Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hero class starship + Tau basing

Post subject: Hero class starship + Tau basing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm about half way through painting my Tau force and I've been reading the posts on this thread for tactics.

It would seem a good idea to take a Hero class star ship. Do you think anyone would take issue if I used the FW TAU PROTECTOR?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Battlefleet ... ECTOR.html

Its a hell of a lot cheaper and a nicer looking model.

Also I based my Crisis Suits 1 a base. You can see them pictured here:
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... 0960&st=20

The annoying thing was I cut them off the new style long base to do this! I then read the Third Phase list which states in the design note they should be 2-4 a base.

Does anyone care that much?

Also one last question about Tau recon. Does anyone take just Tetras? by adding the Piranhas do you not lose the scout ability?

Thanks

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152991

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hero class starship + Tau basing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

On the modeling side.

If it is a spaceship then I don't know anybody that would complain about the type that you use.

My Suits are all mounted 1 to a base. At some stage I would like to add some drones so that they can be classed as three models per base, but again all the players that I know are happy to see the models on the table.

On the play side, you only lose the scout garrison if you have more Piranhas than Tetras. Otherwise Tetras always benefit from the Scout special abilities.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think Steve54 uses the protector as his hero spaceship, I know I certainly wouldn't have any objections, heck there have been guys using spaceships without actual models at UK tournaments before, so I doubt it's an issue

I'd prefer the crisis suits be 2-4 per base as they are infantry, plus they're easily confused with crisis suits that way.... however the relative difficulty in obtaining sufficient numbers of them might offset this

you don't lose the scout ability, to be able to garrison, at least 50% of the formation need the scout special rule, just make sure you keep the pirhana within coherency of the tetras....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:08 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I use a Protector for a Hero and its fine (also as a stand-in Manta)

Crisis suits - I've base mine 2+ a drone per stand but given the rarity of the models I don't think anybody would, or should, have a problem with 1 per base.

Recon - I generally take 2 recon formations
1 5 tetras+1 Piranha - for scout screen duties+ to rush forward and ML formations. Single piranha is for an AT shot
2 5 piranhas+1 tetra - to be cheap guided missile shooting unit. Sustain at a ML formation and you are hitting tanks on 4+
3 4 tetras+2 piranhas - bit of both formation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think a model for space craft is really necessary to be honest. It's just a nice way for GW to get you to buy more product. I mean they get used for 30 seconds in a game - a huge waste of cash and basically a rather expensive game marker. I'd use anything you have to represent it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks a lot for all the helpful replies! I may magnetize the Crisis bases so they can be used together or apart depending on opponent/points of the game. Makes them a bit more vulnerable to blasts but nevermind.

Yeah I was thinking the same Dobbsy I don't use a ship with both my Ork or Marine armys as I don't use them in BFG.

Another couple of questions if you don't mind?

Tau Manta and Kroot I very rarely see in lists. I can understand the Manta points cost against activations but Kroot transported in a Manta or Orca could be a good Assault choice? Anyone had experience with either/both/combined?

PS thanks Steve54 that was the tactics I was talking about and your post here confirms this tactic for me.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152991

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

while kroot are good assault troops as far as tau are concerned, they're still pretty weak, no armour, no inspiring characters, no fearless... CC4+ is decent but not earth-shatteringly good.... plus you're using assault units in a non-assault oriented list, and as tau have reduced FF values, your options for support fire are limited

plus the orca is limited by not having RA, it can't hope to fly through much flak and is easily shot down by interceptors if it leaves the skyray bubble, I think they work best moving crisis suits around to hit stuff which is threatening your half of the table, that way it can fly around inside a nice flak bubble to protect it from interceptors

those are just my impressions of course, maybe try it out and see how successful it is?

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
I don't think a model for space craft is really necessary to be honest. It's just a nice way for GW to get you to buy more product. I mean they get used for 30 seconds in a game - a huge waste of cash and basically a rather expensive game marker. I'd use anything you have to represent it.

I prefer to view it as a great opportunity to get started with another awesome SG but hey, I'm a glass full sort of guy ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!