Login |  Register |  FAQ

Command Ability on model in Detachment

Post subject: Command Ability on model in Detachment
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When one stand/unit in a detachment has the command ability, how should you play the activation/-s for the detachment? For example the Guild Bike Detachment that consists of 7 Bikes and 1 Guildmaster (with the Command ability).
Since a command unit according to the rule, doesn't need any order. Can I first activate the Guild Master and move double movement, and then in a second activation, activate the rest of the bikes?

If I compare with an Ork Clan and it's Nobz and Boyz it feels more natural since all Nobz are it's own Mob and all Nobz have the command rule. But comparing with a Guild Bike/Trike squadron, the Guildmaster is one model that is part of the detachment. Then again, what good would the command ability be for a Guildmaster if it had to follow the Bikes activation and couldn't move double movement and fire in the FF phase?

I'm obviously asking since I want to maximize the number of activations, but I don't want to break any rules :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Command Ability on model in Detachment
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there.
We decided to apply the optional limited rule allowing Command units to fire in FF only if they moved less than their move value and so on.

Optional Command Rule
Many players feel that Command units are overvalued and have slightly restricted their abilities. Command units may either A) move on Charge Orders and fire in the Advance Fire Segment, or B) move on Advance Orders and fire in the First Fire Segment.

This said.. I activate the bikes detachements (I play Squat too) together with the Guildmaster. If the Guildmaster moves more that his Movement allowance I place an Advance Order near him to remember that he can shoot in the Advance Fire Segment, if he moved less I do the same with a red First Fire order, and I activate him to fire either alone or with the other models in the detachement (in case they can fire). Clearly iif the Guildmaster charges into H2H he willl not fire

"The truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination"
-Elim Garak
---
Net Epic Gold Games 2021-22 W-D-L
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Sorry for the delay in responding.)

As far as I am aware, the entire detachment would activate (for movement) at the same time and would have to maintain coherency (not part of your question, but is relevant). The Command model(s) could act as they wanted, so long as they maintain coherency by the end of their move. The non-Command models would of course be limited by their orders.

That said, it is reasonable to say that they could be activated separately for shooting, say if the rest of the models have Advance orders.

There have been a few similar questions asked and answered on this topic. At the least, there was one about the Eldar Wave Serpent a while back, and it has similar restrictions, despite not being Command.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

sorry for my late response also, guess summer got in the way :)

So I interpret that as "activation wise", you don't gain any advantage. You would activate and move the 7 bikes AND the guild master in ONE activation. In the combat phase later, the guild master could potentially fire in the FF phase and later the rest of the bikes in the Advance phase. If they had an Advance order obviously :)