Login |  Register |  FAQ

What should happen with the Plasma Destructor?
No change 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
50 points, 5x MW2+, Slow firing 75cm 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
75 points, 6x MW2+, Slow firing 75cm 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Other, explain below. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

Plasma Destuctor Poll

Post subject: Plasma Destuctor Poll
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

After running the numbers, the Plasma Destructor is too expensive for what it brings to the table compared to the rest of the plasma family and other 75 point weapons options. I'd like to address that in one of two ways:

1. Reduce the cost to 50 points and add an additional shot. This brings the cost/capabilities increase between the PC and Destructor in line statistically with the relative increase between the PBG and PC.

2. Leave the destructor at 75 points and increase the number of shots by 2. This route makes the weapon more powerful in line with the premium point cost.

We'll run this poll for three days, at the end of that time I'll look over the results. If there's a write in option that's popular we'll do a run off between the winner of this poll and that option(s).

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Plasma Destuctor Poll
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

And it looks like option 3 has it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

75 for 5 or 6 x 2+ MW SF is overpowered and a bad idea! (a titan with 3-4 would be expensive but imagine throwing 24 MW attacks at an enemy BTS). Crucially a Plasma Destructor shouldn't be deadlier against most targets than an Imperator's Plasma Annihilator! (which has 4 x MW2+ (TKD3) SF.

I agree that's it's not that great at the moment but please just make it 4 x 75cm MW2+ SF for 50, that would be plenty! (and better to test a more moderate change rather than a huge jump in power).

Epic-UK overall boosted the power of their titan weapons a fair bit compared to the Net-EA titan list yet they stuck to 4 x 75cm MW2+ SF as being enough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Actually EUK have it as 90cm 4xMW3+

IMO that's conservative and a little weak compared to the plasma cannon

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Look at the cost involved to get those 24 (or 18 for the reaver) shots:

Warlord, 4x destructor, suecharge: 1050
Reaver, 3x destructor, surcharge: 825

That's a pretty sizable investment especially on a slow moving platform. Assuming you triple on the first turn you get to park yourself in the middle of the board, you fire once if the game goes the standard 3 turns. Unless you play with light terrain there should be a fair amount of ways to block LOS so you might not even be able to fire at an optimal target.

Quote:
Crucially a Plasma Destructor shouldn't be deadlier against most targets than an Imperator's Plasma Annihilator!

That's not true actually. Just because a weapon is bigger and more deadly doesn't mean it is more powerful in all circumstances. A .22 will kill you just as dead as a .50cal but that doesn't make the 50 less powerful. The annihilator is far more powerful with TK since due to the added damage against WE and the removal of RA saves entirely.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I didn't vote because I can't really judge if the weapon is OP or not; the only thing I am really worried about is the general ATML tendency to get more and more shots across the board. Following the development threat I noticed an increase in shots for several weapons, and I think this is going to come back and bite everyone in the arse.

E:A to me was never about shooting, decicive actions should always be assaults and/or clever positioning of units. The ATML IMO goes in a very 40K-ish direction, with the ability to blast everything that comes into view to pieces, and no more need to find a good spot to be, work together with your Titans or even assault stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I hear you. There's not going to be an across the board change to all weapons. The changes I've been working on are to bring some of the under performing weapons into line with the rest of the list. That's really just 4 weapons: CLP, Apoc launcher, Gatling Blaster, and Plasma Destructor.

The CLP needed to change because it was promoting a static style of play and allowed for across the board MW arty.

The Apoc launcher also needed a slight boost since it rarely does much that you wouldn't be better off with the Inferno or Quake. The change was less to give it more power than to give it a niche that the other two don't have.

The GB was underperforming. Practically any 25 point weapon was better than it did and most folks would rather take a TLD or VMB over it. The shot increase brings it in line.

The Plasma Destuctor just isn't worth 75 points. that's what this is meant to fix :)