Login |  Register |  FAQ

v2 :: Background Blurbs

Post subject: v2 :: Background Blurbs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone got any ideas for the background blurbs for the following units?

Knight Castellan
Knight Crusader

Veteran Princeps
Legate

Dysartes.com - Resources for the Modern Wargamer - Last updated: December 2004 - Next Update: In Progress

Sentinels are just young titans that haven't grown up yet!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, Veteran Princeps are pretty much self-explanatory, I'll see if I can dig up anything on the knights.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've just checked my stuff.

Knights: The only reference I can find is page 30 of Codex Titanicus from Titan Legions with the unit stats. ?I'm guessing your looking for anything extra as I'd be suprised if you didn't have that already.

Veteran Princeps & Legate: I've found reference to a 'Senior Princeps' and 'Grand Master' in a white dwarf article sadly the pages don't have the Issue number on them, but it's the same article with the fluff for the Devotional Bell.

Codex Titanicus from 1st Ed on page 27 refers to a 'Praetorian' which is also implied to be above a 'Princeps Seniores'. ?There's a bit more about Princeps on pages 30 & 31

From these we could get

Veteran Princeps

A Veteran Princeps will often be given command of a Titan Battle group and it's supporting formations. ?Years of frontline battle develop the skills needed to lead the forces at his disposal so they compensate for their individual weaknesses.

Legate

The Legate commands an entire Titan Legion in war, an extreme position of power weighted by the absolute responsibility for the survival of the Machine Gods greatest land based War Machines. ?The mere presence of the Legates own Titan combined with his ability in war honed acrossed the battlefields of the Imperium can make a Titan Assualt much more than the sum of its already mighty parts.

Hope this helps.

Biff.

Never heard of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll have a think...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If I remember, Legate was added not as a replacement for the Grand Master, but in order to give the Titan Legion a generic supreme commmander. Similarly, a SM army doesn't have to be commanded by a Chapter Master.

As the name Legate means an emissary, a delegate,  he can be thought of as a Princeps delegated by the Grand Master to command the battlegroup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Welcome to the board Baduin. :)

Here's some fluff from the real old days of epic....

The crusader and castellan are "heavy knights" sporting heavy weapons. They are slower, less apt for physical close combat than the standard paladin chassis, but to compensate have higher armor and longer ranged weapons. They serve a support function in the knight households.

In the old days they were called "wardens". These were senior knights whom age had taken hold and werent as good as younger knights for the quick "hack and slash" of knight-to-knight combat. However their experience and dogged determination were harnessed by the household by using old knight chassis that were heavily armored, slow, but armed with the biggest guns the household could provide. They mainly serve guardian duties of the main household fortresses, but were used on the battlefield as heavy support.

The old warden "morphed" in the crusader and castellan in SM2/TL, but thats the background concept behind them.

A veteran princeps is someone with battle experience. If you used the old AT experience charts a princeps with a certain amount of kills (very high indeed since it was the highest rank under Ace). SO from a background perspective a veteran princeps is someone with a good amount of battle experience against other titans and has many "kills" on his banner.

Legate, under epic at least, I have never heard of this term. It may apply to 40k, but no epic equivalent has exsisted officially. Although some conversion may exsist somewhere on the web.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the Legate was invented for the EpicArmageddon Titan Legion list.