Login |  Register |  FAQ

My First AMTL v Orks - requesting advice

Post subject: My First AMTL v Orks - requesting advice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (The_Real_Chris @ 21 2005 July,06:58)

Guess what, I like it :)

LMAO - I shoudl have known. ;)

It allows me to have a viable assault warlord which is a terror to behold. In two turns I can cover 80 to 120cm's. Indeed if he garrissons forward (and I recomend sticking objectives as close to you and as close together as possible) you can assualt turn 2 using FF knights (who are beyond grim and probably overpowered) as support.

OK... but I thought WE's couldn't garrison... Is this an exception in the AMTL list?

Interesting, you are a fan of the FF knights then. I didn't think there was much buzz about them. I was under the impression that people were thinking they were over priced for their output. You seem to be saying the opposite here. I was actually going to toy with putting in a few.

The fact that you have to have the paladin for each other sqaud of them only increases thier cost to me.... hmm..

Good weapons to go with it from my general fit are a melta gun(/vc in case you end up out of posistion) and power fist (against orks not the best choice but by far the coolist).

Melta and PF + Dev Bell aye? Seems like an uber investment in points to 'hope' you get big'in to combat...

Perhaps knowing your opponent and terrain the chainfist is [UN?]called for (unless you want to beat up a Gargant) though I prefer to know when I hit something its definatively dead and the Melta gun though an assualt bonus may not be as effective as an inferno gun with its two templates of ignore cover fire.

warlord with dev bell, inferno, and PF... hmm... :) Your just not convincing me yet. It seems like the orcs would have a pretty easy 'staying away' from the warlord if they wanted too. Doubles come easy for them.

Remember Warlords are CC monsters and a 20cm charge is not to be sniffed at. Plus as a CC titan the Orks will be forced to worry about you! Getting a multiple 2+ attack monster stomping you is one of the worse things that can happen (second only to a Great gargant attacking you) especially when reinforced with the AMTL assault weaponry. Not often used but makes a big dent in these sorts of opponents.

Hmm... I like the idea of beating the orcs at their own game. I'm just not sure the numbers are there. I'll admit, you've raised my curiousity. I'll play with the numbers and see if I think I can reasonably pull off a combat with AMTL warlord... a cc monster sounds cool  - and scary, but I'll definitely look into it. I'm worried that it will never see combat though... Dev Bell still seems like a waste, but I'll review again this eve.

Thanks for making me scratch my head over this now TRC,

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:51 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'd definitely go with a FF Warlord long before CC.

1)  You're far more likely to reach FF range on the offense - 35cm "range" v 20cm for CC.

2)  Even in CC, large formations like Orks are likely to have units not in base contact so the FF shots will almost never be wasted.

3)  CC gives the opponent the option of nullifying it completely in an engagement by choosing to stay out of CC.  FF leaves no such option unless they can place every single model in base contact.  Not only is that extremely unlikely against the Orks, no Ork formation that small would be a real threat outside of a Gargant.

Warlord CC is just not a threat unless you have a highly constricted board and enemy.  From your description of the proposed battle, I just don't see that being the case.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 21 2005 July,18:51)
I'd definitely go with a FF Warlord long before CC.

1) ?You're far more likely to reach FF range on the offense - 35cm "range" v 20cm for CC.

2) ?Even in CC, large formations like Orks are likely to have units not in base contact so the FF shots will almost never be wasted.

3) ?CC gives the opponent the option of nullifying it completely in an engagement by choosing to stay out of CC. ?FF leaves no such option unless they can place every single model in base contact. ?Not only is that extremely unlikely against the Orks, no Ork formation that small would be a real threat outside of a Gargant.

Warlord CC is just not a threat unless you have a highly constricted board and enemy. ?From your description of the proposed battle, I just don't see that being the case.

NH and TRC,

I built a few lists this evening. I matched them up with what I think is likely for the orc player to field. IMHO, the CC warlord is at a severe disadvantage and the points lost if I don't get him in CC are too significant.

Furthermore, he can affect the field where he can't hope to get to with weapons, but in CC mode, he has to commit to one area of the field - and that's it.

I like options, I'm not going to field a HTH warlord. I just can't make the numbers work for the kind of field we are playing on.

Thanks for the responses gents.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As many of the "Old Timers" on this site know, I'm totally against C/C weapons on Titans.  All my Titans have ranged weapons.  I see them as "Landships", ie., very heavily armed and armored mobile weapons platforms.  C/C weapons on a Titan is like putting a ram on a battleship.  Leave the C/C stuff to 40K players !  Rapidly maneuver in position and start blasting away ...  :D