Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

[OLD] AMTL 3.23 (Approved)

Post subject: Re: AMTL 3.23 Approved
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have you considered doing what Epic-UK did with the Warhound Turbo Laser? - making two versions and a 'Scout Turbo Laser' with only 45cm range.

They reduced theWarhound Turbo Laser while boosting a couple of it's other weapon options (Plasma Blastgun with 3 MW2+ and VMB with 6 x 45cm AP3+/AP5+) leaving all the weapons fairly balanced in power against each other (needed since there aren't variable costs for the Epic-UK Warhounds, though they are more expensive at 300 or 550 initially).

I still maintain the Plasma Destructor is horribly overpowered at 6 shots and should be 90cm x 4 MW2+ shots instead. Two Plasma Destructors and 1-2 Laser Burners currently looks to be a winning combination for a Reaver or Warlord (can leg it forwards towards your clump of objectives in the opponents half while it's plasma is recharging).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

yay I'm off for a day let me see if I can respond now :)

@matt:
It doesn't look like a horrible list, actually kind of similar to others I've seen and used. Very light on air support though.
I think you'll find the blitz guard not being quite as effective as you hope. the CLP no longer grants indirect fire and it doesn't work at all on Hold, Marshall, or Overwatch actions so unless you have no terrain nearby, advancing troops will be able to hide or teleport in.

Dobbsy:

Quote:
Thing is, I'm not sure 250 points is all that high enough when you compare them to a FW formation. I use them as an example only because they share very similar base stats (8x of them, 5+ across the stats and 2+ initiative).

250 points is what the hypaspists are in the Skitarii list. I've used at least one unit of them every game I've played either dismounted as a garrison formation or mounted as a striker formation against Marines, IG, Necrons, and AMTL. I gave them the second Secutor stand because they really seemed a bit underwhelming for the 250 point price tag.

Eh. We're starting to get into a kind of sticky theoretical realm that I've had difficulty coming to terms with myself where similarly equipped units are costed differently in different lists. In the case of the hypaspists, the base for them was modified guardsmen. Better armor but oddly worse shooting since IG get the autocannons vs the HB. I think it stacks up fairly favorably next to a guard infantry formation of a similar cost. At least that's what my games have shown.

Looking at your firewarriors, I'd have to say they are underpriced. If I put them in the Skitarii list I'd probably start them closer to 275 or 300 like the Sagitarii due to the 2x shots per stand, one with AP4 and one with disrupt. I mean, seriously, you add a 50 point etherial and for 25 points more than my hypaspists you get an entirely fearless formation.

Again, this is just based on my reading the stats for the firewarriors in a vacuum so I don't know how they work with the list synergy and 225 might be perfectly appropriate for them in context.

Quote:
Secondly, why should the AMTL get a points subsidy for a lost hard point?

It's still a weapon used by the titan albeit not for killing titans.

The Skitarii still take a support slot in the list so you are losing both a weapon slot that weakens the titan by reducing the firepower it can put out and you are losing one of your support slots opened by taking the titan. In all honesty, the combination isn't that popular which I think should give some indicator as to how effective it is.

@glynn
Quote:
Have you considered doing what Epic-UK did with the Warhound Turbo Laser? - making two versions and a 'Scout Turbo Laser' with only 45cm range.

Briefly, but it's completely off the table because it's making up a weapon that doesn't exist in the 40k universe. That's something I won't do. As we stand right now, the only exception in the AdMech lists are the Forge Knights which ideally would be replaced with standard knights.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another thing could be to add restrictions and/or abilities to the above that changed the use of them.
in example:
-similar to the weapon surcharge could be the formation outfitting. as in you must have one of each weapon before you can outfit another scout titan with the same.
-consider the weapon slow firing when placed on a scout due to the smaller power plant

I'm not claiming they need it or don't need it or even those specific ideas. It's more to strike up conversation and ideas for people to chew on.

I think you're totally correct Vaaish in not inventing weapons whenever possible.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
I think you'll find the blitz guard not being quite as effective as you hope. the CLP no longer grants indirect fire and it doesn't work at all on Hold, Marshall, or Overwatch actions so unless you have no terrain nearby, advancing troops will be able to hide or teleport in.

Given no line of sight required is as effective on sustain, advance and double I'm not sure that no indirect makes much difference. Just advance 20cm or double up to 40cm and lob 90cm into the enemy deployment zone with a 6BP MW attack.

Vaaish wrote:
250 points is what the hypaspists are in the Skitarii list. I've used at least one unit of them every game I've played either dismounted as a garrison formation or mounted as a striker formation against Marines, IG, Necrons, and AMTL. I gave them the second Secutor stand because they really seemed a bit underwhelming for the 250 point price tag.

Eh. We're starting to get into a kind of sticky theoretical realm that I've had difficulty coming to terms with myself where similarly equipped units are costed differently in different lists. In the case of the hypaspists, the base for them was modified guardsmen. Better armor but oddly worse shooting since IG get the autocannons vs the HB. I think it stacks up fairly favorably next to a guard infantry formation of a similar cost. At least that's what my games have shown.

Looking at your firewarriors, I'd have to say they are underpriced. If I put them in the Skitarii list I'd probably start them closer to 275 or 300 like the Sagitarii due to the 2x shots per stand, one with AP4 and one with disrupt. I mean, seriously, you add a 50 point etherial and for 25 points more than my hypaspists you get an entirely fearless formation.

Again, this is just based on my reading the stats for the firewarriors in a vacuum so I don't know how they work with the list synergy and 225 might be perfectly appropriate for them in context.

Fair enough. Thanks for the sensible reply Vaaish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Here's a first draft (corrections welcome, it's an unusual list to assemble units from :))

This is a warhound list, but I've tried to make it a realistic, balanced list with an expensive Break the Spirit that can hold the Blitz but can still contribute massive damage vs hiding units. It has built in AA (AFAIK the upgrades are separate from the Weapon restriction) and a scout screen. Thunderbolts add some additional AA.
Next there's the midfield reaver with some assault ability and up to 12 MW2+ 75cm shots.
And finally, 4 of the souped-up Warhounds, one with 4 plasma because I think there's often a call for 2+ macro even in a list as armed as this one.

Reaver [875]
Legate Supreme Commander
Carapace Landing Pad, Quake Cannon (3BP Macro 90cm), Quake Cannon (3BP Macro 90cm)
Carapace Multilasers 2x AP5/AT6/AA5

Reaver [725]
Laser Burner (FF+2, CC+4)
Plasma Destructor, Plasma Destructor (12x MW2+ 75cm Slow)

Warhound [300]
2x Plasma Blastgun 2x Plasma Blastgun

Warhound [300]
2x Plasma Blastgun, Turbo-Laser Destructor

Warhound [300]

Warhound [300]

2 Thunderbolts [150]
4 Sentinels [100]

'So do you want me to try this list? I'm having a game against Steel Legion tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Here's a first draft (corrections welcome, it's an unusual list to assemble units from :))

Reaver [875]
Legate Supreme Commander
Carapace Landing Pad, Quake Cannon (3BP Macro 90cm), Quake Cannon (3BP Macro 90cm)
Carapace Multilasers 2x AP5/AT6/AA5

Reaver [725]
Laser Burner (FF+2, CC+4)
Plasma Destructor, Plasma Destructor (12x MW2+ 75cm Slow)

Warhound [300]
2x Plasma Blastgun 2x Plasma Blastgun

Warhound [300]

Warhound [300]

Warhound [300]

2 Thunderbolts [150]
4 Sentinels [100]

Isn't this 3050.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
Given no line of sight required is as effective on sustain, advance and double I'm not sure that no indirect makes much difference. Just advance 20cm or double up to 40cm and lob 90cm into the enemy deployment zone with a 6BP MW attack.

Traditionally the blitz guard sat on the blitz and used sustain to lob indirect templates 180cm. The current rules half that range and if you advance 20cm you aren't holding the blitz. It's a rather considerable difference seeing that you also don't get the +1 for sustain. Basically you've gone from dropping a 180cm AP3+/AT4+ template to a 90cm AP4+/AT5+ template. That's quite a downgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:04 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
Isn't this 3050.

No, it's 3k on the nose. He put the BTS reaver down wrong, it's 825 points.

Post subject: Re: [OLD] AMTL 3.23 (Approved)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've edited the price, it was just a typo so you do get all that for 3K

Quote:
So do you want me to try this list? I'm having a game against Steel Legion tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

Yes please, that would be great. That example is an extreme warhound list, rather than the nastiest thing the AMTL list can do.

If you're looking for something more punishing, this one fires 30 BP disrupt in turn 1, 30 BP Disrupt in turn 2, and a deathstrike. In fact I'll have to check how the missile and indirect rules interact - it might be able to fire up to 60 Blast points of Disrupt in turn one for a nice quick game :D

[] Reaver BTS
10 BP Disrupt Barrage Missile, 10 BP Disrupt Barrage Missile, DeathStrike

[] Reaver
10 BP Disrupt Barrage Missile, 10 BP Disrupt Barrage Missile, Laser Burner

[] Reaver
10 BP Disrupt Barrage Missile, 10 BP Disrupt Barrage Missile, Laser Burner

[] Warhound

[] Sentinels

[] Sentinels

[] Warhound

The Barrages are indirect and unlimited range, so there is no hiding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8