Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Tau book

Post subject: Re: New Tau book
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Eldar Scorpion can Pop-up move 25cm and shoot 60cm and pop-down all in the same turn. Doesn't seem to be overpowered.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Coordinate DC so it's the same as Imperial Knights. Knights, the Riptide and the new 'Roidknight all seem to be about the same size.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's a nice size comparison - Lord of Battle and the Wraithknight are around the same size as scout titans.
http://www.thediceabide.com/stuff/lordofsize.jpg

Half the size of a Revanant, but a little bulkier and substantially bigger than a Dreadnought or Carnifex (the classic 'Monstrous Creature') - it's almost a perfect candidate for 1.5 DC!

I'd lean more towards 2DC as I'd have thought most of the stand ins are probably going to be 10mm scale mechs or something converted from a Firewarrior.

It's also the same size as the Trygon, which is also a DC2 monster.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A Warhound (DC3) sits at around 14-20m, depending on source. A Baneblade (DC3) chassis is about 13-14m long. Eldar Superheavy tanks (DC3) sit at around 18m long, but are less heavily built than Baneblades.

What few sources I could find on the size of the Knights (DC1/DC2 depending on the config) is that they clock in around 9m tall.

Trygons (DC2) are around 7m tall. Tyrannofex/Tervigons (also DC2) are similarly sized.

Orcas (DC2) are 21m long, but as a transport, a fair chunk of them are cargo space, and as aircraft they're probably less durable than a battlesuit.

The Riptide, by scale, is between 8 and 9 meters (XV8s are recorded at 3m in sources, and the riptide is about a a bit more than twice as tall, probably closer to 3 times if the pose is straightened).

On a personal visceral level, I've got one sitting on a desk at home, and it's pretty big. Not Roidknight height, but probably equally weighty, being much bulkier across the majority of the model. It feels hefty in hand, and is imposingly larger than even fairly large standard tanks like a Leman Russ.

I can see the argument for either being DC1 or DC2 War Engines; they're just a touch smaller than Knights, which can be either DC1 or DC2 and a bit bigger than the DC2 Tyranid large non-titan creatures, but possibly less solidly built. I'll reiterate my opinion that if left as an AV, at the very least they need Reinforced Armor, and possibly to increase to 3+ save as well. They ought to be damn hard to kill, a single volley from any weapon below Titan class should not destroy them.

On other points: If Scorpions aren't a problem with 25cm move/60cm shooting and Eldar's Hit and Run capability, I'm willing to accept that a longer range on the Ion Accelerator would be okay.

As far as there being multiple AA options per list, many lists have a few additional units with "incidental" AA ratings. Not as good as their main interceptor/fighters and/or dedicated AA platforms, but some. Many have some sort of bomber (Marauders/Phoenix/Bommas) and/or WE/drop shop (Vampire/Slavebringer/Thunderhawks/Landas) with AA that's not as good as the fighter, but better than nothing. There's also some lists with additional options. some of the IG lists have a choice between Hydras and Sabres on the ground plus their fighters/bombers. Eldar have incidental EMLs on some of the Super Heavies and all their Titans beyond their Firestorm and aircraft. So the concept of having more than just two formations with AA capability but not a primary AA focus is not without precedence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
According to the picture the Rptide should be DC2. also from its stats it justifies DC2 no more and no less.

Tyranofex: T6 W6 2+Save
Trygon: T6 W6 3+Save

In Epic both have DC2. Tyranofex has 4+ Reinforced Armour and Trygon 5+ Reinforced Armour.

Riptide: T6 W5 2+Save Riptide Shield Generator (5+ Invulnerable Save) and Nova Reactor (optional 3+ Invulnerable Save)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I stand corrected - that all makes more sense now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No one else in favour of a First Strike EWO Ion-equipped Riptide - contrasted against the AA Heavy Burst Cannon Riptide then?

Has to be one of the most game changing units after the Helldrake in the current 40K meta IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tastyfish wrote:
No one else in favour of a First Strike EWO Ion-equipped Riptide - contrasted against the AA Heavy Burst Cannon Riptide then?

Has to be one of the most game changing units after the Helldrake in the current 40K meta IMO.

I think part of my problem is that I don't really associate First Strike with 40k's Interceptor rule. I associate it with excessively high Initiative and/or surprising modes of attack/maneuver (ie, things that cause unexpected attacks on the opponent, like Warp Spider's suddenly jumping from in front to behind you). It's also an Assault only rule, which means it doesn't trigger if a unit comes near but does not actually engage an assault. A terminator unit can teleport on, use their shooting attacks and then supporting fire into an assault against the Riptides and First Strike would never be relevant at all, while EWO/Interceptor very much would be in that case.

If I were to try and model what EWO/Interceptor does in 40k in the Epic rules, I'd probably try letting an unactivated Riptide formation make an initiative test to become "on Overwatch" out of order, in response to an opponent's activation within some radius of them. In practice, I suspect that would be horribly hard to balance, as it pretty massively violates a lot of the core Epic principles around formation activations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Onyx wrote:
I'm not sure that another AA option is needed for the Tau.
If marines want AA, they take a Hunter or Tbolts.
If orks want AA, they take a Flakwagon or Fightaboma.
If guard need AA, hey take a Hydra or Tbolts.
If tau need AA, they already have Skyrays and Barracudas. They don't need another option. Game balance has to trump fluff at some point.

Correct, the Tau have AA on the Skyrays and the Barracudas. And the Manta, and the Orca, and the Tiger Shark, and the Tiger Shark AX-10. And in a list that adds the new units available in 40K, the Razorshark and the Sun Shark bomber.

Which is to say it doesn't seem to be a glaring need; even a Crisis Suit list designed with no armoured vehicles on the table can still have fighter/bomber support.

The Stat sheets I have been working on for the Vior'la Tau include the new units in 40K, and will be available in the next 30 minutes in the thread below.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24822
Feel free to have a look and comment, contribute and of course criticise. ;D

Some battle reports with this list will be going up soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DaR wrote:
Tastyfish wrote:

I think part of my problem is that I don't really associate First Strike with 40k's Interceptor rule. I associate it with excessively high Initiative and/or surprising modes of attack/maneuver (ie, things that cause unexpected attacks on the opponent, like Warp Spider's suddenly jumping from in front to behind you). It's also an Assault only rule, which means it doesn't trigger if a unit comes near but does not actually engage an assault. A terminator unit can teleport on, use their shooting attacks and then supporting fire into an assault against the Riptides and First Strike would never be relevant at all, while EWO/Interceptor very much would be in that case.

If I were to try and model what EWO/Interceptor does in 40k in the Epic rules, I'd probably try letting an unactivated Riptide formation make an initiative test to become "on Overwatch" out of order, in response to an opponent's activation within some radius of them. In practice, I suspect that would be horribly hard to balance, as it pretty massively violates a lot of the core Epic principles around formation activations.

I see it as more as there being two different sorts of fighting - if the terminators are teleporting a little distance away and shooting, then that's what overwatch is for. At that range it's more controlled firing, backed up with the various 'off camera' support elements - recon data from orbital ships and satellites alongside more conventional methods like spotters and getting a good vantage point based off your maps, so that you can make the most of your firing opportunity.

However in a fire fight, everything's happening too quickly to rely on outside assistance and the units are acting independantly. This is what the Early Warning Override is for, keeping the Riptide's support AI's abreast of what's happening elsewhere so that it never gets surprised. By the time you get into close proximity, it's has been waiting for you and is just as ready to fire as if you were a few km away.

Plus if the terminators are teleporting and then lending supporting fire in an assault (by another unit), the Riptide will be using it's EWO and the terminators may end up with some blast markers on them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New toy from FW:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Games_ ... w_One.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Riptide variant or even bigger than a riptide? (Scout titan sized?)

Makes sense that the Tau builds their own titan, they got plenty of walkers now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a modified Riptide.

Quote:
A development of the Riptide, the R’Varna sacrifices mobility for heavier armour and increased firepower in the form of two pulse submunition cannon.