Login |  Register |  FAQ

The future of Incoming

Post subject: The future of Incoming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:15 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

An interesting debate, and I very much appreciate Dougs dilema with this. Perhaps it would help if I describe the 'Warp Rift pyramid management structure' for those which are unaware of it. The magazine has five sections (general articles, new rules, painting and converting, fiction and battle reports/scenrios). Each of these sections has an individual editor - giving four editors and myself, who also compiles the various bits.

This does have a lot of advantages, and I do recommend it as a system. Firstly, we have back-up editors if things go wrong. So, if a particular editor has problems one month, we have another four ready to step up. Also, if any one section is a bit light that issue, we simply drop it for one issue, and the general quality of the mag doesnt suffer so much.

There are a number of tricks with this system. I would say that the most important thing is who you get as the section editors. For example, our new rules editor is Ray (occassionally on these boards as 'raysokuk'). He is excellent with new rules, and has been compiling them for years, including being instrumental in the generation of the Tau rules for Gothic, having them playtested and contributing way before anyone else got hold of them. This means that he has a stash of a lot of rules ready to go, and he can theme them. In addition, our general articles editor is Chris, and I am sure that he wont mind if I descibe him as an occassional player, but he is extremely dedicated to the game and has a background of history and is interested in it. I guess that I am trying to say that the individual roles are important, and that they should play to the strengths. This system also means that each issue is automatically balanced in terms of the articles.

Secondly, we have quite an advanced schedule, for example this weekend I am collecting submissions from the editors for issue six due in January. This allows a lot of panic time (although I continually produce the finished version late, but that is completely my fault!).

Thirdly, we have an excellent network and a strong contributors base. Nate is well known to the Gothic community being on the rules review and he is a strong supporter of the publication (I have even heard that Fanatic dont object to the idea!). In addition, the community has put together a few graphics for the publication, and the front cover and title graphics as well.

It sounds like Incoming would do well to 'hibernate' for a couple of months. A gap in production would allow the publication to build reserves and sort out whatever problems currently exist. I also think that it should stay Epic focussed. I honestly dont think that broadening the scope will solve the problems. There should be a strong enough base to support the publication in the Epic community, and people appreciate the focus.

I would say that there are a number of stages to setting up a system similar to Warp Rift:

Decide on the sections. You want about four to seven - enough to provide a range of interesting, but which themselves provide scope for adapting the content each time (for example our painting section sometimes displays examples of people minis, and sometimes has articles on how to convert and build).

Get a sub-editor for each of the sections. Be careful, there is a temptation here to say that 'I will do three sections'. Each person should only do one, except that possibly the main editor could do one as well. Also, these section editors dont need to be necessarily well-versed in the game, but when the excrement hits the air-conditioning, they need to make up the material!

Put out a general shout for graphics. I compiled a library of graphics. Once you have enough for one and a half issues, then that is really all that you need. More is good, but as long as each picture is not repreated in each mag, then things are good.

Then, set a timetable and go.

This type of project is never easy, and some issues are really hell to get done my the deadline. No-one should take this post without thinking, and I have been extrememly lucky with my section editors.

And, of course, while I dont have the time to section edit no matter how much I would like to, feel free to let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sad to see you leave, Doug.

I think that making Incoming mostly Epic and adding up to one article per issue on other games set in 40k universe is enough.

Realm of the Horseman ? ?The mirror site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (the_fifth_horseman @ 09 2004 Dec.,10:10)
I think that making Incoming mostly Epic and adding up to one article per issue on other games set in 40k universe is enough.

I would tend to agree, and even then possibly with the cross ref Epic sort of slant, ie Minis can also de used for DS11 gaming articles/battle reps.

I think I could possibly add an article here and there to bolster the library but editing would be too much at present.

Many thanks to Doug for his stirling efforts and thanks too to the new Editor/team hopefully stepping forward (you know you want to  :;): )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been thinking a bit about it overnight. It is pretty much what CS talked about for Warp Rift.

1: We set up an editorial staff.
The staff should contain 1 chief editor whose role is to choose which articles goes into each issue and where. It is possible that he should also be in charge of proof reading. INder all accounts the Chief Edditor should be prepared to write up a header of some sorts for each issue.

Also needed is a graphics designer who does stuff like setting up the issue, making the front page and generally make things look nice. I'd like to voulenteer for this job if no one else is interested as it, for me, would be an ideal way of combining hobby and study. The graphic designer goes through all submitted images and prepares them for the issue as well.

We can then discuss how many topic specific editors are needed: I think we need to have a "Fiction guy", a "Painting/Modelling/gallery guy" and a "Rules guy" as a minimum. It would be really cool to have a "Batttle reports guy" as well, but that probably needd to be someone who get to play a lot of games.
It is the responsibility of each editor to colllect articles from the fan base and probably also write up a few himself. The Editor should go through each article (possibly proof reading as he go) and maybe write up a quick summary for the Chief Editor.

2. We start spamming! :p  Well seriously: We need to make Incoming! more known on places like the official GW forum. That way we can attract more writers. I'm sure there's a lot of modellers or fan list writers  out there who wouldn't mind seeing their stuff publshed in the biggest unofficial Epic E-zine on the net!

This means starting topics with links to each editor's e-mail address on a regular basis. In the topic we must present Incoming!: What is it; what do we need etc.
Werther or not this will work only time will tell. However I tink it would be worth a shot. :cool:

Cheers! :)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:11 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I like the idea of a 'other games' section. It would be great to have a dedicated Epic mag, but with one section which could have anything from a Flames of War battle report, to a 40K article.

Warmaster Nice - your outline is pretty much what we use. However, the 'graphics guy' really also needs to be the main editor. this is because the graphics fill the space that the articles dont, and sometimes the articles need to be edited to fit.

Warp Rift relies heavily on the section editors to send a 'ready for print' article, already proof read, so all ( ??? ) I need to do is throw them into the templates and fit a few graphics around them (this doesnt include tables which are an absolute nightmare and very common in Gothic!  :angry:  ).

I had a problem that battle reports were difficult to find, so I expanded the section to include battle reports, scenarios and campaigns. This makes things much easier.

I also dont think that advertising widely is necessary. Sure, mention it on key places when an issue is available, but I find that 90% of the readers come from one one or two adverts.

I would also say that, with the end of Fanatic mag in printed form, there is opportunity for Incoming to better (if Warp Rift continues for another couple of issues, we will outlive Fanatic!  :p  ).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lol, you have to beat our record of 20 issues next ;).

And... we WILL be back! I am noting all these ideas, so keep 'em coming peeps!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a shame that you're standing down, Douglas, but I hope a new editori or editing team is appointed quickly, so there can be an unbroken run of Incoming!

Dysartes.com - Resources for the Modern Wargamer - Last updated: December 2004 - Next Update: In Progress

Sentinels are just young titans that haven't grown up yet!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can function at least partially on the function of Fiction Guy. At least I think so.

On the subject of 40k, if you'll need any articles then I might provide some and look for people to provide more.

Realm of the Horseman ? ?The mirror site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What Cybershadow and Warmaster Nice came up with is IMHO probably the best answer to the dilema and as far as I was concerned I wouldnt be doing Incoming justice if I was trying to be a Jack of all trades.

I want this to be the best ezine on the net and have the reputation to go with it. Obviously with that goal it has to have the substance to earn that label.  If there was some team to organize stuff to share the load I would still love to be involved. I just couldnt fit it all in.  

I agree that losing momentum between issues would be a bad thing but unless the submissions rate changes then its going to have to regroup and wait a little for things to change unless there are members who can say that in 2 months time (Feb15th2005) we can have an issue ready.

Now one thing I have learned with Incoming is that no one likes to have writing throughout their issue. Pictures, pictures and more pictures seem to really pull in numbers.  That was mainly the reason why I broke that up by adding a painting article myself, namely the Tau and the Grey Knights (Issue 20). Paul helped out there along with Warmaster and I also remember a successful issue being a submission from Paul, Warmaster and vanlvak which had IG stuff in it and that was excellent. Rules help but need to be broken up.  I think that was a requirement from Fanatic, do rules but pictures must accompany them as anyone can jot down rules.    

Battle reports will be touch and go as people have said because there are many who cannot play, though I for one will be playing more games which should be good. So maybe that will eventually change and a few more battles can come Incoming's way

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:30 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (darkone26 @ 09 2004 Dec.,14:07)
If there was some team to organize stuff to share the load I would still love to be involved. I just couldnt fit it all in.

Does this mean that you would remain inplace to steer the publication, if you could form a good team to help you out? I hope so. My advice would be:

Take time off to regroup. Miss an issue (just one) and come back fighting after that.

Reorganise the publication. Set definitive sections and get sub-editors to help out.

Dont take a section yourself. That way you are more free to do the main editorial job, and also submit articles to fill gaps (I still have to submit to our sub-editors if I have an article for their sections, it is only fair).

Dont be afraid to ask for help, or make changes. I am frequently pushing back deadlines, as long as it is not too bad it builds expectation (or so I tell the editorial team!).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cybershadow: I agree completely. At the time we spoke when you started off your organisation seemed a good idea, though for our ezine it didnt seem so bad to get stuff together. Only now its taking up time and Tom(I think) has the same problem to get everything done.

If there was an Incoming team then yes I would remain in place if thats what Tom would like. As it is I couldnt do it on my own and hence my decision to let someone else take over so long as they werent alone doing everything either.

From the advice about a group I have no problems there and would be the first to ask for help or change stuff, I just didnt think Incoming would grow so quickly nor did I imagine that so many would be downloading it where it has become successful.  Its certainly outgrown being a one man job!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blimey.
Teach me to start at the painting section - i'd missed this in my first round of forum-reading today to catch up on a missed week!

Totally understand your situation Doug. Its the same thing that happened to me & Epic40K.com. You've done a brilliant job with incoming & its evolved into a "must have" monthly(ish) resource with you at its helm.

Congratulations on your work to date & good luck with getting everything in line to keep it at the top of the Epic Resources.

I say it perpetually, but I will endevour to get some articles complete & ready for submission. First up will be my "Making the Madness" article about the GD SW squad, but seeing as its already 2 months late, I guess that doesnt help much

:(

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll just say that netepic has my thoughts about how to improve Incoming, and leave it at that :)

Dysartes.com - Resources for the Modern Wargamer - Last updated: December 2004 - Next Update: In Progress

Sentinels are just young titans that haven't grown up yet!