Login |  Register |  FAQ

Weapons

Post subject: Weapons
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 6 shots vulcain is the battle titans vulcain. On Warhounds, the vulcains still have 4 shots.

But playtests show that 6 shots is a bit to much : it even works pretty good against armored vehicles.
Downgrading it to 45cm 5* AP3+/AC5+ would be fine.

The epic book power fist version is tasteless and too similar to the wrecker.

About the plasma weaponnery, I wonder how to use the half-charged shots.
In the epic book, the light plasma canon may shot 2 dices every seconds turns (Slow Loading) or shot ony 1 dice, leaving the second dice for the next turn. But how to handle this with the plasma canon and the plasma destructor (4 dices each) ?

Can we consider these plasma weapons have 4 dices for 2 turns ?
4d then none, 2d then 2d, or 3d then 1d and 1d then 3d ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Hena @ 13 Jan. 2006 (04:21))
Why does the AMTL list have different stats for Vulcan Mega Bolter and Power Fist than epic rulebook?

AMTL v2:
Power Fist (Base Contact) Assault Weapons Extra Attacks (+3), Titan Killer (D3)

Rulebook (section 6, page 146 (or pdf 27)):
Power Fist (base contact) Assault Weapon Extra Attack (+1), Titan Killer (D6)

AMTL v2:
Vulcan Mega Bolter 45cm 6x AP3+ / AT5+

Rulebook (section 5 Warhound Class Light Titan, page 103 (or pdf 46)):
Vulcan Mega-Bolter 45cm 4 x AP3+/AT5+ Forward Arc

The reason why the Imperial Power Fist is listed differently in the download versus the rulebook is because of an irrational fear about a TK(D6) weapon and because somebody thought that the Imperial powerfist would *never* cause more damage than an Eldar Power Fist.

To that, I say:  PPPhhhttthhhttt!!! :p

My argument, which I made too late unfortunately, is that the Imperial Power Fist in previous editions of the game has traditionally been an all-out titan crusher and should remain a TK(D6) weapon.  (I also believe it should get a second TK(D6) CC attack, but old ladies faint when-ever I bring up that argument.)

The Vulcan Mega-Bolter as presented in the rulebook does no justice to what the weapon has been in previous editions of Epic.  Originally it was a high rate of fire infantry sweeper.  In the E:A rulebook it simply became a variation on a theme along with the Gatling Blaster and the Turbo-Laser Destructor (another frak-up in the p.165 stats)  When the Gatling Blaster and the Turbo-Laser Destructor had their ranges increased to up their power it was recognized that something different had to be done with the Vulcan Mega-Bolter.  The AMTL v2 stats you have are correctly copied from the download, but generally recognized as too-powerful.

<<<--->>>

Flogus, I disagree with you in comparing the Powerfist and the Wrecker.  I don't think that the Imperial Power Fist is tasteless, "underpowered" would be my choice of words.  Same thing for the Wrecker.  Both are supposed to be very powerful, yet the Wrecker, in the previous edition of Epic "Space Marine" gave up some power for the ability that Epic: Armageddon would call First Strike.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wait a minute, Blarg, aren't 3 x TK(D3) attacks better than 1 x TK(D6)? The average TK damage for the AMTL version is 5 TK damage vs 2.92 for the rulebook version. Not only that, both the damage probability distribution curve and the absolute max damage is better for the AMTL version. Also, the current version is better (in CC) than the Eldar P-fist, due to the greater number of attacks and the better to-hit values.

I was under the impression that the reason the P-fist went from 1xD6 to 3xD3 was that it needed to cause both lots of TK damage, and the Warlord needed more attacks (in general) to better take on hoardes. I might be wrong as to this, since I haven't been following this too closely.

As for your suggested 2xTK(D6) stat line, you're right, it is better than both the AMTL stats and the book stats, but the trade off is few attacks overall. Thats a matter for personal preference, and I see that your opinion is just as good as anyone elses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (semajnollissor @ 17 Jan. 2006 (16:34))
Wait a minute, Blarg, aren't 3 x TK(D3) attacks better than 1 x TK(D6)? The average TK damage for the AMTL version is 5 TK damage vs 2.92 for the rulebook version. Not only that, both the damage probability distribution curve and the absolute max damage is better for the AMTL version. Also, the current version is better (in CC) than the Eldar P-fist, due to the greater number of attacks and the better to-hit values.

I was under the impression that the reason the P-fist went from 1xD6 to 3xD3 was that it needed to cause both lots of TK damage, and the Warlord needed more attacks (in general) to better take on hoardes. I might be wrong as to this, since I haven't been following this too closely.

As for your suggested 2xTK(D6) stat line, you're right, it is better than both the AMTL stats and the book stats, but the trade off is few attacks overall. Thats a matter for personal preference, and I see that your opinion is just as good as anyone elses.

The strength of the Eldar Power Fist lies in that it can do CC attacks, FF attacks, and ranged combat attacks.  Naturally, for it to have all of those abilities it should not be the equal to the typically single-minded nature of Imperial weapons.

Here's what happened regarding CC weapons:  There was a lot of discussion ranging over all of the AMTL stuff back on the old SG Forums.  One guy, posting under the name "Lightbulb," started a new thread to try to hash out new CC weapon stats.  The thread gained a lot more traction in discussion than I anticipated and eventually created a consensus among some of the people posting.  One of the recomendations was to change the TK damage on Imperial Powerfists from D6 to D3 for the primary reason that the participants of the discussion didn't like D6 TK damage.  This change was justified by comparing the Imperial Powerfist to the Eldar Powerfist.  I pretty much disagree with the whole thing: the need to change to a TK(D3) damage, the comparison to the Eldar Powerfist, and the fact that the Eldar Powerfist is only TK(D3) damage.  But, like you said, my opinion is only as good as anyone elses...

Using a powerfist to take on hordes of infantry and vehicles is a sign that you have taken the wrong weapon on the titan.  A chainfist is much better at taking on large numbers of small attackers because a TK(D?) is not wasted on their non-reinforced armor and it has a higher number of extra attacks to deal with the assumed larger number of attackers.

My personal preference, and one of my big problems with the current list of weapons, is that the weapons try to emulate the diversity and individuality of the titan weapons that was seen in the first two editions of Epic.  In previous editions the Imperial Powerfist was a titan killer in the purest sense of the word: there were no rules for it engaging infantry or vehicles, whenever it attacked a titan successfully there was a good chance that the titan would end up dead, and whenever it attacked a building the armor save modifier for the building was pretty steep.  One turn of CC versus an Imperial Powerfist = dead (or severely damaged) titan or gargant.  2x TK(D6) attacks and 2x MW attacks seems like a very close approximation to that for me, and based upon a mathematical system I set up to it seems to balance with other weapons also.

But like you said, my opinion is only as good as everyone elses...

For now.  :devil:  :D  :devil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How do you resolve the attacks from a Titan with both Macro Barrage and regular or Disrupting Barrage?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (-AL @ 04 Feb. 2006 (18:26))
How do you resolve the attacks from a Titan with both Macro Barrage and regular or Disrupting Barrage?

If you only fire one of the weapons a turn, you get the full effect of that weapon only.

If you fire both weapons, then the barrage points are added together, but the special abilities are *not* added together, so the attack would lose both the MW component and the disrupt component.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?