Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Tau Units

Post subject: New Tau Units
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Since we're getting close to finalizing the stats for the Tau heavy suits, I want to start compiling a non tournament list for Tau that will have all units included in it and do away with formation restrictions.

I envision this as a list fans of Tau can use to play epic, and it will be more free form allowing players to pick and choose what they want to bring, in what amount they feel is appropriate.

I would also like this to serve an additional purpose with an Approved stat lines section, and an Experimental section. The ES will have stat lines for units that may not appear in approved lists. This could allow for 1) great variety of units and 2) allow for earlier testing and approval of units so that if they're selected to appear in a new tournament list, the stats are already created. This could help speed up future list approvals and gives players access to new units as they're rolled out in 40k.

To that end, I'd like to see what additional units people would like to see. I'm thinking of including the following:

XV 9 hazard suit
Vespids
Tau Tidewall
Great Knarloc
Remora Drones
Scorpionfish

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Tau Units
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Which version of the Greater Knarloc? They had a goaded version, a crewed version with a giant crossbow and even a Baggage Knarlock weirdly.

Could add Heavy Gun Drones?
The Gun Turrets should definitely be included as there were FW models for them.
Maybe the Tiger Shark variant that transports 2 Remoras too?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is great news thank you, it will be good to have everything in one place just in time for me to start my Tau army

how about some Human Auxiliary's that have seen the light and joined the greater good...... after the have been suitably chemically castrated (without there knowledge) of course

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

@Glyn - I was thinking the crossbolt version since it seemed most likely to show up in a kroot raiding party. The rest seem pretty feasible as well.

@aktr - we could probably come up with a formation similar to a standard imperial guard formation for Gue'vesa, but offer them Pulse rifles. Anything else could probably just be pulled from imperial guard lists if people wanted to use them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How about sniper drones as a formation upgrade to fire warriors?

these are just ideas off the top of my head, I've not actually played a game of EA yet so no idea how it would work in reality

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can we look at fixing the broadsides? LV to INF. They are the exact same size as crisis suits and dreads. They should have lance also. It is the same weapon concept. Light projectile, extreme velocity, kinetic force doing the damage.

Can we fix drones from tiger sharks? Once dropped they do zip. They should get an activation after the drop.

Can we revisit the Manta? It is still way too over priced.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use broadsides regularly. Besides the fact they're cool little models, I find they are pretty resilient with 4+RA, even sometimes assaults bounce. And hitting AT on 2s with ML is nothing to sniff at. I use them either in an orca or garrisoned on overwatch depending on what the opponent has (although they do tend to attract attention used as forward garrison). I find they synergise well with the orca as they have the range to be able to land the poorly armoured orca without dying to flak, and once landed tend to assassinate something then soak up a few activations.

Obviously they were better when they were range 75 but they did get a price cut when that change was introduced. Can't say I've thought about lance, the hammerhead version looks a lot bigger and IIRC it was deliberate not to give it to the broadside version. I agree it's borderline they are LVs, and they would work nicely as upgrades with foot fire warriors if they were infantry, but they are abiut the same size as an attack bike, and with the extra weapons are bigger than crisis, as well as being modelled as one with some shield drones. Making them inf would be a big boost. That and giving them lance would make them really expensive and I cant see them being used if they cost much more than they do today. So that'd probably mean reducing their armour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Something that feels so counter intuitive about the XV88s is how in transports (Orcas/Manta) they are transported as regular INF taking up spots as such, and then the crisis units take up two each for some reason? It would have made more sense it being the other way around, and maybe the most sense XV8s and XV88s both taking up two slots each.

And I dearly hope this all can lead into more Tau tournament lists, cause they are such a cool race , and there’s so much more you can potentially do with them in the world of EpicA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, I don’t know how or who has us arrive at new stat lines for new units, but I was listening to vespid lore, and also checking out how Vespids play in 40k and had a go at it.

I figured the communication deficiencies could be represented by giving vespids a base
Initiative of 3+ and have it brought back to 2+ by the Stringleader.

Anyway , here’s what I toyed together

Vespid (initiative 3+)

Type: INF

Speed: 25cm

Armour: 4+

CC: 5+

FF: 5+

Weapons:
2xNeutron blasters (15cm) AP5+/AT6+ IC
Vespid Claws (Assultweapon)

Notes: Vespid Wings(Tau jet packs), scouts, teleport

Vespid Strainleader (included in formation)

Type: INF

Speed: 25cm

Armour: 4+

CC: 5+

FF: 5+

Weapons: 2xNeutron blasters
Vespid Claws

Notes: Vespid Wings(Tau jet packs) ,scouts, teleport , Strainleader ComHelmet (gives the formation initiative 2+) Leader

Stingwings 225p

1 xStrainleader
4xVespid Stingwings

As they have “Deepstrike” in 40k and can swoop in flying, I thought Teleport could fit, they also
Have “hit and run” so I figured giving their wings the “Tau jet packs” rule could be fitting. It is mentioned in lore they use Vespids for scouting so, I gave them scouts. They where talked of as, armor and toughness wise being slightly more durable than regular Tau INF so I put it 4+. I realize they will kinda compete with what XV15 stealth suits are about, and I also realize I probably don’t know what I’m doing xD but it was fun trying to transfer a unit from lore and 40k onto the Epic Scene.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cyguns wrote:
Something that feels so counter intuitive about the XV88s is how in transports (Orcas/Manta) they are transported as regular INF taking up spots as such, and then the crisis units take up two each for some reason? It would have made more sense it being the other way around, and maybe the most sense XV8s and XV88s both taking up two slots each.

I think the logic behind this is one large suit LV (broadside) does not take up as much room as multiple medium-sized INF suit (crisis). Even if you use 1 per base because of model rarity, crisis suits bases represent multiples.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Other units that could be cool are a few more drone upgrades ( or even formations of their own)
Since Tau use a lot of those.
Maybe
Marker drones. (Would carry less firepower but have markerlights)
Sniper drones. ( yeah...snipers )
Heavy Gun drones ( some more firepower)
Shield drone ( expendable and would allow one Armour save re-roll to its formation )

And possibly another attempt at stealth drones.

In future lists these could be 2 drone upgrades for various formations.

And a stand alone

Drone-Net VX1-0 Formation with 6 to 12 drones in some configuration of above drones.

Maybe

DX-6 Remora Stealth Drones with Tiger Shark AX-2-2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Would it be interesting to play around with Etherals? as they are a fairly central part of Tau.
I’m thinking there could be a few versions, perhaps list specific or put up as choices.

so for example

[Sept] Etheral : As long as the [Sept] Etheral is alive the formation may take a Doubble Move with no ”to hit” penalty , any formation taking part in a coordinated fire involving the [Sept] Etheral also gains this benefit until the coordinated fire is resolved.

I’m thinking you would only be allowed one of these Etherals in the Army.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It'd also be nice to see the Pulse Blast Cannon Stormsurge (the short ranged plasma shotgun version), rather than just the long ranged artillery one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Cyguns wrote:
Would it be interesting to play around with Etherals? as they are a fairly central part of Tau.
I’m thinking there could be a few versions, perhaps list specific or put up as choices.

so for example

[Sept] Etheral : As long as the [Sept] Etheral is alive the formation may take a Doubble Move with no ”to hit” penalty , any formation taking part in a coordinated fire involving the [Sept] Etheral also gains this benefit until the coordinated fire is resolved.

I’m thinking you would only be allowed one of these Etherals in the Army.

This may be getting too granular for the Epic scale, especially in a tournament list, but I'm open to the discussion on it.

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:25 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tastyfish wrote:
It'd also be nice to see the Pulse Blast Cannon Stormsurge (the short ranged plasma shotgun version), rather than just the long ranged artillery one.

This would be fun. This seems in line with the different Baneblade chassis or other war engines with weapon selections. I'll dig around for the 40k stat line.

Net EA Chair