Login |  Register |  FAQ

Testing AMTL: what do we need to get this done?

Post subject: Testing AMTL: what do we need to get this done?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I don't have a lot to offer to light a fire under testing the list, much less anything to offer a whole group. So, with AMTL ready to go, what do I need to do to beg battle reports out of everyone? :)

We don't need much but a few things to look for if you are feeling charitable:

1. Forge Knights. Too cheap?
2. Skitarii and corvus. Also too cheap?
3. Battle Titan plasma family. Good as is or does it need a slight boost?
4. CLP. Still useful under 3.22?

Lets get this tested!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Testing AMTL: what do we need to get this done?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll try and get a playtest in in the coming weeks.

When we talked about the list with 4 Corvuses and Skitiarii you thought the list should perhaps say that these Skitiarii must start in the Corvus, though there's nothing in the list that specifies this and, as far as I know, there never has been in this or any other list. Is that something you are planning to change and force to happen? I have mixed feelings about it, but would lean more towards costing them 150-175 instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:56 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well I think that making them start in the corvus is more fitting to the fluff, but I'd rather see a point increase than force them to start in the pod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Making the infantry a formation along with the titan, rather than a separate formation, could work well too. It works for Orkeosauruses.

This would be my favourite path to take, as it allows them to be taken without boosting the activation numbers problematically high.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:12 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Doesn't this open the door to unbreakable formations? An Imperator that takes two skitarii would be about 1500 points and would take something like 32 BM to break. And lets say someone really wanted to abuse it. A warlord with all pods would take 48 BM to break.

That seems rather excessive. I think the way to go is to specify that the infantry must start the game in the pods or increase the price... perhaps both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1st option. Start in the pods will be fine enough.

About testing (given that I do about 4-6 games in february)

Forge Knights: I hope to test them through february. I have them and I will take them.
Skitarii: Would test this. Recently I have glued some together, corvus has to be proxed...
Plasma: Maybe. Got only one plasma battle titan weapon. Never have taken it so far.
CLP: Definitly on the radar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
Doesn't this open the door to unbreakable formations? An Imperator that takes two skitarii would be about 1500 points and would take something like 32 BM to break. And lets say someone really wanted to abuse it. A warlord with all pods would take 48 BM to break.

That seems rather excessive. I think the way to go is to specify that the infantry must start the game in the pods or increase the price... perhaps both.

An Imperator counts as having a single Corvus so it couldn't take two. If it were to carry infantry inside it (even if they are a separate formation) they are included in the number of BMs needed to break it already.

I definitely suggest increasing the cost whatever option you go for as 250 discounted to 100 is to much, Skitiarii infantry are pretty good, particularly with the 4 Multi-Meltas. About 150 as would be good. So you could get a Warlord with 4 Corvus for 1350, but you'd give up the titans guns and a sensible number of activations. With the infantry inside it'd be vulnerable to TK killing them all, with the out it would be a slow formation with only 30cm range attacks from the infantry and vulnerability to being clipping assumed r and broken. I don't see it being worth taking more than 1-2 Corvus in this manner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, good point at the Imp. In fluff IIRC it has two companys inside his both legs. So it should have two corvus pods. This can be a good reason to bump it up to 1300 points or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:48 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks guys. It would be great if we could knock out the required play tests by the end of February. At this point, though, I'm not going to add any rules to the AMTL corvus pod.

What's on the table is price adjustments if we need to and possible tweaks to the plasma. I have a feeling the plasma is underperforming slightly compared to the other battle titan weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's another bigger issue with the Corvus anyway – it's transport capacity is completely unfeasible at the moment. The old corvus's were pretty small and if you were to take a truescale forge world style Reaver and convert a Corvus big enough to feasibly fit 50 troops in, plus some kind of boarding ramp, it would be huge and (when loaded) probably weigh twice the weight of the other weapons. The truescale Reaver would look lop-sided and I doubt it's joints would be built to handle the weight.

If the Corvus allows infantry to be added to the titan formation there is no need for it necessarily to be 10 like the Skitiarii Demi-Century and it could be done more sensibly. It would be good to keep the divisible of 5, so how about dropping the Corvus's transport capacity to 5 and adding 4 Skitiarii and 1 Sagitarii as a 0-1 upgrade per Corvus for +50-75 points or so? A Warlord with Corvus and infantry would need to 13 BM to break then, in the same ball park as the 18 to break an ork warband plus Orkeosaurus. The original Corvus transported 20 terminators I believe, so 8 capacity or roughly mid-way between the two and reasonable to round down rather than up.

Koshi wrote:
Ah, good point at the Imp. In fluff IIRC it has two companys inside his both legs. So it should have two corvus pods. This can be a good reason to bump it up to 1300 points or so.

It's not that much. In used to play Titan Legions when the Imperator came in and it could transport 18 stands, 6 in each leg and 6 in the towers. Looking at the model there doesn't seem to be any way for troops in the towers to get down to the legs and this would probably be a safety precaution incase it got boarded. So that would be 12 or so able to get on and off (the others could be ignored and assumed to be part of it's FF) or about right as it is now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That's simply not happening right now Glynn. I have little desire to mess with the capacity of the Corvus in AMTL to bother with a change that will screw over Skitarii transport options.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

At this point, from AMTL 3.18 to present we have this:

Speaker to Machines: 6 reports

Mordoten: 2 reports

Bristol Warmer: 5 reports 3.22

Koshi: 3 reports 3.22

Glyn: 1 report 3.22

So at this point, can we get one more report from the Bristol crew, three more from Koshi's group, and more from Glyn and Mordoten? That would have us covered with just 3.22 and well covered from 3.18 to present.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd love to get a test game with Koshi's ATML vs. my Tyranids. I want to see how ATML does against a horde army that has virtually no shooting capability (at least the way I play it). Might take a few weeks though :(