Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hive Fleet Leviathan v2.1

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Leviathan v2.1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those are excellent, Desertdaddy. As a fan of PP's Warmachine/Hordes card designs I find stuff like this very useful for learning the game (and I like the look of the variant Tyranid lists at the moment).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a quick clarification.
1) There are no restrictions on formations claiming objectives (like Lictors, Meiotic Spores or synapseless swarms).
2) The Dominatrix has dropped from 8DC to 6DC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Arkturas: Correct in all respects.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just posted an AAR in the battle report section of the forum. It was 2500 points of Hive Fleet Leviathan vs Blood Ravens Space Marines. I wanted to tryout the spawning queue and see how this list played. The first thing I noticed was the lack of “old school” tyranid vehicles like the Exocrine, Dactylis and Haruspex but this is compensated by the multiple types of carnifex and cheap war engines. Lacking models for the Tyronofex, Tervigon and Malanthrope I used Hierodules in the big swarms in place of the “old school” vehicles. My army fielded more war engines than any other list I’ve played so far. The spawning queue worked out fine and was easy to use and most importantly it was impartial as to what got spawned when. It did not flood the table with spawns like the dice-rolling version could. It did feel “gamey” when I used it on the Brood Nest because I knew it would get spawns later in the game and therefore be able to control 2 objectives. Maybe that’s just part of playing a tyranid list; you know you WILL get spawns so plan accordingly. It also helped when my Harridan crashed and burned leaving just the grounded Raveners to go on and take and hold an objective. Can units outside of synaptic control hold objectives? I didn’t see it mentioned, so we allowed it because they were an unbroken unit at the time. The other thing I noticed about spawning was that war engines did not have a way to regenerate with the queue. With a list that has so many available war engines choices, lack of regeneration seems overlooked. Is this because in 5th edition regeneration was removed? (I don’t play 5th so I don’t know) but in the older books and Hive War; regeneration was present in war engines.

The last thing is spawning order; we went smallest to largest as written in the list. It wasn’t too hard to determine which swarm was smaller than the others and it didn’t add any time to spawning. I do believe spawning order is important because in the beginning spawns may be limited and running out will cause some swarms not get any. Smallest to largest worked out very well for me in this last game but it didn’t feel very true to the “fluff.”
My understanding of the hive mind fluff (I’m not an expert but I’ve followed tyranids for a while) is that the more tyranid organisms you have together the greater the footprint of the hive mind. Almost like a mob mentality, the synaptic nodes control and direct it while lesser organisms will get caught up in “the mob” and be pulled along with it. Therefore it would seem better if the largest swarms got to spawn first because they’re exerting greater force to control more organisms and creating more draw. Swarm size is dynamic during the course of the game. Locking spawning to the order on your roster does not take this into account. If I’m wrong on this please let me know.