Login |  Register |  FAQ

Skitarii Battle Reports for Approved Status

Post subject: Re: Skitarii Battle Reports for Approved Status
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not entirely a battle report; here’s a summary of my six Skitarii games at Cancon, thoughts at the end. Foolishly, I didn’t make a note of which conditions were met, and now it’s all a blur.
It’s a great competition, well organised and run, and played in a friendly spirit. Numbers were a little down this year, with 20 players.

The list I took:
SKITARII DEMI-CENTURY [500] 2 Secutor units, 8 Hypaspist units, 10 Chimedons, Hydra, Magos Character
SAGITARII DEMI-CENTURY [425] 5 Sagitarii units, 5 Rapier Laser Destroyer Unit, Minorus with Laser Blaster
SAGITARII DEMI-CENTURY [400] 5 Sagitarii units, 5 Gun Servitor Unit, Minorus with Laser Blaster
ORDINATUS MAJORUS [450] 1 Ordinatus Majorus, Ordinatus Mars (Sonic Disruptor)
ORDINATUS MINORUS [300] 2 Ordinatus Minorus, 2 Plasma Cannon
CRUSADER SCOUT MANIPLE [125] 4 Crusader Robots
CRUSADER SCOUT MANIPLE [125] 4 Crusader Robots
COLOSSUS ASSAULT MANIPLE [200] 4 Colossus Robots
AVENGER SQUADRON [200] 2 Avenger Strike Fighters
WARHOUND TITAN [275] Inferno Gun, Vulcan Megabolter

Day 1
Game 1 vs Sisters (Deb) Won 3-0, turn 3
MISSION [450] 8 Battle Sisters, Canoness, Rhino, Soroitas Hunter, 2 Repressor
MISSION [325] Palatine, 8 Battle Sisters, Repressor, Soroitas Hunter
CHOIR [250] 6 Seraphim Sister Units, Palatine
EXORCISM [350] 6 Exorcist, Soroitas Hunter
PENTINENCE [255] 7 Pentinent Engine
INQUISITOR HERETICUS RETINUE [420] Inquisitor, 7 Storm Trooper, 4 Valkyries, Death Cult Assassin, Priest
SANCTUM PATTERN REAVER TITAN [650] 1 Reaver (Sanctum Pattern)
LIGHTNING SQUADRON [150] 2 Lightning Strike Fighters
LIGHTNING SQUADRON [150] 2 Lightning Strike Fighters
Highlight (for me!) of this game was the Reaver stubbing his/her toe in terrain turn 1, and getting a crit into the bargain. The plasma Minorus gave it a few more wounds and another crit, and it kindly expired during the end phase. Deb really didn’t recover from this setback. The sisters spent a lot of energy clearing robot screens while all my big guns did horrible things to them.

Game 2 vs Oldcrons (Hashtag) Won 1-0, turn 4
VENATOR MANIPLE [275] 6 Flayed Ones, Necron Lord, Tomb Spyders
MONOLITH PHALANX [275] 3 Monoliths
INFANTRY PHALANX [465] Necron Lord, 6 Warriors, 2 Immortals, 2 Tomb Spyders, Pariahs
INFANTRY PHALANX [335] Necron Lord, 6 Warriors, Pariahs, Tomb Spyders
INFANTRY PHALANX [335] Necron Lord, 6 Warriors, Tomb Spyders, Pariahs
WARBARQUE [350] Supreme Commander
PYLON [200]
PYLON [200]
Deployment zone was crowded by a wooded hill, but since I won the roll-off, I only have myself to blame. Zac dropped multiple monolith threats right in front of my lines, and it would have been impossible to counter all of them if he hadn’t rolled so very badly for his first assault. Unfortunately he did break the warhound, who spent the rest of the game within striking distance of the enemy blitz, but failing to rally. Until a brief shining moment at the end of turn 3, before the warbarque broke it again. Entity of the match goes to the monolith that saved upwards of ten hits, before finally succumbing in turn 4.

Game 3 vs Newcrons (Mic) Lost 0-3
TRIARCH MANIPLE [550] C'Tan Shard, 6 Triarch Praetorian Units, Necron Lord
IMMORTAL PHALANX [475] Necron Lord, 8 Immortal units, Cryptek character, Necron Overlord
EQUES MANIPLE [325] 6 Destroyer, Necron Lord
WARRIOR PHALANX [200] Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit
MONOLITH MANIPLE [175] 2 Monolith
PYLON [200] Pylon
PYLON [200] Pylon
NIGHT SCYTHES [175] 2 Night Scythes
NIGHT SCYTHES [175] 2 Night Scythes

Have you ever had a game where you knew really, really early in the piece it was all over? I won the roll-off, retained. Mic activated and retained. Before I attempted to activate my next unit, it was a foregone conclusion. Bad matchup on a bad table (for me) against the man who won Cancon for the third time in a row this year. The mop-up only took to the end of turn three, executed with clinical precision by the newcrons. Just a well Mic is such a nice bloke, or I’d have been crying into my beers that night.

Day 2
Game 4 vs Steel Legion (Conor) Won 3-0, turn 3
REGIMENTAL HQ [650] Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Fire Support Platoon (4 Fire Support), 2 Chimera + Commissar
TANK COMPANY [700] 10 Leman Russ, Hydra + Commissar
TANK COMPANY [700] 10 Leman Russ, Hydra + Commissar
SENTINEL SQUADRON [100] 4 Sentinels
DEATHSTRIKE MISSILE BATTERY [200] 2 Deathstrike Missile Launchers + Commissar
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Shadowsword + Commissar
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Shadowsword + Commissar
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150] 2 Thunderbolts
If you’re going to have 2 BTS, this is definitely a good way to go! I’ve always struggled to crack one tank company, two had me looking to the other objectives and pretty much giving up the possibility of getting the BTS. Winning the roll-off on turn 1, the Majoris laid some template pain on the HQ, catching a shadowsword and a deathstrike into the bargain. Huzzah! Avengers came in at the end, successfully chancing the CAP to clean up the broken deathstrikes. His shadowswords more than made up for this though, cleaning up both plasma and one las minorus, with 3!! Crits into the bargain. Have I mentioned before that a 15cm crit is nasty? Well, most of the units were still packed into a crowded deployment zone, so that left a mark ☹ Somehow though, the Skitarii managed a few lucky shots to kill the commissars from the tank companies, and destroyed both the BTS formations. So much for my lack of optimism!

Game 5 vs Cadians (John) Lost 0-2
CADIAN REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS [650] 1 Imperial Guard Supreme Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units and 1 Leviathan Mobile Command Centre, Sanctioned Psykers (2 Sanctioned Psyker units), Sabre Platforms (3 Sabre Platforms)
KASRKIN INFANTRY COMPANY [200] 1 Imperial Guard Commander unit and 7 Kasrkin units, Sanctioned Psykers (1 Sanctioned Psyker unit)
KASRKIN INFANTRY COMPANY [200] 1 Imperial Guard Commander unit and 7 Kasrkin units, Sanctioned Psykers (1 Sanctioned Psyker unit)
KASRKIN INFANTRY COMPANY [175] 1 Imperial Guard Commander unit and 7 Kasrkin units
KASRKIN INFANTRY COMPANY [175] 1 Imperial Guard Commander unit and 7 Kasrkin units
DEATHSTRIKE BATTERY [200] 2 Deathstrike Missile Launchers
FLAK BATTERY [150] 3 hydras
HELLHOUND PLATOON [250] 6 Hellhounds
SENTINEL SQUADRON [125] 6 Cadian Sentinels
SENTINEL SQUADRON [125] 6 Cadian Sentinels
SUPER HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Shadowsword
Yup, that’s a lot of formations. John is a regular opponent, and played most of my test games for this list, so he knew how to avoid the barrage. Despite this being a nice, open table, John shut my Majoris down pretty well with the shadowswords forcing it to cower behind a building on one side of the table for fear of volcano death. Deathstrikes got off this time, but only one of them hit, and the Majoris survived. I managed to break his BTS, but couldn’t capitalise on it, and failed to finish it off. Once again the warhound spent half the game broken near the enemy blitz and refusing to rally. Also, plasma minorus unit spent its second game either broken or dead. Really could have used their help, but it was not to be. Honestly I think I was lucky to get away with just a 0-2 in the end, the skitarii really fell apart in turn 3 and the waves of kasrkin were ready to reap the benefits of many extra activations.

Game 6 vs Steel Legion (Jim) Lost 0-3
REGIMENTAL HQ [700]Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Tank Squadron (3 Leman Russ), 1 Sniper
TANK COMPANY [650] 9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher + Commissar
SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [500] 3 Shadowsword + Commissar
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250] 3 Manticores + Commissar
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250] 3 Basilisks
FLAK BATTERY [150] 3 Hydra + Commissar
FLAK BATTERY [150] 3 Hydra + Commissar
A lovely city table for the final game. Lots of cover, and plenty of open lines of fire too. Jim brought this table to the tournament, so he definitely had the home-ground advantage! After much very careful consideration of lines of sight, angles, building cover etc, we both deployed as much out of sight as we could. Which meant bunching in the lee of buildings. An advance from the Majoris gave just enough of a los to Jim’s tank company for some 10BP action, and netted me hits on the basilisks and hydras into the bargain. Best visual moment of the weekend came from this game.. Jim’s HQ was advancing on me up the left middle of the table late in the game, a double from the Majoris gave a nice long shot down a road between buildings. Jim’s description of visualising the sonic enfilade coming down the street between buildings has me convinced to take the Mars Majoris again, purely for the rule of cool. Despite giving his formations a flogging, I just couldn’t remove much in this game; the plasma minorus once again spending too much time broken and not rallying. Then I had a brain snap in my last activation and walked my robots off the blitz, allowing a pair of sentinels to do the table run to seal my fate.

Parting thoughts: once again, the minorus crit distance was a topic of “how far?!?” discussions. A 10cm blast might encourage more embedding with the demis. I’m ambivalent at this point, as it can discourage assaults. Or at least give me some phyrrhic satisfaction.
I’d still love to see a leader upgrade option for the demis. Big formations collect a lot of blast markers, it would be good to have a little help in clearing them..
Overall, I walked away with 3 wins and 3 losses. I think I’m a pretty average player, so I reckon that shows good balance in the list. It felt AdMech, not just “different Guard”, and was immediately spotted as such by other players and passers-by.
Many pictures were taken (by others), so hopefully shots will be posted soon. The tables looked stunning, and there were some beautiful armies on display.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the reports. Seems the list is just in the right place.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, thanks for the report! Good to see the list on the table and performing pretty well. I'll keep an eye on the crit range and if it comes up more we'll drop it.

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The crit range is devastating when it goes off, and fruitbat had some bad luck with that over with some of his practice games.

I have to say I find it super cinematic though :P

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Something a little unexpected for this report. My planned opponent was unable to make it at the last minute due to illness, so Chris stepped in with his first outing of Chaos Titans. He went all Khorne for the +1 to assault, but was already re-writing the list during deployment as it seemed far from optimal..

AdMech Skitarii
Skitarii Demi Century - 8 Hypaspist, 2 Secutor. in Chimedons. Magos, Hydra [BTS] 500 Sagitarii Demi Century - 5 Sagitarii, 5 Rapiers. Ordinatus Minorus with corvus pod 375
Sagitarii Demi Century - 5 Sagitarii, 5 Gun Servitors. Ordinatus Minorus with corvus pod 350
Ordinatus Majoris – Mars 450
2 Ordinatus Minorus – Plasma Cannons 300
2 Ordinatus Minorus – Laser Blasters 350
4 Crusader Robots 125
Warhound Scout Titan [275] Vulkan, Plasma blastgun 275
Warhound Scout Titan [275] Vulkan, Inferno Gun 275
Total 3000
Chaos Titans (Khorne)
Warlord titan of Khorne [BTS] 750
Greater Daemon possession (sc), battle head, mace tail, chaos plasma furnace, deathstorm, chaos plasma cremator, havoc barrage missiles
Reaver titan of Khorne 525
Battle head, mace tail, deathstorm, doom burner, havoc barrage missiles
2 Greater brass scorpions 350
2 Greater brass scorpions 350
Daemonic artillery 200
Daemonic artillery 200
Hell talon squadron 225
Hell talon squadron 225
11 lesser daemons 165
Total 2990
Deployment
https://i.imgur.com/fLWCZMl.jpg
Knowing he needed to get across the table asap, my opponent called the long edges and dropped his blitz near the corner, mine went well away from his. With his first objective in my half in front of his blitz, I played the spoiling drop in the middle – heading off the usual titan standing between two objectives just over 30 apart. So he responded with the same potential trick against my blitz. Uh-oh. Fortunately, by the time deployment was done, I’d bunkered my chunky BTS in a position to avoid any potential strife on that front, and his titans were weighing down the right side of the field in total flank domination.

Turn 1
https://i.imgur.com/Kke6toG.jpg
Initiative to Chaos, and he advances his cannons of Khorne from Blitz defence to bring their macro into range of the las minorus, only a shield down as a result. Majoris Mars takes the obvious shot to put a little damage (and many blasties) on the scorpions and warlord. Scorpions aren’t broken, and proceed to run towards me at high pace. Warhound doubles around the terrain to put a little more damage on the scorpions and break them, sending them back to cover in the ruins.
Chaos warlord begins the advance up the table. AdMech are suitably terrified and send in the Corvus pod with rapiers to hose him down, stripping a bunch of shields, and follow up with the las minorus to finish the shields and add a point of damage or two.
Cannons of Khorne in middle of table see their chance, double up centre and pour fire into the las minorus, stripping both shields and a point of damage from the closest (no crit, huzzah!). Later in the turn, the reaver will put another blastie on them and send them scurrying back to the baseline broken but still alive.
Mid-table scorpion pair decide that taking two turns to get up the board is too slow, and make a rush for the centre table monument. Which gave the inferno warhound and plasma minorus a really juicy target, soon removed from the table. Even though the plasma failed to activate and gave themselves a blastie.
One unit of chaos planes failed to arrive, the other bombed the rapier corvus unit, but not enough damage to break them. Flak from the corvus did nothing. Two dice at 6 can be more of a psychological than actual defence..
With a free reign on the left, the robots remembered that they are really fast scouts, and sprinted up the table edge for an objective. The Skitarii BTS started the slow grinding spread to take our near objective and make the most of cover.

Turn 1 rallies
https://i.imgur.com/i6Kp7JI.jpg
Chaos planes fly off AdMech edge, facing only 1 more lot of flak from the Majoris, which doesn’t hit. Shields regenerate, everything except the plasma minorus and the last scorpion rallies.
Turn 2
To be honest, it’s all a bit of a blur at this point. There was a BBQ smoker at the venue, and we were busy ordering tacos and beer.. but:
AdMech win the (tied) initiative roll, and the Majoris promptly drops disrupt template death on the Chaos warlord and cannons next to him, breaking both units and my opponent’s will to continue. He responds with the reaver breaking the rapier corvus group. AdMech warhound sneaks around the building for an objective grab. In the middle of the table, the inferno warhound and cannons of khorne trade shots and blast markers, but not much else. Plasma minorus make a dash to cover the objective in preparation for the warhound’s inevitable turn 3 demise.
Chos planes with 3 blast markes fail to com on, shocking no-one. The others fly down the table edge, neatly avoiding all flak except from their target (Majoris), which again fails to hit. The only succeed in stripping shields, so that was a lucky escape.
https://i.imgur.com/S84KXRL.jpg
At this point, my opponent decides beer and tacos is preferable to turn 3, and concedes. AdMech hold 5/6 objectives and don’t look likely to drop enough in turn 3 to cause any issues, the warlord is in a bad spot to threaten, and faces another turn of copping lots of shooting..
As stated, it’s a new army for Chris, but I was quite shocked he didn’t do drop the Warlord mid table and run up the guts, using the buildings for at least some cover and launching a turn 3 engage. The left side had much more cover, but he was worried about the open area in the middle. Unfortunately, this really let me use my weight of fire to best affect, splatting both scorpion units before they could ruin my day. If he’d crept them up in cover turn one, my turn two would have been a much bigger issue. All in all, I’m really happy with how the Skitarii performed here, and am loving having a stupid amount of ordinatus on the table. It’s also nice to have finally made it through one game without them going supernova on the crit.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Sounds like a fun game, thanks for the report! I think the winner was the bbq :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New report is up here:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=34000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How’s it going for this list? And where can I find it??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Still sitting with the ERC waiting to hear from the new members. You can find the list in the first post here:

https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 22&t=33605

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have you heard that it's with them Vaaish? They seem to be reasonably proactive in chasing other members (certainly gunslinger is..), so I'd hope you'd get some movement. Or at least an indication that it is moving.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I had a brief PM with Armiger when he was first brought on but nothing since.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I tried a speed list with 4 corvus minorus before the lockdown but didn't do a full battrep for it.

Despite the fact that JumpingJehovah's Emperor's Children put me in the corner, I was pretty much able to get wherever I wanted with first turn runs to set me up for a good series of engages turn two.
I was very lucky to escape a turn to mauling by his drop-podding nasties, and the favourable outcome of that cost him the game.

I had planned to have a rematch that we could write up, but lockdown has put paid to that for a while..

My quick thoughts out of the game.. I need to learn to use the praetorians better, but the speed available in the list is useful and unexpected for opponents.
Despite not having the big gun minorus, it was still quite effective. Will enjoy trying variants on that theme.