Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tau: Gold vs 5.0

Post subject: Tau: Gold vs 5.0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does anyone know if there are plans to 'merge' the two different Tau NetEpic lists? The 5.0 and Gold Tau lists have more than a few differences. It's a bit confusing, since as I understood it, 5.0 was supposed to basically be 'printer friendly' versions of Gold. I was just wondering if there was any reason for this, and/or if there were any plans to finalize or merge the two sets.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tau: Gold vs 5.0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wasn't aware there were any differences. I'll have to look into that.

My understanding was that 5.0 was an earlier version and Gold came later with revisions and changes. Not many, but a few, as well as having fancier artwork and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 5.0 and Gold Tau lists have quite a few major differences. 5.0 has the 'Vector'; a knight that you can kit out with different weapon configurations. 5.0 also had a Defensive Fire rule tjhat let Tau units on FF reroll misses against enemies that were charging them. 5.0 also only had a single Praetorian, while Gold had two. Those were the big differences I can remember off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello,

we don't mix 5.0 with Gold.
I always considered them to be two different versions of the game.

"The truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination"
-Elim Garak
---
Net Epic Gold Games 2021-22 W-D-L
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm confused now. I'd thought that 5.0 was basically just the printer friendly version of Gold, from what it says on the web site.

"Army books for both NetEpic Gold and NetEpic 5.0 are listed below. Both versions contain the same material, but the NetEpic Gold books feature a lavish graphic design produced by Christian Salling (aka “Warmaster Nice”), while the NetEpic 5.0 books have a simpler design better suited to home printing."

From what I've seen for most factions, the two versions are pretty much identical, with the Tau ones being the big exception. I've been tempted to attempt to merge the two, but wasn't sure if it had already been done. That said, I've also been tempted to try reverse engineering some of the Adeptus Mechanicus/Skitarii stuff that was done for the newer NEA back into the classic NetEpic since I prefer the classic NE ruleset over the NEA one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As you have noticed, yes Gold and 5.0 are *mostly* but not completely identical. My guess is that the bit on the website was written by someone (IE, not me) who wasn't aware of the differences in the Tau 5.0 book, or just forgot. It happens.

Despite being mostly identical, Gold is the newer version than 5.0 and is the "official" NetEpic version. Thus anything in a 5.0 book that contradicts Gold is incorrect and should be ignored. That said, if your opponent is fine with you using those rules, then go for it.

If there are models you want to add to your personal armies that don't have current, "official" NetEpic Gold stats, use the Points Formula to build them. That is a large part of what it is for. Then look at models with the same or similar PF values and look at their Gold values to determine a fair cost. If you aren't comfortable poking at the formula yourself, feel free to post your intended NetEpic Gold stats in a thread in this forum and I'll likely get around to converting them at some point.