Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tunnelers Question

Post subject: Tunnelers Question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello,

I am becoming quite fond in tunnerles! They are very "Squat" and I like the possibility to "pop up" in the middle of the field whenever I like (Well.. five times every six at least!)

I have a couple of questions..
1) What happnes if the exit point scatters out of the table? Are the Tunnelers assumed to be destroyed following the standard rules for models wandering off table, or do you apply a rule similar to the failed 2+ roll to surface?
2) When a Tiunneler surfaces it can be placed anywhere within 6cm of the surface point. Can the Tunneler be placed in H2H? I would say yes.. but since the Tunneler does not have an order (Nothing in the rules states that the surfacing Tunneler transports have to be given orders in order to surface) and therefore has no Charge order technically cannot enter H2H

Have a nice time playing Epic!!!!

"The truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination"
-Elim Garak
---
Net Epic Gold Games 2021-22 W-D-L
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tunnelers Question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've never used tunnelers I have to admit, been thinking about it, but I always thought that scatter rule makes it just a bit too unpredictable.

But from how I interpret the rules I would say:
1) Reading it literally, yes, troops would be destroyed since they are off table. BUT, with that said, that just sounds too harsh and maybe something that was overlooked in the rules. I would probably, with my opponents approval :) Implement a house rule stating they would appear at the point where the table stops, and go with that.

2) On this one I would say no, if what you meant was, can the Tunneler itself engage an enemy stand in CC that is inside that area where the tunneler ends up (after scatter). This because the tunneler rule says that: "A tunneler may fire its weapons in the Advance Fire Segment on the turn it surfaces."
Too me that indicates someone has thought about what it should be able to do once it surfaces, and that is basically only that it can fire in the advance phase.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a fellow Squat player, I've interpreted a tunneler scattering off of the table as being defeated (counts as destroyed for VP purposes). The same limitation applies to Marine Drop Pods, Tyranid Spores, and so on, so it should apply to Squats as well to maintain balance. That said, if you do use a house rule that changes that, it should also apply to Marines, Tyranids, and any other in-game thing that could scatter off the board.

I agree with Fangface on the second point. If a tunneler was allowed to enter CC on emerging, it would say so, but it doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well thank you all! ;D

"The truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination"
-Elim Garak
---
Net Epic Gold Games 2021-22 W-D-L
Squat 8-0-3