Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tell me about the Dark Eldar

Post subject: Re: Tell me about the Dark Eldar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's the current Tournament approved version. There's a play test version that's being looked at here on TacComs.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tell me about the Dark Eldar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been playing the Dark Eldar for a while now. There have been some changes to the list, but I have had rethought my tactic and style of play for them based on a number of battles, and feedback from others.

A good Dark Eldar army will have the Kabal Coterie (not mandatory anymore), at least 1 Flotilla, which I tend to buff to the max to make it last. I have a couple of Syndicates with Dracons, a mix of Raiders and Venoms, and sometimes add scourges.

As for the partisans I tend to use Talos swarms which will arrive via the Wraithgates, reavers gangs with Sybarites (allows for alternative characters to use the portable wraithgate), a wych cult and vessels of pain. Fast transports for the infantry mixed raiders and venoms. If I want a nice punch formation, I use Barges of Pleasure for the transport using their Barrage attack (BPs).

For the 1/3 (spacecraft and horrors) I like 2 formations of raven fighters, and the Tormentor titan. If I do not use the tormentor, I use 2 Slavebringer assault barges in the same manner os Thunderhawk gunships. If you have enough points for a second Talos formation, Slavebringer can carry 8 of them.

Dark Eldar should use a tactic of hit and run for their ranged attacks like vessels of pain,. They should move their forces up using cover, and then position themselves to use clipping assaults. Perhaps shoot up an enemy up with one formation, while throwing out the portable wraithgate, and then assault with the formaton coming out of the portal. I did this atleast 3 times during one game, ganging up on the enemy, and destroyed 4 of their formatoins, routing another which I battered with my aircraft till they were also destroyed. I lost a few formations to enemy artillery, and some to enemy aircraft and counter assaults, but all in all, my army worked well as an assault force.

The tormentor attracts a lot of enemy fire, but once in close combat, it is a death incarnate. I findthat all the shadowfileds on he war engines tend to go down very quickly. Thus you can not get them back up as you still need one left to bring one back up at the end of the turn. The vessel of pain is a good fast strike hover for taking out Baneblades, shadowswords (providing they are not on overwatch), even eldar Scorpions. Its only wekness is that all the other war engines that have ranged attacks like those I mentioned before have longer ranges. 45m is fairly short when compared with some armies weapons ranges, and 250 points eats up 1/12 of your 3000 point armies - points. Also the phantom land=ce only does a single TK hit where other armies super heavy weapons ten to do D3 or D6 TK hits per weapon.

You are disadvantaged, but use your hit and run tactics, and hug cover where possible (scourges are infantry (jump) with ranged attacks, so can jump into area terrain, and do not have to take terrain tests). found out how good they were in one game where the enemy could not dislodge me out of cover, and had to assault me to break the scourges. Reavers can march move (triple move) and still provide fire support in engagements. I noted that in the final version of the Dark Eldar list that Partisans have lost the +1 to activate for engage actions. There is also a limit of 8 infanty units in both Partisan and Kabal formations. Gone is my old list which had 10 units spread out over 3 barges of pleasure causine a 6BP disrupt attack. Now it is only 4BP.

Some tips for new players who want to start an army.

Yes they are challenging, very brittle, but can be especially brutal if you use them in the right way. Not in the top 1/4 of army lists , but I would probably say they do not rate below the top 1/3 either.

Profile Send private message