Login |  Register |  FAQ

[OLD] Knight World 2.1

Post subject: [OLD] Knight World 2.1
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:37 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Alright, here's 2.1 with the changes listed here: http://taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/view ... 01#p522401

Vaaish, can you un-sticky the old thread and sticky this one please?

In addition, I added a shock lance to the Baron at the request of WoU and bumped him to +200 points. Also, I left a single upgrade option for the Custodians at +110 points.

Things that concern me (read as "please test!"):

An army full of Errants
The Custodian formation (points-wise)
Lancer internal-balance

Attachments:
knight_world-2.1.pdf [1.4 MiB]
Downloaded 509 times

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Knight World 2.1
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good. I like the changes. Couple of typos in the army list. Seneschal is mispelled. Also, for the Custodian Househlold, it reads, "Add onr Knight".

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:50 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Fixed.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:54 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

doneish...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good so far. Will get a playtest in when I can, see if I can't force some crossfire or support fire occurrences to try the new shield rules :)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm keeping an eye on this and starting to look at proxies for building my own army. I am very interested in hearing how the DC2 continues to influence and affect the test games.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The biggest complaint I've had is that the bigger formations start to become a pain due to line of sight blockage, although that would have been happening with DC1 anyway.

Other than that my group's good been happy with it so far.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm playing a game with the Knights tommorow! A battlereport will be submitted!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
I'm keeping an eye on this and starting to look at proxies for building my own army. I am very interested in hearing how the DC2 continues to influence and affect the test games.

My view on the DC2 thing from playtesting with Dave is that it helps knights act more like their fluff in a more elegant (rules-wise) manner. DC2 has both positives and negatives for them, as it should be. Advantages come to the fore when engaging and working out suppression. Disadvantages become more obvious when LoS, clipping assaults, and crossfire come into play. I think it reflects an arcane, if somewhat obsolescent, form of fighting vehicle rather well. Smaller things should fear them, but then they become targets to larger WEs, large numbers of AT shots, and TK weapons.

These benefits and drawbacks even out rather nicely IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:00 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

captPiett wrote:
Tiny-Tim wrote:

My view on the DC2 thing from playtesting with Dave is that it helps knights act more like their fluff in a more elegant (rules-wise) manner. DC2 has both positives and negatives for them, as it should be. Advantages come to the fore when engaging and working out suppression. Disadvantages become more obvious when LoS, clipping assaults, and crossfire come into play. I think it reflects an arcane, if somewhat obsolescent, form of fighting vehicle rather well. Smaller things should fear them, but then they become targets to larger WEs, large numbers of AT shots, and TK weapons.

Generally agreed with captPiett. It's important to remember we're dealing with abstractions when playing the game, and despite the preference/tendency to want to include more minute detail into the game rules, I was and am strongly in favor of simplifying rules where possible to minimize the rules explanation part of the warm-up phase and keep from forgetting things during play. With DC2, if you know the rules for War Engines, and your opponent explains "+1 on engage & rally rolls; first defensive roll is 4+ unmodifiable, 5+ re-roll if the attack isn't MW or TK, no shield if crossfired & no shield vs. supporting fire; power & shock lances only on charge," there's not a whole lot to have to keep straight. The alternative with DC1 war engines was to have to explain all of that, AND THEN have to explain that 3 out of 4 space marine special rules apply (and which ones they are) because they're DC1 war engines and need special treatment.

Going up to DC2 streamlined the rules (most of the benefits of "space marine" blast marker/morale rules without having to put in paragraphs of explanatory text), while adding some other benefits and drawbacks.

DC2 gives you a slightly better barge (going down to vehicle, non-DC which was one of the other possibilities considered would have taken this away entirely) to represent a building-sized war engine plowing into an infantry or vehicle formation on an engage, but it also lets you get swarmed more easily when up against a mob army too (and beware the ants...).

The only other major wrinkle in going to DC2 was that you got greater unit coherency, which imo was a good de-complication from the previous playstyle. Having to maintain 5cm coherency was a pain, and pretty much ensured that formations larger than 3 typically ran into major LOS firing issues due to the whole War Engine thing. Here, going to DC2 gives you more room to maneuver and probably better reflects Knights at 40k scale as well, since you get 3-7 semi-autonomous walkers in a spaced out assault formation. The only major potential "gamey" part of this is the current testing of giving Scout to Lancers. That said, while it looks beardy on paper, in practice I'm not convinced it's that much of a boost since it can easily lead to Knight sniping and forcing consolidation moves on a very expensive and high priority target anyhow, just to take advantage of the wider spacing & ZoC opportunity. Now that I'm back from a long international trip I'm going to try to get a few games in to prove this out, but I have a feeling I'm going to be proven right in that regard despite my best efforts to abuse it.

I haven't yet seen a good opportunity for wound-sharing shenanigans despite my best efforts (believe me, I've tried). It sounds like a great "gamey" opportunity, but in reality those crossfires and supported/clipping assaults combined with the low model count per formation prevents it from making a serious difference in most games.

Overall, so far I think the list does a pretty good job of demonstrating that each Knight is quite powerful (and yes, those unit entries DO look very scary on paper, and with good reason...), but given the amounts of fire the Knight Player's opponent can often focus on individual formations, those low model count & low activation quantity armies take a major hit to combat effectiveness every time the blast markers start stacking up or a Knight bites the dust (especially if both happen).

My plans for near-future gaming tests:
- Custodian formation sizes & effectiveness - (although I think the either/or MW/BP2 might have resolved the worst of this with a max cap of 4)
- Lancer shenanigans (time to paint up my latest shipment of proxies...)

- - - - -

On a totally unrelated note, I have mixed feelings about some of the alternative loadouts Forgeworld is starting to churn out. As for handling it, I suspect it might be worth it for now to do something similar to the EA Titan Legion List and/or the EA Tyranids Lists, i.e. get a solid list based on existing models brought to Approved status first, and then develop a variant list for the alternative loadouts, or playtest some of the alternatives in stages and bring them in slowly/eventually.

In particular I'm curious to see whether that one leaked loadout is a vulcan mega bolter (like whoa, Titan guns on a Knight...), or a "twin-linked avenger bolt cannon," a.k.a. a twin-linked half-vulcan (like how does that make sense?)...

My General Modelling Blog: http://armiger84.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

captPiett wrote:
Tiny-Tim wrote:

I'm pretty much in full agreement. I haven't encountered any problems with "bookkeeping" for a WE heavy army, nor have any of my opponents found it confusing. I honestly think it's more straightforward with DC2. A special rule has been eliminated and the number of EA has been reduced.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Battle report up: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=27479

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

G'day Gents,

Sorry i haven't added much to the discussion or play testing of late - too many 1st world problems :)

Anyhow I've still been tracking the changes and posts when I can. Thoughts as follows:

I think the army list options and structure are coming along very well, the toning down of the Castellans was probably needed, the one time I ran a big unit of them they dominated. Glad you've also kept the infantry and there additions like thudd guns etc, helps to keep the knight/peasants feel.

I'm happy with the changes to the knight shield, I think it will make for a more balanced result but could even go a step further and not be usable against hits in CC as well (similar to voids and translation of 40kism), except maybe on the lancer (see FW HH Book 3 where the lancer benfits from a CC shield save at the cost of a battle cannon..) that's probably a discussion for another day but losing the shield in CC links well with my idea on the shock/power lances below.

Lancers
- sorry still not feeling the love for these guys but I think we agree to disagree here. (thought scout was a good move and in theme)
- My concern here, again relates to how the shock/power lances are working and I bring this up based on happenings in number of games I had - was that the need to charge to make these weapons work at all, really hurt the knights when trying to support each other and when on the recieving end of a charge. This was something which could be done by cheap fast units regularly and it often gave them even footing against knights (due to loss of shield, no longer an issue and weapons systems) which felt wrong.
Given the engagements in Epic were supposed to represent the full range of actions that occur in a single 40k game, I think a both the shield and lance should be usable regardless of who initiated the engage action - after all the basic epic rules allow a counter charge to reflect that the defenders are also able to react in the time frame.

Therefore, like i suggested a while back with the shield (as i see you adopted thankyou), remove the need to engage and make them either in permanent effect or roll them into the standard CC/FF stats to improve those, so instead of having 3-4 attacks at 5+ on the charge and 2 on the defensive, you get 2 attacks at 4+ regardless of what triggered assault. Personal preference here would be to loose the shock lance for a better CC and keep the power lance as a EA+1 MW. In my mind I can't justify the power lance getting First strike FF as neither the weapon or the Lancer have a "surprise factor" to allow them to get the drop on people in a FF - Think why eldar wraith spiders get it. In CC there is more scope for First Strike due to reach and the discharge of the shocklance at point blank range but in general I don't think its appropriate.

I think the intended feel you want for the knights will still be achieved through the bravery rule, the penalties for receiving supporting fire from enemy units, being swamped by enemies in CC (if you implement the further change to the Shields) and the inherent advantages of being the one initiating the charge. This will still force knight players down a path of trying to assault where and when it's advantageous and trying to screen/shape with the cheaper scouts and infantry.

Anyhow, thanks for the update Dave, your work is appreciated. I'll hopefully get games in again during late June.