Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next

Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.9

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.8a
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

yme-loc wrote:
atension wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:
Oh wow when did that happen? Yeah that was the mantas entire schtick. It shouldn't be here if the 3rd phase list has dropped it too (consistency and all that) unless this one gets a name tweak.

It appears to have disappeared between version 4 and version 5. About 7 years ago.... hoping Matt and or Yme can weigh in. I'd like to play test this list but hoping they can verify if it is supposed to be included or not.

The Manta follows the normal planetfall rules, so if you want it to use planetfall you will also need to purchase a spaceship.

OK, I thought that would be the case but I wanted to be sure.

A few other errors/omissions:
1. Data sheet for some reason is missing the seeker missiles on the Piranha.
2. XV104 labeled "XV014" in the line mentioning the Strategy rating and initiative rolls
3. This may not be a mistake but is the KX139 supposed be included for initiative +1 with the other battle suit WE's or was it purposely left as a +2?
4. (As mentioned previously) the Firewarrior Cadre doesn't have a Shas'el listed but does include the Shas'O upgrade which requires a Shas'el to already be in the group.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Probably because in the third phase list the structure of the crisis formation was changed, from being
a) add a shas'el (25) or add a shas'o (100? 75?)
To
b) free shas'el (but no longer gets extra weapon) which can be upgraded to shas'o

So if the upgrade text change was carried forward to viorla it would stop making sense as a fire warrior upgrade.

When upgrading fire warriors I would still price it the same as it was before as it adds the full range of abilities when added to a fire warrior stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The main issue with lack of information and consistency in the list on the front page seems to have occurred when Matt-Shadowlord has updated the list. There are reasonably substantial parts that "went missing".

The Shas'o upgrade on a fire warrior unit was costed at 100 points when that line on the document last appeared. Second lines seem to have slipped out of the text box on several occasions. All the details on many of the spacecraft, warengines disappeared at one stage.

Matt-Shadowlord does not currently seem able to actively push this development forward. Which is sad since lots of the list seems quite fun. My Colonial Tau Forces have recently received a major supply of Riptide Suits. MUCH more resilient than the previous Crisis Suits teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:41 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ehh, I wouldn't go that far. We all make mistakes that's not a problem. I would very much like to contribute to this list also (in the form of play testing). Yme-loc, any word from Matt lately? It's true he hasn't posted in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

August? nearly 6 months. would love to get some confirmations on stuff before i go to cancon. its only a couple of weeks away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Norto wrote:
August? nearly 6 months. would love to get some confirmations on stuff before i go to cancon. its only a couple of weeks away.

I have pm'd him, there isn't much else I can do though. The list is very much Matt's and further development and updates are up to him.

I would suggest though that a Shas'O added to a Firewarrior cadre costs 100pts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's what I did in the ArmyForge files for now anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yme-loc wrote:
Norto wrote:

I have pm'd him, there isn't much else I can do though. The list is very much Matt's and further development and updates are up to him.

I would suggest though that a Shas'O added to a Firewarrior cadre costs 100pts.

Well I see him popping up on the SW Armada boards frequently (hell just a couple of hours ago) so we know he's alive. Probably just taking a break from epc ATM to focus on other things right now.

As Tau AC you're free to do about anything you want with this list but yeah I get your point. No need to upset the apple cart and all that :) Might be good to perhaps enter some of this errata on the OP by the download link through, no?

I hope to see him around soon again as this is a groovy list

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:42 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

yeah its a sick list. i just dont wana seam him leave it unfinshed. would be a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:25 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Something else I noticed that should be clarified. Transport rules for the Orca don't mention Broadsides like the approved list does. I assume it should be the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:26 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

So im taking Viorla to Cancon next week. I put a little bit of time into the list with some help. This is what I came up with. Will let you know with some reports on game how it goes.

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [350]
6 Fire Warrior Units, 3 Devilfishes, Cadre Fireblade, Skyray

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [225]
6 Fire Warrior Units, 3 Devilfishes

XV104 RIPTIDE FORMATION [525] BTS
4 XV104 Riptides, Shas'o Commander

XV104 RIPTIDE FORMATION [350]
3 XV104 Riptides, Shas'el Commander

KX 139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY [225]
1 KX 139 Ta'unar Supremacy

BARRACUDA SQUADRON [150]
2 Barracuda Fighters

BARRACUDA SQUADRON [150]
2 Barracuda Fighters

TIGER SHARK AX-1-0 [175]
1 Tiger Shark AX-1-0

SUN SHARK SQUADRON [200]
2 Sun Shark Bombers

SPACECRAFT [200]
1 Protector Class Cruiser
Weapons 2 pin point attacks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looks interesting, lot of air support low ground count and no marker lights. Have to be very careful as your supremacy will be very vulnerable to teleports, hope you don't face Necrons. A very powerful but frail list. Also pinpoint attacks can drop your SC quite easily. Looking forward to hearing how it performs. Take lots of pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

so I was having a read through of Beefcake4000's Cancon blog and decided to have a look at the Vior'la list

it does seem from a glance through that the list is basically Standard Tau + LOADS of toys and minus a few units that nobody uses like kroot and battleships... I mean if this is the theme of the list then fine, and I know there is always a desire to include the new GW toys (and the Tau stuff is just about the only half-decent stuff GW are releasing these days) but it seems that there has been little compromise, and the list hasn't had much of note removed to 'make room' for the new units

the KV139 unit really stuck out to me, 225 points for a DC3 war engine, with a 3BP Indirect, Ignore cover barrage, a 3+ armour save and 5+ invulnerable seems like a steal when you're paying 250 points for basilisks in the steel legion list

does the list really need two flavours of fighters? or bombers?

obviously the list has seen a lot of development and testing and is well liked, I'm keen to test it out myself, but it does seem a little bloated with few drawbacks compared to the 3rd phase list

I could be (and probably am) wrong of course, feel free to correct me...

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:

it does seem from a glance through that the list is basically Standard Tau + LOADS of toys and minus a few units that nobody uses like kroot and battleships... I mean if this is the theme of the list then fine, and I know there is always a desire to include the new GW toys (and the Tau stuff is just about the only half-decent stuff GW are releasing these days) but it seems that there has been little compromise, and the list hasn't had much of note removed to 'make room' for the new units

the KV139 unit really stuck out to me, 225 points for a DC3 war engine, with a 3BP Indirect, Ignore cover barrage, a 3+ armour save and 5+ invulnerable seems like a steal when you're paying 250 points for basilisks in the steel legion list

I feel that the same could be said of many of the lists that incorporate the 'new gear' that GW churns out. I don't mind the idea of using updated lists per-se but I feel that there maybe needs a bit more restraint to stop the new lists being "old list ++". Give it a different focus or something but at least make it so that people looking at the new list don't just think "well, I can do everything I do now, but with all this goodness on top" or the common "why in the name of all that's Holy would I use the old list now??" (e.g NetEA DKoK compared to NetEA Steel Legion)

Perhaps it's just us because we use the EpicUK lists in friendly games too so maybe we're just a bit more more conservative in our views on the lists and I'm not trying to stomp on anyone's fun but we usually wince at all the options the newer NetEA lists seem to have. I'd love to see Dave's face if I came to a game with NetEA DKoK and not EpicUK :o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah; it's a feature of the way lists become approved here; once a list champ has gone through all the work to get a list approved, they tend to be understandably proud of their work, and can get a bit, shall we say, defensive, if someone should come up and suggest their lists should be changed in a way that would, according to the rules, invalidate the approved status.

I've definitely been there, and can kind of understand them.

Also, some of the lists, the main Tau list in particular, was created with a very specific play style in mind, and incorporating new units into this is possibly a more disruptive process than with other, less focused lists.

I see no reason why lists should not strive to become more of a swizz army knife, less of a one trick pony, and to fit the current 40k lists more. List admins here seem to disagree.

Regarding the KV139, it's a very similar profile to the Chaos Decimator, at the exact same cost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next