Login |  Register |  FAQ

Moray

Post subject: Re: Moray
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have run the Moray in the Viorla list in four games recently and found them quite useful. I ran a pair each time.

The long range MW I found to be quite useful and found them to be quite good gun platforms that are tactically flexible. I have also foudn them to be quite a durable package as they are generally mid to back field and they dont stand out as high priority targets.

They are also quick enough to help grab objectives late game from the position where they normally play. I like them a lot and find they suit my style of play.

As for models I use a pair of the Tau Protector BFG models as Moray proxies

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank U for the input !! Well I will run them in pairs also ... Using the DRM models as I posted ... I'll probably use the following stats **** two with - 2x 90cm MW2+ TK D3 shots, and two with - 6x 60cm AP4+/AT3+. Now I've read a number of versions on Tau rules ... I think I'll use them as Skimmers, instead of Supportcraft ... **** Moray - 300 pts
20cm Skimmer
Save 5+
2 x Light Railcannon | 90cm | MW2+ TK D3| Macro Weapon, Fixed Forward Arc OR
Ion cannons | 60cm | 2 x AP4+/AT5+ | Fixed Forward Arc

DC 3, Reinforced Armour, Deflector shield (5+), Always Popped Up, Planetfall

Critical: The Morays weapon capacitors overload causing a massive
explosion. The Moray crashes to the ground and is destroyed. Image I use the older Tau organization ... I Think the Morays will go in the Attachment blocks and the Scropionfish as a Contingent ... And I'll probably dump Knarlocs ... don't need them. And I'll add other Aliens as Auxiliary. Like CinC Felids, Reds, Martahk, GZG, Krava'k, etc. ... It's a big Galaxy ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh ! Also ... What about Tau Aerial Mines ... I'm thinking about using them like the old WWII Barrage Balloons to protect your ground forces ? What do the AI rules say ? What Stats ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt where do you stand on this beastie? Is it in or out for the next version of the list?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Moray is already in the Vior'la list.

Moray - 300 pts
War Engine 25cm Armour 5+ FF 5+
2x Light Rail Cannon 75cm MW3+, Fixed Forward Arc
Ion Cannons 60cm 2x AP4+/AT5+, Fixed Forward Arc
2x Twin Burst Cannons
2x Seeker Missile
DC3, Tau Deflector Shield, Support Craft, Planetfall, Fearless, Reinforced Armour
Critical Hit Effect: Tau Deflector Shield is destroyed; further critical hits destroy the Moray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is it part of the air restriction? If not I'd take 2 :)

There were various comments in the thread saying GW tau direction isn't this. Out of interest, other than giving every army a gundam equivalent, what is GW's tau direction?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
The Moray is already in the Vior'la list.

Oh sorry, I know it's in now but discussion further back seemed as if it may possibly getting the boot. I may have mistaken the gist. So it's here to stay then?

Thanks Matt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The_Real_Chris wrote:
Is it part of the air restriction? If not I'd take 2 :)

There were various comments in the thread saying GW tau direction isn't this. Out of interest, other than giving every army a gundam equivalent, what is GW's tau direction?

It uses a support slot rather than Air.

Taking the most recent codex and the dataslates that have come since as an indiciation of GW's direction with Tau, it's very much towards masses of Strength 7 shooting (moderate anti-tank or any anything, and in large volumes) and Riptides (which use Monstrous Creatures rules) at the expense of actual vehicles. Most games I have seen have dropped to just 1 Devilfish on the table, 1 skyray and perhaps 1 hammerhead at most.

And then fill the points with Marine/Eldar allies, probably summoning daemons, which to me indicates that with the current state of the 40K rules it's probably better to just follow the broad strokes and not try to duplicate it too closely in Epic. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow and to think once with a mech combined arms force the tau were a force for vague sanity :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played Viorla for the first time on Sunday, battle report up now. It was a 5-0 defeat for my IG though I gambled a load on attempting to assault a half dead Manta on the first turn and the game could have gone the other way had I succeeded.

I don't have time for a detailed commentary and am not familiar with the development on the list but I just wanted to chip in that I'm not keen on the Moray. It seems annoying and unnecessary - I don't think the Tau list should have a better, flying Warhound equivalent in their list. A Warhound can be killed in CC by a decent attacker e.g. Terminators, Landa assault, ect but the Moray couldn't be plus it has integral AA to boot. The core Tau list lacks in the this sort of department true; but lists are characterised by what they don't have as well.

If they are in they definitely should count towards the air and titans 1/3, as currently not doing so allows a Tau player to field more tough, fearless, long-range support craft that most armies can deal with. I also think they should cost 325 rather than 300 too, but the 1/3 is the most important change.