Login |  Register |  FAQ

noise marines

Post subject: noise marines
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hi all,

A quick question from a recent game.
How would you resolve a noise marine firing they are listed as 4bp 5+ to hit.

regards
uncle c

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Noise Marine 10cm 5+ +2 Sonic Blasters 50 cm 4BP 5+ -2 Elite

Noise Marines: After millennia of exposure to pleasures that would kill a normal human, there are many amongst the ranks of the Emperor’s Children whose senses have become dulled over the years. Eager for more and greater stimulation they construct strange sonic weapons and take to field to experience the perverse joys of battle once
again.

I think I understand this to mean...

They are 4BP indicating to me a 6cm template area attack, for each Noise Marine Stand. The 4BP gives you a 5+ to hit, which I take to mean you can not combine your detachments barrage points as they are not like artillery and can't fire indirectly either. However, because BP is used I would say you could damage buildings with the attack. I guess that accounts for the sonicness of the weapons. Perhaps it would have been helpful to have had this in the units description...

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes,
Having read the indirect fire and artillery rules, and stuff i would agree,
I also noticed that command units don't get orders, and don't activate as we were doing, its always the same frenzy of info gathering after games:)

Cheers,
Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There were lots of differences in the game played. I sometimes get mixed up with our own houserules but in this case I had assumed that was just how you both played your HQ's.

NetEpic v5.1 Core Rules
Special Ability: Command
Command units represent leaders and highly-trained people in your army and have abilities beyond those of regular troops. Command units are not given orders, as they may always move double their normal movement (as though on Charge Orders) and fire in the First Fire Segment (as per First Fire Orders). However, Command units who are in or have initiated Close Combat may not shoot, and Command units that Snap Fire may not later move.
Optional Command Rule: Many players feel that Command units are overvalued and have slightly restricted their abilities. Command units may either A) move on Charge Orders and fire in the Advance Fire Segment, or B) move on Advance Orders and fire in the First Fire Segment.

It's HQ units in v5+ that get normal orders unless it says in their description that they are also Commanders... quite irritating... I tend to ignore this one as I never thought it to be bad or in need of change, but?.. *shrug* play as you think.

It wouldn't have made any difference to the game as the Dark Angel Company Commanders, Commissars and IG Company Commanders were all... Commanders, not HQ's.

NetEpic v5.1 Core Rules
Activating Units

1) Units on First Fire Orders: Activating a unit on First Fire Orders is usually done to Snap Fire at a
moving enemy, but it may be done to gain a tactical advantage (e.g. an obvious order such as, “This artillery battery
is on First Fire Orders. It’s your turn to move a unit.â€Â

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Command and HQ were separated as there were really two effects going on with the old version of Command.  In lots of cases both didn't need to apply.  There are clearly units that should have targeting protection (HQ) that aren't Command.

We've played the optional Command Rule from the SM2 days around here.  It is about the only optional rule we use.

We don't allow the "activating" of First Fire units (a type of "pass") here either.  As Warhead says, it just delays things, and an army sitting on First Fire should have to face the prospect of being out manoeuvred by an army that is well....manoeuvering.

Correct interpretation of the Noise Marines.  With the later version of NE we tried to standardise so there is less need for lots of special descriptions.  As in all cases, if there are special rules they'll be noted...otherwise play them exactly as written :)