2.0 which is a dismal BORE...It's beyond me that the GW upper echelon has not drove their Titanic into the berg :sos ...what a joke....
It's just a licensing merry-go-round. LotR is a huge IP stable, far bigger than GW's. Piggybacking onto LotR brings new customers through the doors, where they are exposed to GW's "better" products. After a short period of time collecting models, GW's own brands become meaningful to those people and therefore more valuable for GW. GW licenses their IP to computer games studios etc, who have wider market appeal and make lots of money.

Profit = ( LotR figure sales + additional 40K figure sales + additional 40K licensing value ) - ( cannibalised WHFB sales + LotR licensing fees + production costs )

Basically there's more to it than how good the game and models are. GW has to make choices about where to invest its resources (staff time, warehouse space etc) for where it will have maximal return and minimal risk exposure. And it's notable from the annual accounts that third party licensing of GW's IP (think Dawn of War) represents a large proportion of profit. Contrary to popular belief, GW doesn't actually have high profit margins for its models, mainly because its costs are so high compared to its competitors.

So, even if GW can make profit from Epic, it's hard to argue that it can make -more- profit than the alternatives. To give some example reasons that work against Epic:
1. Epic (as a full game system) requires a large range of models - comparable to 40K in number of sculpts
2. The proportion of sales that are cannibalised from 40K sales is not 100%, but still significant
3. Any additional third party licensing value of GW's IP would be minimal
4. Outcomes are unpredictable (i.e. risk is high)

To make matters worse, GW's two most recent experiences of launching Epic were not wild successes - they spent a lot of money on Epic 40K in particular that did not make a return. Unfortunately executives have a tendency to gloss over the detail of why that was - arguably it would not be the same if they did it again and learnt from their mistakes, but it would take some very strong will from someone very influential to change that perception.

As others have said, I think by far the best chance of seeing Epic again in the future lies in a limited edition non-expandable box set. That probably won't happen for a good while.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, this guy Blackwater Hollow on ebay is selling off a bunch of Forge World Chimeras for $12.12 per 3. That doesn't seem too unreasonable to me, except that he has A LOT of them. Are they re-casts, or is he a profiteer of the FW Exterminatus order on Epic? (or both?) I picked up some on a whim. They seem a bit off, but I've never had any FW, and some people say they are not consistently cast.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warmaster Tzeentch Horrors and Screamers gone :(

Again could slap myself for not ordering last week...

Maybe someone got some spare?
Will pay good money ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blackwater Hollow is a fixture of eBay for a while now (the UK equivalent is Marksfield miniatures)
Gi check the Muppets in Ebay thread for some of that story.

they're the type known for buying up huge lots and then piecing them out for huge markup.

I'm actually impressed a bit that he's not moved to price gouge.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I have to say, if they are legit FW models, the whole transaction was perfect. I got some trojan variants, and two compnies-worth of two types of chimera. The price was ok with me, they were well packed, and arrived quickly.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah he sells legit.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
It's just a licensing merry-go-round. LotR is a huge IP stable, far bigger than GW's.

Profit = ( LotR figure sales + additional 40K figure sales + additional 40K licensing value ) - ( cannibalised WHFB sales + LotR licensing fees + production costs )

Oh I completely understand the profit angle on LoTR...that's a no brainer. I'm not arguing that.
Just dissapointed in the fact that they are riding the wave of something way bigger than them and that's not what made them (GW) popular. It was the SG stuff that really started rolling the ball for them and to throw it away like they are just makes me sick. It was endless nights of Warhammer Quest that got me started in Fantasy. It was insane battles with Necromunda that got me hooked into 40K. It was Titanicus that got me into everything Epic. Not the flashy big screen version of an epic story that more than 85%-90% of movie fans have never, nor will ever read. Good job GW for being creative....not! :tut

Kyrt wrote:
So, even if GW can make profit from Epic, it's hard to argue that it can make -more- profit than the alternatives.

How much profit do you need? If your making a profit, why discontinue it? I say go third party and watch it soar! The Tac Com Community is a testament to that idea. ;D

Kyrt wrote:
To make matters worse, GW's two most recent experiences of launching Epic were not wild successes - they spent a lot of money on Epic 40K in particular that did not make a return. Unfortunately executives have a tendency to gloss over the detail of why that was - arguably it would not be the same if they did it again and learnt from their mistakes, but it would take some very strong will from someone very influential to change that perception.

That's TOTALLY GW's fault for poor rules, then instead of standing by their product, they deep-sixed it. That was piss poor management and marketing on their part. That was FUBAR. If they can't make money off of a game like Epic then they have no place being in the business. Epic is kinda like LoTR in that aspect.
How many other companies came out after that and have tried or are trying to mimic the success. There is definitely a niche for mass futuristic battles with giant robots...

Kyrt wrote:
As others have said, I think by far the best chance of seeing Epic again in the future lies in a limited edition non-expandable box set. That probably won't happen for a good while.

Probably right...but then again I'm sure we're going to find out soon enough next year. Let's see GW has a habit of alternating Fantasy then Sci-fi on their releases...Space Hulk first...Dread Fleet second...third??? The timing is looking good... :whistle

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

EpicBattleBaggz wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
So, even if GW can make profit from Epic, it's hard to argue that it can make -more- profit than the alternatives.

How much profit do you need? If your making a profit, why discontinue it? I say go third party and watch it soar! The Tac Com Community is a testament to that idea. ;D

Opportunity cost. It's better to dedicate your resources to something more profitable, and GW has a duty to maximise profit for its shareholders. Presumably if GW bins all those Epic sculpts, we'll see the void filled with something more profitable (MOAR SPACE MARINES!!11!) or even just more stock of existing lines. As an aside, if you've nothing better to do, hanging around Lenton and going through the bins might turn up some interesting stuff in the near future :)

Annoyingly for us of course, there's not a chance that GW will license its IP to miniature manufacturers to let them produce what GW think isn't worth their while. That's the bit that annoys me. The decision to cull I have a grudging understanding of, but the fact they didn't bother to tell anyone and that they will not license the IP to manufacturers who have a proven quality record are mistakes on their part IMO, borne out of laziness.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

EpicBattleBaggz wrote:
...Space Hulk first...Dread Fleet second...third??? The timing is looking good... :whistle

Third will be Blood bowl. Its been all but confirmed by reputable rumor mongers on warseer, and it would explain getting rid metal minis now, so they can charge for more for the finecast BB stuff they will re-release.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
It's just a licensing merry-go-round. LotR is a huge IP stable, far bigger than GW's.

Also they needed to keep it out of a competitors hands as they view it as a threat to WFB. Their IP is heavily based on Tolkein's. Hell everyone's is pretty much. :)

EpicBattleBaggz wrote:
Probably right...but then again I'm sure we're going to find out soon enough next year. Let's see GW has a habit of alternating Fantasy then Sci-fi on their releases...Space Hulk first...Dread Fleet second...third??? The timing is looking good... :whistle

I think they might be gunshy in trying this again. Dreadfleet was a bit of a sales debacle. Blood bowl will probably work in that model but after the reaction to Dredball I don't know if they're wanting to invest the time in that anymore.

Kyrt wrote:
Annoyingly for us of course, there's not a chance that GW will license its IP to miniature manufacturers to let them produce what GW think isn't worth their while. That's the bit that annoys me. The decision to cull I have a grudging understanding of, but the fact they didn't bother to tell anyone and that they will not license the IP to manufacturers who have a proven quality record are mistakes on their part IMO, borne out of laziness.

Agreed. On all counts other than laziness. They honestly believe that those lines are a distraction from the core product. I can hear the PHB in the meetings now, "If we can just get rid of those products then they'll HAVE to purchase 40k instead with it's higher price point". Ummm no, they'll just leave more than likely.

The sad/silly part was that because of SG I had been kept in the general orbit of GW and had actually thought of snagging the random 30k model here and there for my personal painting enjoyment. After the way this was handled they're never getting any more of my $

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only thing I'm truly worried about are the plastic Epic kits, but they seem safe for the moment. Will be a shame when they finally disappear though, is there even any other hard plastic 6mm kits out there?

Oh and if anyone needs something from the EU/nordic stock I could probably help out.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt: I don't see why GW would license Epic to someone else. If they did, that manufacturer would continue a steady, but slow trickle of models for a small, but stalwart fan base. If GW stops production altogether, they can do what I refer to as the "Disney vault" trick. Disney releases its films on video only once every few years, then they go "back into the vault," creating a forced rarity and, demand. This way, they create a market for their products to be re-released. GW are in the IP business, just like Disney. They have to re-sell the same stuff every few years. If Epic goes away, sure, a few smaller groups will try and fill the void with proxies, etc., but the won't be GW. Then, in a few years, GW can start all over again with much of the same IP, and make money. I think they are doing exactly the right thing .... for GW. Is it good for your average TacComm member? No. But we are not the target audience. We are already hooked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 44  Next