Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94

Armyforge Update (Online EA Force Creator)

Post subject: Re: Armyforge Update (Online EA Force Creator)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

epicarmybuilder.com Is currently £2.99 on 123-Reg. You'd pay more for a cup of coffee in Starbucks :P I'd buy it if need be. Any custom domain can be used for a GitHub page, and it seems like that would be the simplest solution. If not, I have a dedicated server I'm happy to throw stuff on.

Yeah, thought about https://www.net-armageddon.org, or even epic-uk, but maybe it should sit somewhere neutral to avoid confusion given it's a builder for multiple Epic groups as well as Warmaster?

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah the main issue is the netea page still links to the traitor builder site

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ISTR Adam really did not want it to be called 'army builder' due to trademark issues. The project can be forked and any domain you like chose, but may run into the same issues.

I don't think it will be possible to repoint the traitor-legion domain to github pages, appspot.com is a Google app hosting platform, so is just as proprietary as github.io. It could be redirected but again would need access to the google application to do so. I suggested several years ago that it'd be simpler to run it off github pages 'officially' and I also set it up in Heroku (so you can test branches too) but Adam never got round to it, so my suggestion to clean things up is...

- Tweak the github repo to remove the superflous 'war' prefix (this was a holdover as he had multiple sites in the same app - armyforge is only one of them). Put a simple 'this page has moved' link.
- Create a new thread with link to the github.io page and the github repo (contribution mechanism)
- Create some instructions in github about how to build and test your changes, to make it easier for non-technical people to contribute changes themselves
- A mod edit this thread to remove the appspot link, with & link to new thread in first and last post

Since the github pages URL is in use already, I getting a custom domain now would add more confusion, and is another thing for someone to maintain (and people don't like to share domain administration access).

I am not sure hosting it on net-armageddon.org is advisable as:
1. There are multiple 'unofficial' tools so hosting it on the "official" site might cause problems
2. It places the maintenance burden/expectation on NetEA
3. Access to the net-armageddon.org server is via CS, who is not so available either and doesn't tend to give it out either. I don't have any access any more since the half-completed migration, and it took a while for Dave to get it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94