Login |  Register |  FAQ

Are there any Lists use the Thunderhawk Lander

Post subject: Are there any Lists use the Thunderhawk Lander
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are their any list that use the Thunderhawk lander - 40K or Heresy eras? Not to be confused with the Thunderhawk transporter.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Are there any Lists use the Thunderhawk Lander
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you mean the Space Marine Landing Craft, it's in the regular Space Marine list.

I've never heard of a 'Thunderhawk lander' before, other than the Transporter (which is in the Scions of Iron list). On the other hand I'm not up to date on SM stuff in the background.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aparently there are 2 distinct vehicle landing craft. One has the spaces for 6 rhinos, and is the lander. The transporter has room for 2 rhinos or 1 landraider. I can only find the thunderhawk transporter, but I have the model for the larger 2nd edition Epic Spacemarine released thunderhawk lander.

I can not see it in 4th edition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb wrote:
Aparently there are 2 distinct vehicle landing craft. One has the spaces for 6 rhinos, and is the lander. The transporter has room for 2 rhinos or 1 landraider. I can only find the thunderhawk transporter, but I have the model for the larger 2nd edition Epic Spacemarine released thunderhawk lander.

I can not see it in 4th edition.

Hmm. I think there's a mixup here.

The one that can carry 6 Rhinos (or Predators, Vindicators etc.) is the Space Marine Landing Craft, and is not a Thunderhawk. This is in the standard EA Space Marine lists, and as far as I'm aware it didn't exist as an in-game unit before EA. There was an Imperial Landing Craft way back in the day, but that was something different.
Attachment:
landing-craft.png
landing-craft.png [ 355.04 KiB | Viewed 3283 times ]

Then there are Thunderhawk Gunships which had four different models released, of wildly different sizes. https://miniwars.co.uk/epic-40k/miniatu ... k-gunship/

Thunderhawk Transporters were only released as a FW model, I think during EA era.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's called a Space Marine Landing Craft (the one that transports either 6 Rhinos or 4 Land Raiders).

Thunderhawk Lander isn't a thing and sounds like someone has got the names mixed up between the Landing Craft and the Thunderhawk Transporter.

The Landing Craft is in all marine lists. The Thunderhawk Transporter came out later and only got added to the Black Templars and the Horus Heresy lists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, because on one of the Epic 3D print site I offered the file was rejected as it was according to the person - the Spacemarine/Thunderhawk lander, not the Thunderhawk transporter. I was just confused that is all.

So what mini do I need for my Heresy era Alpha Legion army as a Thunderhawk transporter then?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is the old (now out of print) model for the Thunderhawk Transporter (there was also a variant carrying 2 Rhinos instead with slightly different clamps underneath). As you can see it looks like a modified version of a Thunderhawk, hence it being called a Thunderhawk Transporter.

There are 3d printable versions out here such as this one - https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-model ... ransporter The detail and proportions aren't as good as the original and I think it may be 40k scale but could be shrunk down. I haven't tried it myself (don't have a printer yet) but found it easily after a quick google. There might be alternatives out there too, I'm not sure.

A Landing Craft is a larger different aircraft and not a type of Thunderhawk. Just as the Stormbird is it's own aircraft and not called a Thunderhawk Stormbird. In game the Thunderhawk Transporter only has 2 DC same as a Thunderhawk whereas the Landing Craft is much bigger and has 4 DC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah it looks like it is a multi-part 40K scale model. I was hoping for something with just the main body/wings and then separate grabber claws. On a resin it might be okay, but oin my filament printer the detail would be lost and have too much of the filler/support lines left on it.