Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

AMTL 3.23.1 (Approved)

Post subject: Re: AMTL 3.23.1 (Approved)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt - I think it's only really worth considering all-comers lists where you don't know what army you'll be facing (ideally lists for playtests should be written before knowing what you're playing for them to be fair and worh doing).

Sure the Deathstrike list would be nasty against enemy titans, but pretty poor against most armies. The shock and awe list doesn't look to me like it would live up to it's name either. Facing that I would spread out my formations as much as possible in my deployment to make sure each salvo only hit one formation, as well as making use of cover. Incidentally they could fire both missiles at once but the extra benefit would be small and it would be better off using them over two turns,

It was definitely the intent, though whether it's wise or not is debatable (many would argue low maximum activations should be part of a TL army list to balance it's advantages).
Vaaish wrote:
Just checked, and as written it does allow for this. Not sure this was the intent though since it comes from back when Ben reorganized the list. I think the only combination you could pull it off with is a bunch of sentinels though.

Matt - your Warhound list looks a bit tame compared to what you can do with the Epic-UK TL list.

To go off on a tangent briefly I'm thinking of taking something along the lines of the following to a 3k tournament (weapon differences noted in brackets):
1 x Warlord – Volcano Cannon, Hydra turret (as a main weapon, same as IG vehicle), Close Combat Weapon, Laser Burner (gives +3MW attacks to FF only)
1 x Reaver – Battle Titan Inferno Gun (as normal but 4BP rather than 3BP), and 2 x Close Combat Weapon
5 x Warhounds, armed as follows:
2 x Twin Vulcan Mega Bolters (12 x AP3+ / AP5+ shots per Warhound)
Twin Plasma Blastguns (6 xMW2+ shots per Warhound)
Twin Inferno Gun
Twin Scout Turbo Laser (as ours but reduced to 45cm range)

Also Matt, are you aware the Warhound critical was universally changed to take an extra point of damage as well as staggering? Plus in the Net-EA list the God Machines special rule means when any titan formation is destroyed all friendly formations in LOS receive a BM? It's not that hard to kill Warhounds really and the knock on effects can be significant and this needs to be factored into assessing the list as a whole.
Vaaish wrote:
I do have to say that while your report with Tau is shocking, it's very much in a minority. Definitely no where near the level of concern to warrant a massive shift in the list

Agreed! I won't base too much on a single playtest, particularly as Dobbsy seems to be constantly losing and complaining about the Tau list being underpowered. Myself and a couple of other Tau players I game with find the list plays competitively and my last two games involving Tau have seen them win. Also, for what it's worth, the Epic-UK online stats show the Tau list has played their Titan Legion list twice, with both being draws.

Vaaish wrote:
Support missiles have been around since Titanicus and capable of deployment on the Warlord and Reaver hulls.

I'm fairly sure support missiles and plasma destructors were both Warlord only and not available to Reavers in the Space Marine/Titan Legion era of the game? (anyone got a copy of titan legions around to check?) Simplest and IMO best fix would just be to make the support missile 0-1 per titan. If 10BP still proves powerful the barrage missile could also drop to 8BP too, like Epic-UK did with theirs (theirs doesn't even have disrupt either though I think they went too far in making it a poor choice). I don't see support missiles as that attractive a choice myself. Sure they're powerful, but only one use and leaves the titan rather lacking in firepower afterwards.

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Quote:
Plasma Destructor 75cm 6x mw2+, Slow Firing 75 pts.

The damage caused by up to 18 MW2+ shots from a Reaver at that range has to be seen to be believed; eg On average dice it could kill 15 Predators or 7 landraiders if only their formations were that large :D
I've seen suggestions for the amount of shots to be reduced, which is probably the simplest.

Recommendation: Plasma Destructor 75cm 4x mw2+, Slow Firing 75 pts.

Yep, 6 MW shots is horribly,horribly overpowered and OTT an I've been strongly complaining about it since Vaaish introduced it. It makes no comparative sense for the PD to be better at killing non WEs than an Imperator's Plasma Annihilator.

It does seem a bit poor at it's original stats though, I don't see myself ever taking it. Perhaps it could have a 90cm range? (like the Plasma Annihilator or the Epic-UK Plasma Destructor).

If we're discussing changes and testing out a trial version of the list could we please for the love of god remove the sentinels and replace them with a more expensive robot formation?

In 40k and the background the AM have always been strongly associated with robots and use them frequently in their armies. Sentinels are a IG specific scout walker with no association with the AM. Backgroundwise and themewise they're completely inappropriate. The Skitiarii and Epic-UK TL lists have only robots and AMTL list really should too. Having a 150 point robot formation in place of Sentinels would help lower the activation numbers - helping make the list more balanced and fair to play.

Forge Knights should also be reworked (it's madness for a construction/repair robot to have infiltrate when no other Knight does) or replaced entirely with the Knight Palladin, but the Sentinels are my main bugbear with the list.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
I think 0-1 support misdile per titan would be better, they're not that good, only against WE:s.

And again, warhound "spam" is not that great as it looks on paper (and theres alot of assumptions being made in theory here!). So i see no cause to change the battle titan - scout titan ratio.

Plasma destructor can be lowered, this qas something Vaaish pushed for alone. Never saw the problem with origindl stats.

Wh spam is actually amazing :) the original problems with the list were with people taking war hound armies. Is also why you are encouraged to put mixed weapons on them.

4 war hounds are nice and indeed the points increase to 275 was to stop that in regular imperial armies, but not as bad as before if they are in a low activation force.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gyln I was thinking something similar but having 2 thunderbolt squadrons instead of of one war hound and equipping the reaver for blitz defence and barrage.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well my actual practical experience with the list with about 15+ Has failed to shoew the über-awesomeness with warhound spamming the_real_chris. But maybe we play completly different... You can't get more than 4 in a 3K list anyways...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:56 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Just to step in and make sure that everybody is playing nice.

TRC & I did a lot of testing in previous years (in different groups) with strange but fun make ups. Warhounds+Warhounds+Warhounds & Weaponless Reavers to name but two types of list that were used. These helped to shape the list and it was then taken on by players such as Vaaish & mordoten.

& I will also say that if anyone can break a list it's TRC. I suspect he's only back to bring AMTL to the UK GT and show everyone where the list is still over powered ;)

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But wasn't theese issues brought up before? Or where they igorned by Vaaish? I just think it's so weird that now when it's aporoved (finally...) theres lots of issues all of a sudden that where not brought up during actual playtesting phase from development to aporoved (last year and this spring).

And this with stress testing weird/broken lists is not something i see happening at any list. If we look at most battle reports people try out usually well balanced lists most of the time. And AC:s are not stepping in asking for OPP builds. Or if it's happening i've completly missed it...

Don't get me wrong now, maybe that how it's supposed to be. But then i wonder if the now (in)famous scouts+warlord list was used and ok'ed when approvung the codex marine list?

Some of the suggestions here are actually really good (changing sentinels for crusader robots and limiting the number of support missiles) and some are just (IMO) very theoretical (like the alleged warhound spam). And i know this phrase has been used soooo much and is pretty tiring to hear but please show battlereports which shows all explotations this list offers! Without them it's only whining over the internet.
I've put in alot of time and effort in playtesting this list and if you look at the comments to my battlereports theres practical none of theese issues being brought up!

I've done 1 new game thats gonna be a report tonight where i spam the crap out of PD:s. It would be nice if more people made the actual effort to try out their doomsday theories and show them to us!
As i've said before, i'm a firm beliver in scientific methods, if you show the evidence i'll change my view.
But if all that is going to happen is theoryhammering out lots of exploits then I think Vaaish should ignore it.

And lastly, who the hell comes to a tournament with that kind of lists that Matt_shadowlird has come up with? Who does that?! Thats ultra gamey and very douchebaggy behaviour. But i guess thoose guys exist within your groups... I've never seen any exploitation lists at our Swedish gatherings so far.

I will refeain from more comments on this subject until others present some hard facts backing up their theories.

And no, i'm nott mad or trying to be rude. Whats up with wargamers taking offence at every corner? I don't mind a heated debate at all. It's the internet for gods sake, who cares...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
But wasn't theese issues brought up before? Or where they igorned by Vaaish? I just think it's so weird that now when it's aporoved (finally...) theres lots of issues all of a sudden that where not brought up during actual playtesting phase from development to aporoved (last year and this spring).

This is fairly typical in the development process. Basically once a list goes approved it's just the nature of more people using it as it's making it's way into tournys and getting played more often that things come up or get noticed. Being approved status does not mean something is perfectly balanced and without issue. It means it has reached a level of vigor that it is considered certified for general tournament use by the ERC. Plenty of lists see tweaks once they are out in the wild. For those old timers anyone remember the Scout Drop Spam lists or Eternal Air-Assault lists from the Codex list?

AMTL was especially a crazy start-stop-switch directions contentious list over the many many years it took. I don't think there's anything getting ignored. I lurked for years here before finally actually signing up and have seen some pretty crazy stuff around this and other major factions.

mordoten wrote:
And this with stress testing weird/broken lists is not something i see happening at any list. If we look at most battle reports people try out usually well balanced lists most of the time. And AC:s are not stepping in asking for OPP builds. Or if it's happening i've completly missed it...

It does but you're right: it needs to happen more and with more skill. It's a very specific skillset that some people are very good at. I'd really love it if TRC and MS for instance would give some general pointers on their mental processes they use so the rest off us can pick up out game with.

mordoten wrote:
Don't get me wrong now, maybe that how it's supposed to be. But then i wonder if the now (in)famous scouts+warlord list was used and ok'ed when approvung the codex marine list?

This is exactly my point above. More eyes on and uses of a list, especially in a competitive tourny environment, the more crazy builds and/or issues will be found. Sometimes it takes years and a really crazy idea someone pops up with to find some of these combos. If anyone thinks the NetEA 18 playtests / 3 groups methodology is at all going to uncover that in any strict rigor, you've got another thing coming.

mordoten wrote:
And i know this phrase has been used soooo much and is pretty tiring to hear but please show battlereports which shows all explotations this list offers! Without them it's only whining over the internet.
I've put in alot of time and effort in playtesting this list and if you look at the comments to my battlereports theres practical none of theese issues being brought up!

I agree 110% with this. These are interesting builds that are worrisome. We should TEST these out. I've got a Halloween game lined up against the Space Puppies and a variation of the Warhound List from MS (trying to get double duty here-I simply don't have the luxury of free time that comes with middle age and raising a family full of little terrorists children so I need to think strategically). I'm a bit concerned that there's suddenly a fire drill around this post-approval but it is what it is. I think we all should probably be working cross factions a bit more (myself sooooo included in that statement). I think we've walled ourselves off a bit in our faction silos.

mordoten wrote:
I've done 1 new game thats gonna be a report tonight where i spam the crap out of PD:s. It would be nice if more people made the actual effort to try out their doomsday theories and show them to us!
As i've said before, i'm a firm beliver in scientific methods, if you show the evidence i'll change my view.
But if all that is going to happen is theoryhammering out lots of exploits then I think Vaaish should ignore it.

Testing=good.
There's nothing scientific at all in the NetEA process-PERIOD. Scrub that laughable concept from your thinking. 18 tests is no where close to even statistically significant a sample let alone has anything close to the rigor required from a testing perspective to use that term (I'll point out the lack of a control group also happens to 100% torpedo that at a definition level as well). Not trying to debate or come off belittling, just there's more than a few statisticians, scientists, and mathematicians here and that notion has been soundly beaten, taken behind the woodshed and shot in the head, repeatedly, with a nuclear equipped howitzer. ;)
I think it was Kyuss in the NetEA/EpicUK testing thread that said something along the lines of testing is "more of a finger up in the wind" deal than scientific.

That does not equate to worthless. You and your group's output has been nothing if not prolific and a major boon to pushing things forward.

mordoten wrote:
And lastly, who the hell comes to a tournament with that kind of lists that Matt_shadowlird has come up with? Who does that?! Thats ultra gamey and very douchebaggy behaviour.

It is. And that's one of the things we're supposed to try uncover and limit.

mordoten wrote:
It's the internet for gods sake, who cares...
QFT :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Let me step in before we devolve from discussing potential issues to wishlisting.

There aren't going to be major changes to the Titan list right now that throw it back to experimental or developmental status. Weapons tweaks or fixes when an imbalance shows up is fine and good. So is trying to break the list to find those issues.

That's where we started when Matt pulled out the lists earlier in the thread. At this point we aren't ready to discuss changes... we haven't even tried out the lists! Discussing major changes like replacing sentinels or fixed config titans is jumping the gun more than a little.

Yes, Matt showed it's possible to spam support missiles, however it's not something new and crazy. There haven't been any restrictions on numbers of support missiles going back to at least 3.15. Looking back it appears that the carapace only restriction got lost when I moved the list to InDesign so I'll add that back in. That alone knocks 2/3 of the missiles off Matt's lists and I'd wager it's a far less scary proposition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
Let me step in before we devolve from discussing potential issues to wishlisting.

There aren't going to be major changes to the Titan list right now that throw it back to experimental or developmental status. Weapons tweaks or fixes when an imbalance shows up is fine and good. So is trying to break the list to find those issues.

THANK YOU :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think restricting the missiles to carapace only is pretty much the only issue I see. Maybe the big plasma weapon but I haven't played using it enough to really have an opinion on it. The missiles had a solid chance at just being unfun to play against if you could take 2+ per Reaver.

Iron Warriors (Currently Building)
Daemons

My Commission Website: http://hulksmashstudios.webs.com
My Languishing Blog that will soon host some Epic stuff: http://hulksmash-homeplace.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:

And you should, and have been, congratulated Mordoten. Top marks. The question I have though is did you test these types of lists for these issues during your play tests? If you didn't, this is and the fact the list is now approved is why they will appear now.

mordoten wrote:

Ahh, looking forward to this one.

mordoten wrote:
And lastly, who the hell comes to a tournament with that kind of lists that Matt_shadowlird has come up with? Who does that?! Thats ultra gamey and very douchebaggy behaviour.

That's a fair assessment, but I actually need to know why it's considered gamey if it's allowed in the list in the first place? There are players I know that will "game" every list they play. It's because they're super competitive and more importantly because they can. They're not restricted in any way by the list after all. If it's gamey then perhaps restrictions are necessary in the list. Wouldn't that be a common sense approach to list writing when these issues appear?

As an example, we had a player try to use Jump Packs on a Phantom Titan in a tournament. The reason? It was written on the army list.... It was a typo sure, but it existed in the list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

mordoten wrote:

glad to hear it and I get your frustration, although bear in mind it can be equally frustrating when you essentially waste a game you could be enjoying, just to prove a point.... I speak from painful experience.... ::)

and your other points are valid, but I agree with Jimmy and the others, Approved != finished and balanced, it's just a general guideline that individual units and weapons aren't stupidly over/under-costed/powered, if we're relying on gentlemanly behaviour to ensure fair games, then why even have lists at all? let's all just drink our brandy and wax our moustaches and go 'hmmm yes what a spiffingly sporting game we're having what what!'

I think having at least a couple of games focusing on areas where the list can be abused is worthwhile.... nobody here is saying that the approval process was rushed through or not rigorous enough :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Last edited by kyussinchains on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't know about your playstyle Kyuss, but I always dress in top hat and tails sporting a monocle when playing ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very valid points gents. I guess i'm putting to much worth in the "word" approved. It makes sense that more faults will come up once a list becomes more widespread. Battlereport will come up as soon as my kid goes to bed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
& I will also say that if anyone can break a list it's TRC. I suspect he's only back to bring AMTL to the UK GT and show everyone where the list is still over powered ;)

He is in my head! I swear it wasn't a real series of plans I was having on the train to the bunker this morning!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next