Login |  Register |  FAQ

What are Net Epic's defining rules mechanics

Post subject: Re: What are Net Epic's defining rules mechanics
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can agree with a lot of that as well. One question though. Could you elaborate on what you mean by: "Bring back weapon differentiation in titan pricing."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

with regards to unit activation have a look at the Bolt Action system, both players place dice in a bag each player has its own colour they are drawn blind and the colour pulled out is that players go he then can activate a single formation give it an order then carry out that order. once complete another die is drawn and it may be the same player it may not. It adds a nice level of uncertainty and can make you really decide what unit you should activate and what can wait each player would put in a dice for each Company, support or special formation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought that he meant that titan weapons should be cheaper for more fragile platforms though the weapons are the same the platform they are carried on can be more or less durable. you could potentially have greater use of a mega bolter mounted on a warlord than a Warhound. I'm probably wrong though. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, interesting thought, but I doubt it. I just looked, and every entry for "weapon" on the Reaver, Warlord, Warlord Psi, and Warhound Titan hit location charts has "2+" for the save value. Thus there is no "more fragile platform" for the costs to vary by.

As the system is now, each weapon has it's own cost based on it's abilities, so there is nothing that I can see to "bring back". It makes me wonder if he was thinking about a different edition of Epic where Titan Weapons all cost the same no matter what they do. Assuming either of the other versions do that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry, was away for work at one of the most absurdly locked down corporate networks! (It actually killed our PoC, so their loss)

Anyway. In Original AT, there was actually a "Real cost" of the weapons beyond just points. The Plasma weapons have a subset of this still, but there used to be a good bit more to it. It did make Titans a bit more cumbersome in play, but I think it forced you to make tough choices in your weaponry.

MM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
Sorry, was away for work at one of the most absurdly locked down corporate networks! (It actually killed our PoC, so their loss)

Anyway. In Original AT, there was actually a "Real cost" of the weapons beyond just points. The Plasma weapons have a subset of this still, but there used to be a good bit more to it. It did make Titans a bit more cumbersome in play, but I think it forced you to make tough choices in your weaponry.

MM

Hi!

Your talking about hard point capacity, barrels and effects on speed and maneuverability.

In a nutshell the higher amount of those you added to a titan, the slower and less maneuverable they were. It was a trade off between speed and maneuverability versus firepower.

Those were the days. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:

Hi!

Your talking about hard point capacity, barrels and effects on speed and maneuverability.

In a nutshell the higher amount of those you added to a titan, the slower and less maneuverable they were. It was a trade off between speed and maneuverability versus firepower.

Those were the days. ;)

Primarch

Yes, exactly! I like that plasma cannon have a subset of that, but would love to see some of it re-integrated. For example the Center-Fire Cannon that made it pretty much an immobile artillery piece, but was absolute devastation. Currently some of the weapons lack flavor and real usability.

-edit- I know that it is still there in the rules, but it is sorta nerfed from AT. I have the article about it somewhere around here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
primarch wrote:

Hi!

Those were the days. ;)

Primarch

Yes, exactly! I like that plasma cannon have a subset of that, but would love to see some of it re-integrated. For example the Center-Fire Cannon that made it pretty much an immobile artillery piece, but was absolute devastation. Currently some of the weapons lack flavor and real usability.

-edit- I know that it is still there in the rules, but it is sorta nerfed from AT. I have the article about it somewhere around here.

Hi!

I could see pitching a similar system for a variant like Platinum, for standard gold of the potential revision coming up less likely, since it may represent too much of a change.

Nut I definitely miss a lot of the first edition stuff. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I could very, very easily be "convinced" to add a Car Wars (or Mekton, or Traveler, or any of several others) like building system onto NetEpic to make building Titans really customizable. Not that I need another project...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If anyone is interested, I will pull my old SM1/AT-Era materials and try to hash together a system?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
If anyone is interested, I will pull my old SM1/AT-Era materials and try to hash together a system?

Hi!

You are more than welcome to.:)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules