Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Tau Vior'la v2.0

Post subject: Re: Tau Vior'la v2.0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

XcaliburNick wrote:
as a player I prefer to be able to re-use models as much as possible and get used to more standard values between lists.

I get you, especially with how tough it can be to find good models for Tau aircraft these days. I've only actually seen sunsharks at my FLGS, so that's probably why they're the only aircraft I take in my lists lol

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also counts-as is a thing when you don't have need to distinguish a flyer in a game. For instance lots of people take their TBolts they've painted from a Codex Marines force and when they happen to be playing the same collection as Imperial Fists they're just use the same model as Stormhawks.

No need for another model (though is aesthetically pleasing)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If I had a dollar for every time I proxied my Team Yankee minis as crisis suits I'd have enough to actually buy some Tau models haha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got in 3 games with Vior’la 2.4 at an event on the weekend!

My list:
6 fire warriors +3 devilfish+ Skyray +Supreme Commander
8 Fire Warrrios +4 devilfish +Skyray
4 Pathfinders +2 devilfish
4 Stealth Suits +2 Ghostkeel
6 Crisis Suits
2 Riptide +2 R’varna
1 Tau’nar (railgun)
1 Tau’nar (railgun)
3 Razorshark

Overall impressions: The fighters seemed useless. In a test game I went from 2x3 to 1x3, and now I would rather have anything else. They put a few blast markers and aren’t even worth attempting in AA role IMO. I’m pretty new/maybe misplayed. Other than that things seemed balanced.

Game 1 = vs Chaos (Tzeentch/Khorne) with Terminators, some tanks and bikes, warhound and 2 super heavy tanks. This player is quite good and competitive, turn 1 was back and forth, I misplayed the pathfinders further forward in a garrison and ended up with my Coordinated fire units out of position, but punched back and killed off some guys with my suits. Turn 2 I learned that bunching up to take advantage of a ruin means he can teleport terminators, summon in demons and erase 1/2 my army in close combat. My aircraft tried to attack his, did nothing, then got destroyed by other aircraft. On the plus side the Tau’nar threat kept his valuable stuff hidden I guess, made him hold them back. Major loss to me.

Game 2 = vs Imperial Guard with Manticores, big Leman Russ brick, sentinels, big mobile infantry unit. Both of us are reasonably new players. Turn 1 I got pretty much 1/2 of my army in points broken or suppressed to hell, lost most of one fire warrior unit to a charge. Then I punched back and erased a flank, pushed him back, and we traded back and forth in a tight game. Aircraft did zip and zilch on both sides. Crisis Suits, Heavy Suits and Fire Warriors combined to efficiently demolish parts of his army with coordinated fire. Tau-nar were good, nearly destroyed the Reiver titan. Ended up minor victory for me after a tiebreaker points comparison.

Game 3 = New player, using an Iyanden wraith heavy Eldar force. This game went down to tiebreakers as well, minor loss for me in points comparison. We counter punched all over the place, I snipered his Farseer, killed off stuff to prevent the Avatar from coming in, he made the Tau’nar a lot less useful by fire and fade, but they took stuff out. Heavy Suits hunted down the Dark Reapers. Minor loss for me with another tiebreaker points comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, sounds like a fun event! Must have been a long day. Those are some tough armies to go up against as Tau- you have my respect for not getting rolled by the Impies. Those tank units can lay down some serious fire that I always have trouble with when my buddy plays his Minerva legion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:46 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

XcaliburNick wrote:
Got in 3 games with Vior’la 2.4 at an event on the weekend!

My list:
6 fire warriors +3 devilfish+ Skyray +Supreme Commander
8 Fire Warrrios +4 devilfish +Skyray
4 Pathfinders +2 devilfish
6 Crisis Suits
2 Riptide +2 R’varna
1 Tau’nar (railgun)
1 Tau’nar (railgun)
3 Razorshark

Overall impressions: The fighters seemed useless. In a test game I went from 2x3 to 1x3, and now I would rather have anything else. They put a few blast markers and aren’t even worth attempting in AA role IMO. I’m pretty new/maybe misplayed. Other than that things seemed balanced.

Game 1 = vs Chaos (Tzeentch/Khorne) with Terminators, some tanks and bikes, warhound and 2 super heavy tanks. This player is quite good and competitive, turn 1 was back and forth, I misplayed the pathfinders further forward in a garrison and ended up with my Coordinated fire units out of position, but punched back and killed off some guys with my suits. Turn 2 I learned that bunching up to take advantage of a ruin means he can teleport terminators, summon in demons and erase 1/2 my army in close combat. My aircraft tried to attack his, did nothing, then got destroyed by other aircraft. On the plus side the Tau’nar threat kept his valuable stuff hidden I guess, made him hold them back. Major loss to me.

Game 2 = vs Imperial Guard with Manticores, big Leman Russ brick, sentinels, big mobile infantry unit. Both of us are reasonably new players. Turn 1 I got pretty much 1/2 of my army in points broken or suppressed to hell, lost most of one fire warrior unit to a charge. Then I punched back and erased a flank, pushed him back, and we traded back and forth in a tight game. Aircraft did zip and zilch on both sides. Crisis Suits, Heavy Suits and Fire Warriors combined to efficiently demolish parts of his army with coordinated fire. Tau-nar were good, nearly destroyed the Reiver titan. Ended up minor victory for me after a tiebreaker points comparison.

Game 3 = New player, using an Iyanden wraith heavy Eldar force. This game went down to tiebreakers as well, minor loss for me in points comparison. We counter punched all over the place, I snipered his Farseer, killed off stuff to prevent the Avatar from coming in, he made the Tau’nar a lot less useful by fire and fade, but they took stuff out. Heavy Suits hunted down the Dark Reapers. Minor loss for me with another tiebreaker points comparison.

Thanks for jumping in with the list and bringing it out to a tournament! I appreciate the feedback. The Razorsharks are definitely a little bit of a tricky unit. With 2 types of AA shots, they really excel at intercepting enemy fights. However, they're a glass cannon with paper thin armor. If they take ground or AA fire on their way, they can get messed up. I've had them run ground attack duty in the past, but I never feel I can really count on it to do more than place a BM for the enemy formation coming under fire.

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How many games is this list into approval atm?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Cyguns wrote:
How many games is this list into approval atm?

Hi Cyguns! The list is just about ready for approval. The v.2.5 will be up tonight and that's the list I'd ultimately like to present for approval. There's not many major changes, mostly tweaks to streamline the list. I've got enough written up reports of games, but I'd like to get three more on my end to have a couple polished batreps of the finalized version when it goes up for final formal approval.

It looks like overall, the list has been well received over the past several years and a lot of the concerns have been addressed.

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds great, Gunslinger.

A friend of mine would like to take Vior'la Tau to a tournament here in Western Australia in a few weeks, so if 2.5 is available I'll see if I can get a brief report of each of the games from him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:27 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:

A friend of mine would like to take Vior'la Tau to a tournament here in Western Australia in a few weeks, so if 2.5 is available I'll see if I can get a brief report of each of the games from him.

Great, thanks Matt! v2.5 should be posted now.

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just spent two hours typing up some reports to add to this forum only to have the entire post deleted because it logged me out and it didn't autosave my typing upon return after relogging in. Not happy. :gah :gah :nooo :nooo In summary, played three games using this list.
Attachment:
F0278666-E2B6-49B2-8AFA-7A40344D167E.jpeg
F0278666-E2B6-49B2-8AFA-7A40344D167E.jpeg [ 408.38 KiB | Viewed 61157 times ]

Played against chaos cultists. Won
Played against new minervans , lost Turn four on points
Played against steel legion lost turn three 2/1 but if it had gone to turn 4 would probably have won easily

Suggestions, change ghostkeel either to Shas el and allow one per detachment or make fearless and make 50 points, they never seem to do anything the whole game and need some kind of extra ability.

Give the supremacy suit optional upgrades such as drones or arm weapons as it can be a glass cannon and sometimes it doesn't really do anything except sit on back line like an artillery piece. But it's a giant walking battlesuit so it should have an option to do a bit more.

As I said two hours of typing wasted otherwise you would have a fair bit more info about games played over the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for posting the 2.5 rules, great timing as it looks like I’ll be able to get another tournament in coming up early June!

I do have two questions and a suggestion:
- There’s a blank page on the 2.5.1 rules, is there meant to be something there?
- I see one of the changes in the rules update is removing the stats from the command teams, and adding “experimental weapons” but I don’t see any rules for this (and it’s not a base Tau rule AFAIK)
Suggestion = Duplicate the Tau Special Rules from the 3rd Sphere into the blank page along with Experimental Weapons, as I forgot to print the 3rd sphere in the event and it caused a bit of confusion from opponents (“why are you using the rules from the other list?”)

gunslinger007 wrote:
Matt-Shadowlord wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I’m an idiot, sorry. Got confused about the “experimental weapons” change from commander’s rifle when I was comparing the changes to see what got modified, and forgot these are just names not special rules.

I do still suggest that the blank page get turned into a copy of the generic special rules text that applies from the Third Sphere rules, but I’ll print and combine before my next event to avoid any confusion for myself and my opponent for now :)

XcaliburNick wrote:
Thanks for posting the 2.5 rules, great timing as it looks like I’ll be able to get another tournament in coming up early June!

I do have two questions and a suggestion:
- There’s a blank page on the 2.5.1 rules, is there meant to be something there?
- I see one of the changes in the rules update is removing the stats from the command teams, and adding “experimental weapons” but I don’t see any rules for this (and it’s not a base Tau rule AFAIK)
Suggestion = Duplicate the Tau Special Rules from the 3rd Sphere into the blank page along with Experimental Weapons, as I forgot to print the 3rd sphere in the event and it caused a bit of confusion from opponents (“why are you using the rules from the other list?”)

gunslinger007 wrote:
Matt-Shadowlord wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I’m having a hard time making this list work, how are people managing to get some punch out of it?
It’s a struggle to get activations , and what you get is to a degree pretty punchy, but fragile formations and low on AA, in short it has weakness, but I’ve been struggling to find its strength?
I love Tau and just want it to work XD

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all, I’m considering taking this to a local tournament next month and will get 3 matches in there plus some practice ahead of time. Is there anything particular I need to do to submit those games for review to get the list approved? Seems like it’s been around a long time and is a bit of a staple at least locally but is not official yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next