Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Army List: Space Marines

Post subject: Re: Army List: Space Marines
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Yes, all "Chapter" lists, i.e those that have extra rules, formations and restrictions are Codex and are subject to the 75/25% restrictions rather than the 50/50%.

What it mentions in the army list is:

"Many of the Chapters have changed over the millennia, developing new units and tactics to suit themselves. Each of these is considered a separate Codex Army, consisting of that Chapter’s units in addition to the Standard ones. If you want to play a unique Chapter you must put 75% of your points into their troops (from their Codex List and the Standard Adeptus Astartes List) and you may put up to 25% into any one Standard List other than Chaos.
As a note, when you purchase units from the Standard List you may define them as either part of the Codex Chapter you’ve chosen, or as any other Chapter. In this way it is possible to field more than one Chapter, but you may never use more than one unique Chapter list and special rules."

To me this means that if I want to play with all the extra cool stuff related to a specific chapter then I am forced to take 75% minimum.

And:

"Note: Only the Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves Chapters have been through years of playtesting. All other Chapters should be considered optional and require the approval of your opponent."

So what this means is that the BA, DA and SW are sort of balanced, whereas most of the others have issues.

But, my point from my previous post, just because I choose to field my marines as a specific chapter, doesn't mean I am forced to use their rules. Just because there are rules for Blood Angels, doesn't mean you have to use them. I can choose to either field them as the Codex list with all the extra rules, formations and restrictions and the 75/25 split, or I can field them following the standard marine list and only have access to the basic formations but with a 50/50 split.

Matt

Hi Matt, I missed the 'note' part. My mistake :{[] But I agree, it is better to be able to select either codex
specific or standard lists for the marine chapters.

Cheers
Paul

Can be found on:
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Battlescenedesigns
http://www.battlescenedesigns.co.uk

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Question about the Teleport Special Formation.

The formation entry specifies that it can only be used for "one Infantry Detachment". Does that replace the Rhino transports or does it Teleport them as well? I've looked at the entry for Teleport in the Movement Modes section of the Core Rules and it does not specify. Can anyone clarify this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Question about the Teleport Special Formation.

The formation entry specifies that it can only be used for "one Infantry Detachment". Does that replace the Rhino transports or does it Teleport them as well? I've looked at the entry for Teleport in the Movement Modes section of the Core Rules and it does not specify. Can anyone clarify this?

Hi!

My understanding is that it replaces the transports (rhinos), thus only the infantry stands are transported.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to further complicate transports slightly, it seems awkward to me that the single command stand of say, a battle company, needs his own Thunderhawk, could there be a special rule about commanders being able to hitch a ride with the troops? I intend to house rule it this way anyway as 3 gigantic thunderhawks is more than enough for me (and my budget).

On a personal level I also don't think terminators ought to move to groups of 6 stands, I think this would be quite chaotic for people that have existing armies and it would make them appear more like regular troops than elites.

I would like to see Bike and Terminator companies become a bit more flexible, perhaps a bike company could allow you to upgrade a detachment to attack bikes, and terminator to assault terminators. It might be worth considering allowing a bike company to upgrade to landspeeders too (a mobile company). The inclusion of a light armour company would also be quite cool - predators, vindicators, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Just to further complicate transports slightly, it seems awkward to me that the single command stand of say, a battle company, needs his own Thunderhawk, could there be a special rule about commanders being able to hitch a ride with the troops? I intend to house rule it this way anyway as 3 gigantic thunderhawks is more than enough for me (and my budget).

On a personal level I also don't think terminators ought to move to groups of 6 stands, I think this would be quite chaotic for people that have existing armies and it would make them appear more like regular troops than elites.

I would like to see Bike and Terminator companies become a bit more flexible, perhaps a bike company could allow you to upgrade a detachment to attack bikes, and terminator to assault terminators. It might be worth considering allowing a bike company to upgrade to landspeeders too (a mobile company). The inclusion of a light armour company would also be quite cool - predators, vindicators, etc.

Hi!

Most if not all of what your looking for will be in Platinum.

Besides the balance a properly down points formula, the introduction of much more fluid formations will be the key features of Platinum.

I agree that a lot of the old formations were not optimal and the addition of units later (like flier transports) made it worse.

I've only seen a little of what Mattman has proposed for SM formations, but it certainly seems in line with what you have mentioned.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I've seen the proposed formations, looking great. I just wanted to suggest that terminators and particularly bikes get more flexibility, it always seemed to be like a bike company was just too many bikes for one army. And some sort of armour formation that isn't centered around land raiders would be good.

Is there a chance that lone command stands could be carried by large transports then? Thunderhawks are probably the main place this occurs I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Yeah I've seen the proposed formations, looking great. I just wanted to suggest that terminators and particularly bikes get more flexibility, it always seemed to be like a bike company was just too many bikes for one army. And some sort of armour formation that isn't centered around land raiders would be good.

Is there a chance that lone command stands could be carried by large transports then? Thunderhawks are probably the main place this occurs I think.

Hi!

While costs and formations will be the big thing, but there is a whole slew of things to tackle, including what transports can carry and what will constitute formations.

When the time comes we'll need to have quite and few discussions to sort all of this out. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is it too early to be making suggestions for platinum then? I was mainly discussing things already brought up in this thread.

Are people generally using 4 thunderhawks to transport a battle company in Gold? With just a lone command stand in one?

Another random issue - isn't the Blood Angel death company proportionally worse the more elite your other infantry is? If you take a lot of terminators it seems like a death company is actually a negative.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Is it too early to be making suggestions for platinum then? I was mainly discussing things already brought up in this thread.

Are people generally using 4 thunderhawks to transport a battle company in Gold? With just a lone command stand in one?

Another random issue - isn't the Blood Angel death company proportionally worse the more elite your other infantry is? If you take a lot of terminators it seems like a death company is actually a negative.

Hi!

Actually no, it's not too early. :)

I would suggest to post any suggestions to the appropriate army list thread so they can be "on record" for the moment we start in earnest. :)

I have always played that the command unit takes a "free ride" on one of the THREE thunderhawks used for the rest of the company. I have never used nor required an opponent get a 4th one just for the HQ.

You raise a good point that this is not mentioned or clarified though.

The blood angel death company is another good catch. I usually only make the roll for powered armored troops, not terminators. But I agree, as constituted it may not be as good as it needs to be. Another one for the discussions later on. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Isn't this the correct army list thread? I'm glad to see about the free ride house rule, I wonder if maybe thunderhawks carrying 7 stands would work as a more formal rule, or if this situation occurs with many other large transports.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Isn't this the correct army list thread? I'm glad to see about the free ride house rule, I wonder if maybe thunderhawks carrying 7 stands would work as a more formal rule, or if this situation occurs with many other large transports.

Hi!

I would make a new thread in the alternate rule section for now.

At some point I will create a subforum for Platinum.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:

Commanders and thunderhawks is an interesting one as the command stand is meant to represent a squad of 5-10 marines, not just a lone man, if we say they can jump in a hawk with another detachment, then you could be squeezing 40 men in, and they aren't supposed to carry more than 30. Though in the marine codex, they now have access to the Stormraven, which is basically a flying rhino, so I would expect the command squad to load up in one of them, while the rest of company pile into hawks and storm eagles. That is likely how I am going to set up the transport options on the companies.

I think terminators are going to stay in detachments of 4, but veterans will be making the change from 6 to 4 strong detachments to match them since they are all meant to come from the same company structure.

Bike companies weren't in 2nd ed, so they are new to NetEpic, I will be adjusting them to have as mix of detachments like the eldar jet bike hosts. Rather than having attack bikes as separate detachments, there is an argument for adding them to a regular bike detachment, it is what they do in EA and 40k.

Companies of predators and vindicators have been discussed and will be appearing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another question about Thunderhawks - I feel their stats more accurately represent the original tiny thunderbricks than the newer models, especially the FW version which looks like it ought to be at least as armoured as a land raider. I'm sure this situation occurs with some other models that have scaled up somewhat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The older ones were to small. If anything the newer ones look large enough to carry what we always thought they could. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah definitely, and yet they only get a 4+ save - same as a rhino which makes them quite fragile. The SG version actually just about meets the size guide for superheavy: "Single models between 40-60 mm long 20-30 mm wide, with no base" while the FW model far exceeds it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next