Login |  Register |  FAQ

Games and Gears Battle Boards Kickstarter Imminent!

Post subject: Games and Gears Battle Boards Kickstarter Imminent!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For those of you who haven't been following them on Facebook, Games and Gears are about to start their kickstarter for their modular battle boards. As well as the plastic ones based on the DZC card boards they are looking to do some other textured types. Remember, they are planning to sell 6 2 by 2 boards for less than $100 (~£60).
The kickstarter was approved last week and they are ready with all the stretch goals, perks and videos.
Expect it to go live some point this week. :spin

Matt

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Games and Gears Battle Boards Kickstarter Imminent!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's live now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554 ... tle-boards.

I'm not sure how I feel about it - it looks nice, but I'm concerned about modularity (the tiles are 2'x'2, rather than 1'x1'). Also, it looks exactly he same as the Hawk Cityscape (and is over twice as expensive,) so I don't see a lot of added value in purchasing the plastic.

This is going to be a tough one...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I reposted this in the News Section at the top and people have been commenting there.

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26214

Yes they are the same designs as the Hawk boards, but they are hard plastic which clip together.
Sure they cost more than the card Hawk boards, but for me the 2 x 2 boards are going to be a lot better than the smaller ones. I followed the Secret Weapons Kickstarter for their 1 x 1 boards but their size put me off. Clipping 6 boards together should take a matter of minutes compared to the time needed to clip 24 of the SW boards together.

1) The boards won't just be laid on a table which can get pushed and knocked about, the 6 x 4 board will be a solid single piece when clipped together.
2) The boards are tough plastic which means they will take some wear and tear compared to some printed card ones.
3) The boards have an inch or so of depth to them, which means it will be possible to modify them with extra features that require depth. I plan on putting some canals, storm drains and craters in some of my boards.
4) Even with only 6 boards you have plenty of variations on layouts.
5) Price wise they are a steal compared to other similar products. These boards are £62 (≈$100) for a 6 x 4. Retail, I believe they mentioned somewhere in the region of £120 (≈$180). The Secret Weapon Miniatures KS had a pledge level of £125 (≈$190) for a 6 x 4 board. Retail prices I would expect to be higher. So they are expecting to retail the G&G boards less than the SWM had theirs during the KS. GWs Realms boards are £150 (≈$225) and you have to put up with permanent hills and a fixed theme. The card set that Hawk does, comes in at £30 (≈$45).

Obviously the themes aren't going to be for everyone, but if you are looking for something urban, sci-fi or village like, then these fit the bill.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hrmmmmm you know Matt, I think you've sold me on this. :D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I completely agree that the price can't be beat at all. My concern is that they are going to be a pain to transport - yeah they're more resilient than the card versions, but 2'x2' is pretty big. Also, that's a lot of plastic - these boards are going to be reasonably heavy.

Don't get me wrong - they're damn cool. I'm just saying that I'm going to have to think long and hard about this KS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I don't see these as really portable. You can but you can also drive a car with your feet-doesn't make it a good idea in the end. Much more for people and clubs that have dedicated gaming tables.

Totally unrelated: BM, you need to get back to your paint blogging, mate. I want to see that gargant!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As with any scenery or terrain, portability can cause problems. If they sort out the bags they are talking about, then I definitely plan on taking mine down to our club for a few games. But they will definitely be used more in my Mancave ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Yeah I don't see these as really portable. You can but you can also drive a car with your feet-doesn't make it a good idea in the end. Much more for people and clubs that have dedicated gaming tables.

What are you talking about? We have documentary evidence that people were driving their car using their feet for thousands of years before the invention of the internal combustion engine:
Photos do not lie, my friend. End of story.

Yeah, I do get your point about transport - I don't have a dedicated game room, so transport is a concern for me. Obviously, not for everyone though.
jimmyzimms wrote:
Totally unrelated: BM, you need to get back to your paint blogging, mate. I want to see that gargant!

Ugh, I know. I've been really lazy lately and haven't wanted to do much of anything. I'm getting back on the ball though.

BTW, I'll be moving my comments to the other thread, since it's more active - see you both there!