Login |  Register |  FAQ

Drones in v4.2

Post subject: Drones in v4.2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There has been a small amount of debate already about the proposed Drone changes for 4.2:

Quote (Steele @ 08 2005 July,23:03)
I read your planned changes about the Drones,and I am not pleased. I understand that you want to show that Tau aren?t good in assaults, but when you drop the Rule for half casualties , how do you want to put in the effect of them "throwing in front of the enemy"? Dropping the Rule at all doesn?t seem right. What if you change it to : As long as any Drone Unit remain in a Formation and in 5cm of a given Casualty , you may remove a Drone Unit instead. With that wording you combine the Fluff and your planned change as well. They would protect their "Masters" and also would count as 1 Casualty in Assault. The current rule worked for me very well, despite my opponents mauling something like "dammned Drones" and the like. Often they where a last ditch between beeing broken or not. And I used them quite often this way. They are already restricted in the amount of taking them, and regarding Pricing at Forgeworld they would now become even more unatractive. Please tell me if Im totally wrong on this, but if I read it correctly you "just" wanted to drop it for Assaulsts, didn?t you?

Quote (baronpiero @ 30 2005 June, 17:28)
Removing the drone rule in assaults seems quite harsh a downgrade as the following will happen:

Example 1: a battelsuit cadre consisting of 4 crisis and 4 drones takes 8 hits.
>Number of casualties inflicted on average = 4*1/3 + 4*2/3 = 3.99

Example 2. the same battelsuit cadre consisting of 4 crisis but no drones takes those same 8 hits

>Number of casualties inflicted on average = 8*1/3 = 2.66

Less casualties if no drone meatshield, so more chances to win the assault without drones. Drones weaken the battlesuit cadre they join in an assault.

To address those:
First, the REASON for the change is the design axiom that Tau shouldn't have a special rule that benefits them in an assault situation. Run from assault, okay, but nothing useful for assaults themselves.

Next, Tau are supposed to lose in assaults, and should get punished if caught by the enemy. Some formations will lose in assaults even more decisively with this change, but as you can't have more than four drones as an upgrade anyway, the net change isn't as bad (an extra 1 casualty for resolution in most cases, with an extra 2 casualties for resolution at max - if you lose 3 or 4 drones in the assault).

So it's not THAT bad.

Thirdly, having drones is stil a marked advantage: they increase your formation size (crucial in assaults), often by a factor of 2, and they wil take the first hits if placed correctly (i.e., at the front of the formation).

To illustrate my points, let me quote baronpiero's example of a Crisis cadre with and without drone screen receiving 8 hits. While it is true that the cadre with screen did take more casualties, they only lost half the Crisis units compared to the unshielded formation, and still have 4 units remaining, instead of only 1.33

This alone is bonus enough IMHO, for a relatively cheap upgrade, and the main strength lies in partially ignoring BMs anyway.

BTW, coupled to this I have been toying with the idea (and it is just that, *toying* with an *idea*!) of saying that drones simply don't generate BMs at all, while the change above is kept and points cost increased to 100 points (at least for the upgrade).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
I'd really hate to see the base Drone cost go up to 100pts (Tis doesn't mean I wouldn't try it), but I do fully agree with the Drone Changes for assaults, they offer the Tau too many 'outs' against direct assaults.

However, used properly they are still very useful in assaults, just not as useful as they were before the change.

Jaldon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm always for depowering Tau :)
Seriously though it looks better, however the consequence I would see from the (admitably I've only ever played them twice) change is the Tau are even less likely to try a desperate assault. Is this good or bad?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
IMHO it would be a good thing because the Tau should only perform a direct assault in the most extreme circumstances, and only after it is fully prepared.

So the harder the better, as long as it doesn't go too far and eliminate the option entirely.

Jaldon :p

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (The_Real_Chris @ 10 2005 July,08:00)
Seriously though it looks better, however the consequence I would see from the (admitably I've only ever played them twice) change is the Tau are even less likely to try a desperate assault. Is this good or bad?

In my experience, drones are one of the less important factors for pulling off an assault or not.

The real factors are numbers and BMs. I never worried too much if I had drones around or not... they always seemed like a minor difference in most cases anyway - example: you lose two drones, only counts as 1 casualty; cool but outnumbering and BMs give you +2 to +4 from the outset, and those are *fixed*, i.e. not dependent on dice rolling.

So for me and the few desperate Tau assaults I make, the change makes little to no difference. Can't speak for others, though...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The loss of the drones count half damage in cc seemed like what shield drones were designed to do - 'save the fish people' (tau) :)

Who's to say that such losses still aren't a source for concern for them though. Afterall, the death of a drone still saves a FW.

I completely understand the perspective of eliminating the drone's special rule for combat. I guess I reluctantly have to agree with the philosophy you are going after here.

I don't see the change having a major impact to the way the list fights in cc anyway as I generally don't have a horde of drones in any given formation anyway. Lack of a special rule just makes things cleaner anyway.

I definitely wouldn't increase their points though. They are already a unit that I sometimes question the value of. Being less useful in combat only makes me rethink their usefulness further.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What me and the group have played with, is making the drones Grots (except not in assaults).

As such, they'd count as no casualties in ranged fire... but as normal casualties in assaults! For us, its worked out very well. They've proved to be especially useful in Mechanised Shas'la cadres, where they'd soak up casualties as the Tau got into position, without giving the Tau an edge in an enemy assault.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think getting drone right is the key to getting the Tau list right as IMO drones are a key characteristic of the Tau.
I have tried adding drones to most of my formations as they are invaluable as a means of enlarging the unit and taking hits, but back onto topic.  I agree that drones should not give any advantage in CC and they clearly do at the moment so I am happy dropping this
As an issue one problem I have with drones is when facing eldar or similar fast troops, they are able to whip round the side of my formation and shoot my crunchy battle suits rather than the drones, have you considered the rule that the first hits in a salvo can be applied to drones regardless of location of the drones, to represent the drones positioning themselves i the field of fire.