Login |  Register |  FAQ

Should EpiComp submissions have prizes?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
No 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Don't Care 56%  56%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 34

EpiComp 2011 Prizes or Not?

Post subject: EpiComp 2011 Prizes or Not?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Last one that I'm curious about, do you guys want prizes or not? Would prizes affect whether or not you want anonymous submission or not?

Disclaimer: Just because the community wants prizes doesn't mean that there will be prizes. That depends on the generosity of the community. :P

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: EpiComp 2011 Prizes or Not?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With GothiComp I have discovered that people will participate regardless of prizes but I managed to collect 3 prizes every year. I already have a prize donation standing for 2012.
But GothiComp has 3 categories. You are aiming for a lot more => difficult.

But I thinkk everyone will be happy if his or her model appeared on a website in a cool gallery as winner.

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19176

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:39 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

While I accept the benefits of prizes - legitimises the competition further, encourages more entries, increases visibility - there are a few negative points. It has lead to people being more determined to win in the past (getting others to vote for them, sometimes signing up only for this reason. In fact, in the past, I have disabled registration in the last two weeks of voting of EpiComp for this reason). My personal opinion is that we should decide on categories first, and then see if we can get prizes. Also, there is no reason that some categories cant have prizes while others do. But, I dont really want to see prize support dictate categories.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love both epicomp and gothicomp. I have been somewhat successful in both, and I have to say without these competitions I would not have the incentive to paint (its hard to find the time now that I'm a dad). As such, I was saddened to read the preceding post by CS. I cannot believe people would stoop to this level in a competition that is supposed to be just for fun. And trust me, I'm ULTRACOMPETITIVE! (I play hockey). But what's the point of winning if you haven't deserved it? I was going to vote for "i dont care" (because really I don't), but hearing this, I strongly suggest now to go for no prizes. If you are entering the competition as a quick means to a free end (a prize), this competition should not be for you.
Instead of prizes, might I suggest some other type of "glory": Horizon (aka blackhorizon) has done a nice job of creating a gothicomp hall of fame. This, IMO, is a good prize in itself. Perhaps a epicomp hall of fame could also be created.
CF