Login |  Register |  FAQ

NetEpic Platinum Scenarios and Deployment Options

Post subject: NetEpic Platinum Scenarios and Deployment Options
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I guess I will kick things off with a simple proposal that will help spice the normal games up. I have mentioned it in other topics and think it is a simple addition that will make games more interesting.

Random Deployment Zones

Once players have chosen their armies, the scenery has been laid out and objectives have been placed, the areas where the armies can be set up (or rather deployed) must be decided.

To do this, roll on the random deployment table below to see which deployment map you will use. This will ensure each game is slightly different and the separation allows for a certain amount of manoeuvring at the start of the battle before units can charge each other.

D6 Deployment Map

1-2 Tactical Escalation
3-4 Flank Strike
5-6 Contact (Roll again)
1-3 Contact Left
4-6 Contact Right

Tactical Escalation

Attachment:
Tactical Escalation Deployment Map.JPG
Tactical Escalation Deployment Map.JPG [ 19.54 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

Flank Strike

Attachment:
Flank Strike Deployment Map.JPG
Flank Strike Deployment Map.JPG [ 17.2 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

Contact Left

Attachment:
Contact Left Deployment Map.JPG
Contact Left Deployment Map.JPG [ 22.51 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

Contact Right

Attachment:
Contact Right Deployment Map.JPG
Contact Right Deployment Map.JPG [ 22.14 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

These maps are just a few of the options, and the basic 3(4) that pop up in a few wargames. There is nothing complicated about them, but it just adds that extra element to stop the basic game getting tired.
If anyone has some others that we could use, then add them below, though, try and keep them simple, so it doesn't take to long to set the game up. Others I have thought of include:

Attachment:
Corners Deployment Maps.JPG
Corners Deployment Maps.JPG [ 55.11 KiB | Viewed 5280 times ]

Thoughts?

Matt

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NetEpic Platinum Scenarios and Deployment Options
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good to me. It takes the game away from the bog standard, line em up and fight type of game. Its also very easy it implement. I like.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heres a few thoughts, maybe we could have a list of maybe 6 scenarios to start with, then the scenarios can be changed by adding or deleting scenario special rules, producing even more variety in our games.

SCENARIO SPECIAL RULES.

ADVANCED DEPLOYMENT
For Every formation of *scouts* in your force a formation may deploy anywhere in your half of the table, but no closer than 6 inches to any enemy formation. If both players have advanced deployment then the player with the highest command value chooses who deploys first.
* By scouts I mean fast, lightly equipped troops, I think a list of which units are scouts would be helpful
Such as- Marine scouts, Ratlings, blood axe kommandos, eldar rangers, Tau pathfinders etc.*

AMBUSH
1 x Formation of troops may be held off table at the beginning of the game. At any point in your opponents turn the ambush can be sprung. The formation may be deployed anywhere in your half of the table, but must be in concealing terrain, and be no closer than 6 inches to any enemy. Once deployed they can be activated using first fire orders.

FLANKING FORCE
Up to 50% of your force may be held off table in reserve at the beginning of the game. From turn 2 onwards the player rolls a d6.
• On turn 2 the force arrives if a 1 or 2 is rolled.
• On turn 3 the force arrives if a 1, 2 or 3 is rolled.
• On turn 4 the force arrives automatically.
The force deploys on the flank indicated in the scenario.

RESERVES
Up to 50% of the army is held off table in reserve at the beginning of the game. From turn 2 onwards the player rolls a d6 for each formation.
• On turn 2 the formation arrives if a 1 or 2 is rolled.
• On turn 3 the formation arrives if a 1, 2 or 3 is rolled.
• On turn 4 the formation arrives automatically.
The formation arrives anywhere in your deployment area.

SCATTERED RESERVES
The same as the reserves rule above, with the following difference -
The formation arrives in a randomly determined area within your deployment zone.
• Roll a D6,
• 1-2 left
• 3-4 centre
• 5-6 right

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I had written some flanking rules for Net Epic Evolution that I used that are similar to what you suggest Yorkie.

I really like Mattman's suggestions as well as Yorkie's. I think its high time these things form part of the core game.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those 3 deployment options have been pretty standard in 40k and other games for years now. It just helps makes the games a little more interesting without have to add loads of extra special rules.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Theres lots more that could be added, such as preliminary bombardments, orbital bombardments, fortifications for the defender in certain scenarios, phased withdrawals, and obviously only 1 or 2 of these scenario rules would be used for any given game.

For example an attack/defence game such as a hasty attack would have maybe preliminary bombardment for the attacker and scattered reserves for the defender.

Then to make a more break the line type game you could give the defender fortifications and ambush, while the attacker gets an orbital bombardment, and maybe a flank attack.

How about a surprise attack? attacker gets advanced deployment, and defender gets scattered reserves?

Theres loads of different variations that could be used, and by varying the victory conditions, even more options are available.

I dont think that adding a few scenario special rules would make the game complicated or slow it down, with the different deployment options that mattman posted earlier, theres no need to play the same game twice!

I have some ideas for several scenarios but dont have either the software of computer skills to draw the deployment maps so its hard to convey what im on about ;D

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yorkie, do you have access to the 1st edition AT/SM rules?

The scenarios therein I believe a great launching point for ideas.

I would like to see you develop your ideas using them.

I would particularly love to add rules for all the things you mentioned and have much more tactical options.

If you don't have them drop me a PM. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heres some more thoughts -

Fighting Withdrawal
Each turn the defending player must nominate a formation in his army: On the dice result shown below, the formation will withdraw, remove the formation.
• On turn 1 – On a D6 roll of a 6+
• On turn 2– On a D6 roll of a 5+
• On turn 3– On a D6 roll of a 4+
• On turn 4– Automatic

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heres a sample mission, using some of the rules I have outlined above - Deployment etc could be any of the options that Mattman suggested...

STRATEGIC WITHDRAWAL

Sometimes the best plan is to withdraw to fight another day, while the main force retreats to new positions, your force has been chosen to delay the enemy as long as possible, making a phased withdrawal of your own troops.

The game will last for 6 turns, on turn 6, on a dice roll of 4, 5, 6 the game continues another turn.
Scenario Rules – Attacker – Advanced Deployment
Defender – Fighting withdrawal

Attacker mission – Your forces are to prevent the escape of the enemy forces, and break through their lines, to wreak havoc on the retreating army they are protecting.
• Every Enemy formation broken – 1 VP
• Every friendly unit that exits the defenders table edge – 2 VP

Defender Mission – You are to prevent the enemy from interfering with the retreat of the main army, and safely conduct a fighting withdrawal.
• Every Enemy formation broken – 1 VP
• Every formation withdrawn unbroken – 2VP

Victory will go to the side with the most VP’s at the end of the game.

The finished mission would maybe include a bit of background and a nice looking deployment map etc.

EDIT - Note the Victory conditions, these could change, im just trying to give you an idea of what im thinking ;D

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All cool ideas.
I think we need to just be careful and harking back to previous conversations we need to develop 2 parts to this.

The first is just the basic "pick and and play" type game. Both players have equal point armies and just want a standard fight, but with a few extra bits like random deployment and the odd special rules (night fight, scouting, something that affects armour/titans for a turn etc). This system needs to be balanced and any special rules equally applied to both sides. I wouldn't expect to have defined attacker/defender roles in these games.

The second is the prepared for scenarios. Both players agree play a specific scenario with all the specific rules and deployment zones. Normally each side will have a defined role (attacker/defender) and sometimes one side will have less points. These games will usually have quite a few special rules to help give the scenario a story.

Both parts should be included in Platinum in some way. Maybe just keep to whatever we decide for the "pick and and play" system in the main book and include all the scenarios in a stand alone book. That will allow for all the scenarios to be developed and published in their own time frame (they are likely to need quite a bit of play testing, especially if they use a different VP system) and we don't want them to hold up the release of the Platinum rule book.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I agree, im just airing my ideas and maybe getting ahead of myself, your quite right of course.

So for the standard missions, we should decide how many variations we want. Maybe 4?

Scenario 1 - Engagement. Basic "tournament" type game, no special scenario rules, fight for objectives and breaking en formations.

Scenario 2 - Dawn assault. - Same as engagement but introduce night fighting rules (limited visibility) for turns 1-2 only?

Scenario 3 - Fighting patrol - Use alternate deployment, opposite corners, objective is to control table quarters? Maybe give players 1 ambush each?

Scenario 4 - escalating engagement - possibly use alternate deployment, both players have 50% in reserve, use scattered and or delayed reserves?

thoughts?

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I'm really liking you ideas Yorkie!

They look a lot like the old time scenarios from AT.

This is exactly what the game needs to give some added variety in fighting battles. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To go along with this how about varied objectives like Epic Armageddon Rescue Take & Hold Bunker Capture & Blitz could also provide variety

Verum Irae II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Llamahead wrote:
To go along with this how about varied objectives like Epic Armageddon Rescue Take & Hold Bunker Capture & Blitz could also provide variety

Hi!

Care to give a brief description of these?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about Siege or surrounded,

The defender starts trapped some where in the middle of the map the attacker surrounds and tries to annihilate the attacker.

Could be various victory conditions like:

Defender escapes
Defender repels attacker
Attacker breaks the defender (all units broken)
Attacker annihilates defender

ect