Login |  Register |  FAQ

Terran Hollister figures do not fit GW bases ?!

Post subject: Terran Hollister figures do not fit GW bases ?!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Bemused by some newly acquired Terran house holister infantry – the basing discs each figure comes on do not fit (GW) strip bases and are a different size from other onslaught minis I have. I’m at a bit of a loss on this, why?

Why (deliberately, presumably) change the base size of your figures? They’re too deep to fit now (stand proud of the top of the base) and are also wider than GW or other onslaught minis bases.

This turns the idea of buying some packs to paint up quick inf coy into a headache of needing to buy new thickness plastic sheet and drill out new custom bases just to fit these models … ultimately meaning ill probably just never use them.

Could these and any other figures on similar new size bases be clearly labelled as such on the onslaught website? I realise you aren’t connected to GW and make stuff that is clearly 100% IP original, but deliberately making regular human figures not fit the standard bases or your own other ranges … why?

Does anyone know any pre-made bases these do fit? (Fit = you don't have to file the bottom of every figure then force them into bases with two pairs of pliers) . Anyance they’ll be re-made on discs that fit standard epic bases?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Terran Hollister figures do not fit GW bases ?!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have you tried Vanguard strip bases?

I've a feeling there may be a fraction of a mm extra space in them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Cheers for the suggestion -- Don't have any of your strips to hand but have just tried in some of the rounds that came with tmg crowdfunding bits. There is indeed extra wiggle room width wise there and the Hollisters fit.

Are the holes sizes in the vanguard strips the same size? (Exactly, parametrically the same). I notice the strips are listed as being 1.6mm thick, whereas the rounds are 2mm thick. As another problem with the Hollisters is that the bases are too deep, if the holes in the thinner strips are also shallower, that'd exacerbate the doeth problem even if it solves width (probably still preferable mind!)

(For anyone else playing does the round block fit in the round hole at home, old gw squares are anneven worse fit)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I used the same hole size on both base types.

They will be lower profile though, sorry. Maybe some slightly coarse sand as basing material might help?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've come to the decision that with all the 6mm out there. And after spending a lot of time sanding/filing bases to fit GW and even other bases holes. I'm just going to filp the bases over and glue the figures to the underside/bottom. E.g. this Cmd Stand of mine using the original SM1 metal SMs ... A simple & workable solution, IMO ...

My next project interrupting my Chaos painting campaign, is to sand off the Trolls Under The Bridge square 6mm base on their figures. And glue them on round disc bases to match the others from various sources of 6mm including GW ... :gah

Along with my rant on another thread here about model makers designing figures that poses are not gamer friendly and using fragile modeling material ... " Here's my main complaint with some model makes ... Thin ankles and and arms sticking too far out are not modelling or gamer friendly. I love the various poses ... some figures are an accident waiting to happen. I have figures with their arm sticking out from various makers. And those are hard to keep from breaking, even when painting in some cases. So one has to be very careful. Regardless a note to all model makers, I love detail ... but I don't like fragile. And some poses or weapons, etc. are just not strong enough to use with out concern. E.g. I've got some 6mm figs with potato masher/stikk bomm type weapons. I probably wouldn't use them to game with ... those would not last long on the gaming table, IMO ... " >:(

So along with all that ... I'll add the round size/square base situation ! :{[]

My Christmas Wish is for model makers to get their "poop" straight and make models more gamer friendly and useful ... >:( :nooo :P :-*

Attachments:
SM M Cmd .jpg
SM M Cmd .jpg [ 38.89 KiB | Viewed 7141 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You could buy lazer cut bases 2.5mm thick and use a drill bit to drill into them the depth you need . Granted it is a bit tricky.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there! Base sizes on metal figures are tricky, because there are a number of points during the creation process when the figure is deformed slightly. And this can lead to bases being a little funky.

Best way to fix this would be to shape them with a file imo.