Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

DOMINION

Post subject: Re: DOMINION
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dudes back on topic, any questions please ask away.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see, what is the recommended size playing area?

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi ForgottenLore 6ft by 4ft or you can play on a 4ft by 4ft

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rules question you say? Suppression/pinning - how does that work?

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I said questions ;)damn need to be more specific ;D

Without letting to much out of the bag, currently the amount of damage a Century receives is compared to the Century Morale (combined Damage value of the Century) if the amount of damage is greater or equal to the morale the Century is Suppressed. There are ways to recover damage to the Century and remove the condition the unit. Suppression has a few detrimental effects. but that is all I can say at the moment buddy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds good.

Make me happy and say there is a hidden order system like Spacemarine? The order phase always gave me that sense of grand strategy planning. It was the biggest loss imho going into 3rd and 4th ed.

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

SquiggleAmp wrote:
if the amount of damage is greater or equal to half the morale the Century is Suppressed.

Cough - Half - Cough

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Sounds good.

Make me happy and say there is a hidden order system like Spacemarine? The order phase always gave me that sense of grand strategy planning. It was the biggest loss imho going into 3rd and 4th ed.

Blip and I agree on stuff? HELP! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I very, very, very much like the hidden orders in SM2 games. It would most definitely help knock down the activation advantage somewhat, always is a lot of fun and brings some superb risk-reward planning to games.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The order system is based on a random dice draw system - you don't know which side is going to get the next activation (only at best a probable chance), and you don't know when the turn is going to end (so you can't reliably leave your most powerful formations until last each turn as is SOP in Epic:A).

Activations are limited to a maximum of 4 per 100 points in the initial rule set, which means there's a top cap on how much of an activation advantage is achievable - if both players decide to min/max to the max extent, they'll both have 12 activations.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What he said ^

This system works so far, it adds a strategic management element to the game an a little suspense. You will look to prioritise your Centuries, does one need to get in cover to recover or do you need to get rid of a Century close to death. Choices, choices.

Yes sorry Tim that is half of the morale, typing too fast :sos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
and you don't know when the turn is going to end

I'd love to hear more details about how this is implemented. Are there a certain number of activations that will happen before the chance to end turn comes into play? With horrible luck could you end with absolutely no moves in your turn whatsoever? How many times during testing have you been left with units swinging in the breeze? What's the chance per round? Does it change? Questions, questions, questions!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I'd love to hear more details about how this is implemented. Are there a certain number of activations that will happen before the chance to end turn comes into play? With horrible luck could you end with absolutely no moves in your turn whatsoever? How many times during testing have you been left with units swinging in the breeze? What's the chance per round? Does it change? Questions, questions, questions!

You put a dice into a bag for each player's activations.

So if I have 10 formations, and my opponent has 9 formations, I put in 10 red dice and my opponent puts in 9 white dice.

You also put in one black dice.

To play a turn, you start drawing dice.
If we draw a red dice, I get an activation, if we draw a white dice, my opponent gets and activation.
If we draw the black dice, the turn immediately ends.

With astonishingly bad luck your opponent could get five activations and then pull the black dice, but we haven't had anything like that happen in practice. Sometimes we've pulled the black dice in the first 2/3 activations, but that can actually be a benefit under certain circumstances, but most of the time the black dice comes out after quite a lot of activations have been undertaken, which is what you'd statistically expect.

At the end of the turn, you count up how many formations are remaining, and you put the appropriate number of dice back in the bag. So, if you lost two formations, next turn you'll have two less dice in the bag.

Due to the way the probabilities shift as dice get removed, if one player gets a run of 3/4 activations in a row at the start of the turn, the other player is more likely to get a run of activations toward the end of the turn, which can be quite useful as already-activated formations don't have the ability to shed damage before causalities are removed in the end phase.

Unlike in Epic:A where you generally want to target un-activated formations as much as possible, there are clear benefits to attacking both un-activated and activated formations - un-activated formations might take damage and be forced to regroup when their turn comes, but already activated formations won't get the chance to shed damage before casualty removal so putting extra damage onto them is really beneficial.

You also can't hold back your most powerful units until the end of the turn like in Epic:A, as you'll rarely get 100% of your dice out of the bag, but on the other hand activating them too early in the turn can leave them vulnerable to lots of counter-attack fire. So it becomes quite interesting as to when to take the risk to put your most powerful formations in harm's way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doomkitten wrote:
Blip and I agree on stuff? HELP! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Ha! I generally think we agree on loads of things! We even agree that 75% of GWs “new stuff” since 1995 is crap. I just think they have 25% of good stuff too. :-)

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Activation system sound good. Has echos of Too Fat Lardies (which is a very good thing).

So when you pull a die do you roll activation similar to EA?

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No rolling,you select one of six orders for your century to carry out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next