Login |  Register |  FAQ

EpiComp 2014 discussion

Post subject: Re: EpiComp 2014 discussion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Parintachin wrote:
Of course; if it's the sponsors who want separate categories, well that's what they should have (o:

True. And if this is the case then I can understand why it is set as it is. Though i would imagine manufacturers would be giving their prizes to painted examples of their own minis (!? :-) ) so there is still opportunity for promotion and incentive for entrants to buy in order to enter.

As for photos of GW alongside other manufacturers - I have seen this come up, but only in specific promotion shots (ie. buy our bases - look gw minis fit exactly on them.) Post chapterhouse I would imagine the danger is diminished, but by a c&d is basically free so they may still try it. However in this case the images are not made by manufacturers, aren't specifically for sales and half the painting blogs / batreps on here already show gw minis used alongside others...

Still, it's Dave/CS's call. Perhaps something to mull over for next year? Looking forward to entering again this time !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't see why there can't be separate categories for the different manufacturers, while the main categories allow models from any manufacturer to be used. Where appropriate a photo could be entered into two categories; a troublemaker tank in the single model and troublemaker categories say.

That would give individual manufactures just as much exposure/interest from having their own categories, but infact more so as their models would now also be allowed in the main categories as well. I can't really see any downsides with this?

Plenty of people mix models from different manufacturers in their units and forcing these to the open category seems unnecessary and unfortunate (as there'll likely be a lot of competition there).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
I don't see why there can't be separate categories for the different manufacturers, while the main categories allow models from any manufacturer to be used. Where appropriate a photo could be entered into two categories; a troublemaker tank in the single model and troublemaker categories say.

That would give individual manufactures just as much exposure/interest from having their own categories, but infact more so as their models would now also be allowed in the main categories as well. I can't really see any downsides with this?

Plenty of people mix models from different manufacturers in their units and forcing these to the open category seems unnecessary and unfortunate (as there'll likely be a lot of competition there).

I think this makes a lot of sense in a post-GW Epic world. "Epic" categories for battle groups, models, and war engines (regardless of manufacturer), because most of us will pick and mix. For the manufacturers that are active and supporting, "manufacturer" categories are co-existing. This should up the number of participants, and give all manufacturers (dormant and live) more exposure.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

My only concern with allowing all manufacturers in the "Best" categories would be that it would water down the entires for the DRM, EW, MWG, OM categories (something we have always struggled to keep numbers up in).

Any objections to allowing mixed manfacturers in the "Best" categories, while all manfacturer pure entries going to the appropriate manufacturer category? I'll talk to each of the four owners and get their thoughts.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

OK, heard back from Doug, Tom, Steve and Deacon. Mixed manufacturers will be all in the "Best" categories. If an entry is pure DRM/EW/MWG/OM it will go into the appropriate manufacturer category.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get some stuff finished for this, and have a few questions. Hope its ok to add them here, and I did read the thread and the rules to make sure I'm not asking anything too stupid (don't hold me to that ;) )

1: Formation/battle force - Do these need to be game legal and if so under what epic system? I want to enter a set of minis, but they may or may not make a full "standard" E:A army choice, is that ok? I appreciate you have stated 3+ stands/vehicles is that the only baseline, or should it be 3+ stands/vehicles that make a fully game legal choice in the standard E:A rules? I know you are trying to push people to paint more, not less, which is totally understandable and to be encouraged, and I am cetainly not looking to "game" an advantage. I just need to make sure that what I paint meets the criteria.

2. If I mix a few of, say Troublemakers Orks in to what is mostly a GW ork infantry mob, how does that effect where I should submit to? I understand the discussion above is debating exactly that question, but am not fully sure I understand how it all shook out in the end.

3. How do you decided what goes in to what for the heats? I appreciate its a little harder to organise a public voted poll if everything is in one category, but I am interested to understand how things are seeded.

Anyway, I have some cool ideas in mind, but before I fully commit I wanted to ask :)

Cheers
Jon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Doesn't have to be legal, just has to meet the required number of units.

Mixed goes into the "Best" categories.

The order they come in.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mint, many thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry, I have another question, which is probably a silly one but...

For the conversion category do we have to paint the model too? I am hoping to have a conversion done, simply so that I can enter a category, but I was hoping to enter just on the strength of the conversion and not my painting.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Everything is entered into the conversion comp. I don't think we've ever had an unpainted entry though, usually because it's not going to win in the category it's been entered into. However, nothing in the rules says things have to be painted, only "completed" in the last year. So go for it, if you like.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't worry, the only prize I'm expecting is a sticker that says "I participated!!" in comic sans.

I'm just trying to get myself to stick to some kind of deadline, and since I've been so busy with work I don't know if I'll get anything done except the building of the model.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments