Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Incoming update

Post subject: Incoming update
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

THe follow up interviews will be VERY interesting. I must say I'm loking forward to them.

I wont be pulling any punches that time...so beware!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree, it will be interesting to find out what people think, including myself, six months down the line.

Stormseer: glad you liked it.  We intend only to get better with everybody's help ;)

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just remember who has to ask the questions Primarch! I don't wanna get a punch in return :D.

Glad you liked the fiction guys, the characterisation of the primarchs wasn't an issue then? Was it fairly accurate or not?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BTW: Don't forget to rate your downloads, if you think it is the best Incoming! to date, rate it high so others can use your advice  :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (netepic @ 16 2003 Oct.,09:23)
Just remember who has to ask the questions Primarch! I don't wanna get a punch in return :D.

Glad you liked the fiction guys, the characterisation of the primarchs wasn't an issue then? Was it fairly accurate or not?

About the primarch fluff: Kurze was the best closely followed by Magnus. However, I think Magnus was the _only_ one of the primarchs to actually have psychic powers.

Fulgrim is IMO way too obvious. If he had been that kind of hedonist he would have aroused suspicions immediately.

Russ is refreshingly blunt, but IMO sounds more like a NYC ganger than a viking. Besides, would he really have demanded WATER for his followers?  :laugh:

Oh, and why do I get the impression you don't like Dorn... :;):

I hope I do not sound like I didn't like the fluff; I simply LOVED the battle scene at the Squat fortress. Not to mention that the piece about Night Haunter brooding in a dark fortress was perfect. i almost could actually see him.

But wasn't the armor of Night Lords midnight blue even before heresy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Mojarn Piett @ 16 2003 Oct.,09:57)
About the primarch fluff: Kurze was the best closely followed by Magnus. However, I think Magnus was the _only_ one of the primarchs to actually have psychic powers.

Fulgrim is IMO way too obvious. If he had been that kind of hedonist he would have aroused suspicions immediately.

Russ is refreshingly blunt, but IMO sounds more like a NYC ganger than a viking. Besides, would he really have demanded WATER for his followers? ?:laugh:

Oh, and why do I get the impression you don't like Dorn... :;):

I hope I do not sound like I didn't like the fluff; I simply LOVED the battle scene at the Squat fortress. Not to mention that the piece about Night Haunter brooding in a dark fortress was perfect. i almost could actually see him.

Kurtze and Sanquinious both had a form of premonition, other than that, I theorised that they would at least have a psychic awareness. (EG: Russ couldn't do anything psychic but when a psyker tried to use his powers nearby or to target him the hairs on the back of his neck would rise and his spider sense would tingle.)

I suspect you might be right with Fulgrim, I got my impression mainly from the ease in which he was ensnared by Horus, Horus turned him to Slaanesh by entrapping him on a barge surrounded by exotic drugs and women. Can't remember where I read that - probably Critical hit, will track down the exact phraseology for it.

With Russ I kinda wanted to avoid the stereotypical viking acting as I always felt that he was a highly intelligent barbarian shoved into a high tech space age environment and trying to do the best he can to adapt, that has gotta effect someone. However, I am not certain that his persona sits quite right....

As for the water - that for his wolves :), not the marines, they will be requiring the full Bugmans treatment! Might have to reword that bit.

Glad you liked the combat at the Squat fortress, I rewrote that about four times :), so it is cool that it was worth the effort. I rewrote the bit with Konrad a couple of times too.

The whole thing will be getting another rewrite when I have finished, probably gonna flesh it out somewhat as it seems a bit short, get more characterisation in it.

My main problem stems from the primarches, everyone has very fixed ideas about them, but there is very little supporting fluff and it is highly contradictory. For example, Leman russ was mean't to be a superb tactician who was a master at the use of the Imperial guard in supporting operations - which really doesn't sit with the rest of the fluff. So I have been taking the bits which seem useful and making up the rest. Camping up Fulgrim was probably the most risky element of that.

With the primarchs I have tried to remain open minded, all the primarches to turned to Chaos weren't evil, some were trying to help the Imperium, so were forced, others were corrupted. As for the loyalists with Rogal Dorn as a prime example I wan't to show that just because they fought on the right side - doesn't mean they were nice people. I don't see Rogal as being a nice guy, he was jealous, ambitious and narrow minded. Suffered for target fixation and had a strange fixation with pain, I honestly believe that if it wasn't for his fear of the unknown, love of the Emperor and most importantly his sheer stubborness he would have been a prime candidate for turning.

Oh and yeah :), you are right, I don't really like Rogal very much - that seeps into the writing, I think he is the type of character that everyone loves to hate, and it is cool to have a villain who on the right side, fighting for good but in the wrong way. End of the day though - when all the cards were played no matter how much damage he had wrought at the beginning of the Heresy he was at the palace and fought side by side with his brothers to drive off the Heretics. I don't like him, but I do respect him.

As for the armour - must check! L4 - Primarch help me here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (netepic @ 16 2003 Oct.,12:34)
As for the armour - must check! L4 - Primarch help me here!

What bit about armour...did I miss that? Please update me!!

I may be able to help...

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To quote Spock, "Specify Armour question ?"  ???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

:D, there ya go :), one question.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the armour has ALWAYS been Midnight blue, as traitor legions havn't changed their colour scheme (Except Lunar Wolves...but we just forget about them :D) So yes, Nightlords are midnight blue.

Only Loyal legions changed colour scheme's, but that was due to them becoming chapters, and changing their organisation.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

..The answer is yes- they always had that sinister look, w/ skulls, lightning, etc...
Look at UK WD 260 for the Index Astartes: Night Lords if you have it- there is a picture of the pre-heresy colour scheme on pg 17.. it is virtually identical to the present one...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Stormseer, I didn't think of looking there. (Franticly digs out own copy...) and there it is, practically the same! Many traitor scheme's are like this, they kinda don't change much at all.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

It has always been midnight blue, there was no change after the turning, with exception of adding chaos signs to the armor.

You don't like Rogal Dorn? I do, but I like stubborn, snoddy, rigid people...they remind me of someone I like very much...... }:)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 16 2003 Oct.,22:34)
Hi!

It has always been midnight blue, there was no change after the turning, with exception of adding chaos signs to the armor.

You don't like Rogal Dorn? I do, but I like stubborn, snoddy, rigid people...they remind me of someone I like very much...... }:)

Primarch

Me?  :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (netepic @ 16 2003 Oct.,12:34)
Kurtze and Sanquinious both had a form of premonition, other than that, I theorised that they would at least have a psychic awareness. (EG: Russ couldn't do anything psychic but when a psyker tried to use his powers nearby or to target him the hairs on the back of his neck would rise and his spider sense would tingle.)

D'oh! I'd forgotten about the premonition. And The "Spider Sense" is a good idea.

I suspect you might be right with Fulgrim, I got my impression mainly from the ease in which he was ensnared by Horus, Horus turned him to Slaanesh by entrapping him on a barge surrounded by exotic drugs and women. Can't remember where I read that - probably Critical hit, will track down the exact phraseology for it.

I'm waiting for it. In the meantime; here's what Index Astartes had to say about him. To put it shortly, he was a perfectionist and a patron of arts. "Perfectionist" in the good sense of the word as he demended more from himself than anybody else. He and his legion strove to be as much like the Emperor as possible.

With Russ I kinda wanted to avoid the stereotypical viking acting as I always felt that he was a highly intelligent barbarian shoved into a high tech space age environment and trying to do the best he can to adapt, that has gotta effect someone. However, I am not certain that his persona sits quite right....

That he was intelligent there is no doubt; after all he is said to have been a master tactician. However, you might want to adjust his language; think about a NYC ganger who speaks in an old-fashioned way. ?Also, make him more proud as he really was proud and even arrogant as is evidenced in the meeting between him and the Emperor. He actually resembles Squats very much, no wonder they got along so well. :;):

As for the water - that for his wolves, not the marines, they will be requiring the full Bugmans treatment! Might have to reword that bit.

I might suggest that. Although it's not impossible that his wolves actually drank Bugman's. ?:laugh:

Glad you liked the combat at the Squat fortress, I rewrote that about four times, so it is cool that it was worth the effort. I rewrote the bit with Konrad a couple of times too.

Definetely. I always love too see the Squats kick some butt. And anybody who writes about big war machines is going to get my interest. I'd love to write some fluff myself but unfortunately I'm not much of a writer as is evidenced in the Crimson Suns fluff. Nothing very original there. ?:(

The whole thing will be getting another rewrite when I have finished, probably gonna flesh it out somewhat as it seems a bit short, get more characterisation in it.

My main problem stems from the primarches, everyone has very fixed ideas about them, but there is very little supporting fluff and it is highly contradictory. For example, Leman russ was mean't to be a superb tactician who was a master at the use of the Imperial guard in supporting operations - which really doesn't sit with the rest of the fluff. So I have been taking the bits which seem useful and making up the rest. Camping up Fulgrim was probably the most risky element of that.

Just make him more subtle and insidious. Like having just a bit more opulent uniform than is proper and such. Slaanesh is ,after all, the second most cunning Chaos God right after Tzeentch. Fulgrim should IMO leave a vague impression that something just _might_ be wrong but it's hard to put one's finger on it. Hmm, that sounds hard... :)

All in all, I think you have an excellent start for a really cool fluff story! Keep it up for us non-writers! ?:;):

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next