Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tau Moray

Post subject: Tau Moray
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone fielded these things yet? What kinda models did you use? I kinda picture them as being smaller Mantas, based on their weapon loadout. Any suggestions for the kinds of things one might use to represent them?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:52 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Personally, I use BFG FW Protector vessels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ya, that one does look pretty good. I was thinking about the Custodian but I suspect it may be too large to really work well in that role.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:42 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I really like the Custodian, too. I wanted to use it for something, but it is just too big. So, when I get one, I will use it as a... Custodian.  :D

I am also the only player in the world not to use the Orca as a Scorpionfish. I use the Emissary. Much cheaper, and they look like a stylised, larger Hammerhead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I might use the Custodian as a stand-in for the manta, myself. But otherwise I'd probably buy one just cus they look neat!

The Emissary looks pretty cool as well. Very suitably fish-like! I dunno if I'd use it as a Scorpionfish, though. The Castellans look neat for it, but appear to be too small to really fit the size-scale of Epic. I'm personally not a fan of the way the Orca looks at all (The things are flying bricks, not remotely aerodynamic, and seem really incredibly inefficiently designed compared to most of the Tau's stream-lined smooth objects, to be honest. They look more like an Imperial landing-craft with the sharp corners sanded down!  :laugh: )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By contrast, I quite like the Orca.  In keeping with Tau design, its form follows its function.  If you look at the Forgeworld Orca pictures you'll see that it's an ellegant piece of packaging to fit 12 Firewarriors, six Crisis suits, eight drones, crew, weapons systems, flight systems and propulsion into such a compact vehicle that is capable of transiting from dirtside into orbit.  Adding styling to this vehicle would serve little purpose outside adding weight.

Orde

Tau Army List Archive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:52 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I really like the Orca design. As a drop ship, I think that it is a brilliant design. I just dont see the link between the Orca drop design and the Scorpionfish missile command SHT.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not saying the Orca is badly designed. Just that I don't think it really fits that well with the other Tau ships. Even their starships are very flat and aerodynamic. The manta looks (asside from being WAY too big) like something which might actually fly. Or swim as the case may be. But the Orcas look like bricks with engines on them. Just seems to clash with the Tau's aerodynamic look over all. A bit like the old-school Falcons did with the Eldar. The ship's designed very nicely from a functionality standpoint. It just always stands out to me as being very different looking then the rest of the Tau arsenal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Check out my batrep vs BL, Ilushia (It's the beige thing in the photos). I used a Custodian for a Moray. It's pretty good and size is about right by all accounts. At some stage I intend to get another to convert into a Moray proper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That actually does look about right. helps that I really love the way it looks. Compared to the Orca especially it looks about the right size with the Orca being 2 DC and it being 3 DC. Anyone got a comparison shot with a Manta (Does anyone even -own- a Manta around here? >.>)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Ilushia @ Dec. 03 2007,20:57)
Even their starships are very flat and aerodynamic.

Yeah, since the Explorer, Merchant, Orca (the other Orca), Defender and Hero are such elegant designs...

...well, I like the Hero's design, personally, but she ain't as pretty as a Protector, or the beautiful Custodian!

The Orca dropship is fine enough a design for me, to be honest.

And the Custodian, to me, is way too big to be a Moray, so I'd definitely recommend the Protector.

Not least because I'd use the Custodian as an actual Custodian, if I had cause to!

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers

v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Orca I thought was designed for the paystation? No doubt if it had been the PS3 it would look a lot better?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:16 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I'm not saying the Orca is badly designed. Just that I don't think it really fits that well with the other Tau ships. Even their starships are very flat and aerodynamic.

Actually, the reason that I like it is because I think that it looks exactly how it should, and fits the range. The Tau design is function over form. Craft designed for high speed flight are built for it. None of that messing around with unnecessary asthetics like the Eldar! It looks like brick because, essentially, that is how it should fly. It is not supposed to be a fast insertion craft, more of a drop down out of the sky vessel.

Check out my batrep vs BL, Ilushia (It's the beige thing in the photos). I used a Custodian for a Moray. It's pretty good and size is about right by all accounts. At some stage I intend to get another to convert into a Moray proper.

Dammit! I had convinced myself that I didnt need to buy one of those... but now I see that it does fit well. (How did I not notice that before?) I guess that I will go back to my original plan - Protectors for Morays, Emissary for Scorpionfish, Custodian for Scorpionfish with Supreme Commander.

Does anyone even -own- a Manta around here?

Oh yes. In fact, I am hoping to get my second for/after Christmas. But, I dont have a Custodian yet.

The Orca I thought was designed for the paystation? No doubt if it had been the PS3 it would look a lot better?

It was indeed. For Fire Warrior. As was the Emissary and many of the other FW BFG designs. I think that they were a work in progress (for the game) when the SG Tau fleet came out, hence the difference. I have this for the PS2. The opening scenes are on You Tube somewhere, and are really cool. The game itself... is not.  :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:52 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The Orca is one of my favourite Tau vehicles in terms of how it looks :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

D'oh moment - is there a GW pic of the Moray (art or model) somewhere?