Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 307  Next

Onslaught Miniatures

Post subject: Re: Onslaught Miniatures
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys! Nice to see you all again ;)

The Kaiju Mega Rigs will be the largest rig available to the OTC. Roughly 30mm tall - my first big walker model :)

There will indeed be limos I promise, just in the next wave. The trucks will be basic sci-fi looking open-bed trucks.

Now - for the space forggies:

I want these guys to "feel" ancient, and powerful - these guys have unlocked the mysteries of how the universe works and when threatened, their military might is awesome to behold. Even advanced factions like the Lyceum or OTC are baffled by the seemingly "magical" nature of their warmachines and armament.

Even their average troopers are equipped with highly sophisticated equipment, such as space warping protective fields, "guns" if you can call them that - which, while short ranged, apparently open spherical rifts in space/time, leaving nothing behind after they dissipate.

So these guys are way WAY beyond crude ballistics. And I don't want their weapons and vehicles to look conventional at all - you wont be able to look at one of their models and say "That's a gun" or "That's a Tank". I want the shapes presented by this army to be wholly "outside the box".

On the battlefield, I want these guys to be very powerful, hard to predict, and small in number. You will have to work hard to beat them, but it will also be hard to manage them as your own force. I like the idea of "waves" warping into the game from far far away. So maybe you take a quarter of the points being played, say 500 for a 2k game, and that is the number of points you get to warp in each turn. These points can be "banked" to warp in larger models. Also - these guys are masters of foresight, so only the first wave of troops is selected before the battle - the rest can be decided on as the game progresses...

Note - this will leave you overwhelmed at first, but if your opponent is not quick about grabbing the win, your force will eventually out-value his as more and more waves join the battle...

Just a few ideas! Thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:

There will indeed be limos I promise, just in the next wave. The trucks will be basic sci-fi looking open-bed trucks.

Limos AND Flat bed trucks!

I think the playstyle idea for the frogs will be very hard to balance, but it is well worth trying to make it as it will lend a very unique experience to their games.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If there was to be a new race (and there seems to be one: spacefrogs) then it has to be unique indeed. And with a special playstyle. And a chalenge to win against. That would make then super interesting to play with and against. I'm in favor. Go! ;)

BLOG: Epic 40,000
BLOG: Warmaster

Toco's Mod: Allied HeroQuest

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ha! That's an awesome gif :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:

OTC - Kaiju Mega Rigs (Large Rigs with interchangeable weapons)
OTC - Neo Shinobi Yurei (Anti-Grav Bike units)
OTC - Tenko Assault Craft (Anti-Grav Light Attack Craft)

Sisterhood - Veritas Assault Craft (landing craft for infantry)
Sisterhood - Hera Battle Tank (multi-Turreted tank)
Sisterhood - Hestia Flame Tank (Turret Mounted flame throwers)

Terran - Citizen Milita (armed human civilians)
Terran - Civilian Trucks (basic transports)

Hellborn - Cultists (armed crazies in robes)
Hellborn - Gore Maidens (Possessed females with huge blades)

Tzacol - Coatl Warriors (basic Tzacol Infantry)
Tzacol - Mayatl Battle Rigs (heavily armored Tzacol with ranged weaponry)
Tzacol - Mayatl Assault Rigs (heavily armored Tzacol with melee weaponry)

So - I've added to some of my existing lines, and started a few more. The first entries in the Terran line will be rather generic, but many people will find use for them. The Hellborn line will include demons and such down the line - but for now, we have cultists (which can find a wide audience I'm sure) and crazed naked chicks with giant blades (who wouldn't want some of those?? :))

I'm also easing into the Tzacol line, which will feature basic and heavy infantry for starters. I'm pushing these guys to the end of the list so that you guys can help guide their creation by making up relevant army lists for the rest of their line in whatever game you dig. I'd like to see this reptilian / amphibian army fill a high tech / mystical role with some ancient aztec / myan aesthetics - should be a fun challenge.

Thoughts?
All sounds very interesting !!! Love the Mayan/Aztec paradigm !

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:

The Kaiju Mega Rigs will be the largest rig available to the OTC. Roughly 30mm tall - my first big walker model :)

I want these guys to "feel" ancient, and powerful - these guys have unlocked the mysteries of how the universe works and when threatened, their military might is awesome to behold. Even advanced factions like the Lyceum or OTC are baffled by the seemingly "magical" nature of their warmachines and armament.

Even their average troopers are equipped with highly sophisticated equipment, such as space warping protective fields, "guns" if you can call them that - which, while short ranged, apparently open spherical rifts in space/time, leaving nothing behind after they dissipate.

So these guys are way WAY beyond crude ballistics. And I don't want their weapons and vehicles to look conventional at all - you wont be able to look at one of their models and say "That's a gun" or "That's a Tank". I want the shapes presented by this army to be wholly "outside the box".

On the battlefield, I want these guys to be very powerful, hard to predict, and small in number. You will have to work hard to beat them, but it will also be hard to manage them as your own force. I like the idea of "waves" warping into the game from far far away. So maybe you take a quarter of the points being played, say 500 for a 2k game, and that is the number of points you get to warp in each turn. These points can be "banked" to warp in larger models. Also - these guys are masters of foresight, so only the first wave of troops is selected before the battle - the rest can be decided on as the game progresses...

Note - this will leave you overwhelmed at first, but if your opponent is not quick about grabbing the win, your force will eventually out-value his as more and more waves join the battle...

The Frogulan Star Empire for the win!!!

According to your description, I see infantry weapons as being short, with two large curving pieces off of the front that are used to generate the energy balls and fling them down range.

Or something similar to a large Zat gun from Stargate.

http://i1.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-conte ... =550%2C414

But, it doesn't have to look at all like a conventional carry weapon. It could be a back or shoulder mounted weapon, as the Frogulans (I love that name--maybe it could be their general use nicknamed used by other races) limbs have a atrophied a bit from disuse (relying more on technology than other creatures)...relying on prosthetic weapons instead of something that can be carried.

Vehicles won't really need turrets and barrels to direct their weapons. Perhaps just a similar set up to the above mention dual-curvy bit gun, a large crystal, point off of the top of the vehicle, covering all firing arcs simultaneously; or a giant Zat gun (see above). Zat guns also have a bit of a cobra look to them.

Just my two cents.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good call on the approach with the space frogs. Last thing we need is another alien holding a rifle driving a tank (even one as badass as you make).

Vehicles, if you can even call them that, should levitate and be covered in Mayan / Aztec / Toltec styled designs / engravings. Weird stuff like entire temples pulled from the ground zapping things as the float along should be seen. Maybe living statues glowing with barely contained energy are woken by their tech shamans to do battle.

Oh and non gothic buildings to make L4 happy too :D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about levitating frogs, blasting lighting from orbs hovering above their heads?

Probably easier to draw than sculpt...

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also just to point out but most amphibians display sexual dimorphism. I think that might give some interesting ideas with big heavily decorated frogs (females) directing smaller male hunters/warriors. As the males grow older (eg mate) they begin to change and specialize and tend to be embedded / implanted / spliced into these weird contraptions as they are no linger needed to reproduce and way back when the first evolved they'd just of died. Instead now they become the wet ware to run much of their technology instead.

[shrugs]

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very interesting idea!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:

I think before we begin, we should also dump our conventional thinking about vehicle and infantry types. Familiarity with non-western doctrines is always a good thing when crafting a new army (for example, just plucking an idea from the news, Spetsnaz is often called the Russian special forces or the Russian SAS. Their real role and organization and training is so completely off-the-wall by US standards that people have trouble thinking about them without continually stuffing them back into the western model again and again). For the Froggies, we have to step even further back and revisit the foundations of their doctrine and capabilities or else we'll create "super-frog-tanks", backed up by "super-frog-VTOLs" and fire support from "super-frog-SP-artillery" until the "super-frog-infantry" shows up.

You might also want to consider re-visiting your modeling as well. New capabilities might give you the ability to do things that simply <i>look</i> eye-catchingly different on the playing field.

Have you considered partnering with Litko or Corsec? You could have them do a bazillion transparent acrylic disks with laser-etched symbols on them, and have those represent vehicular shields.

One easy thing you could do is haul out the standard science fantasy supertech and pull from that. Force fields and teleportation are obvious choices. Here's another: Let's look at the fundamental mechanics of a ground game and ask ourselves what kind of crazy things we could do that break those rules in the name of mind-twistingly dangerous super-science?

Here's some brainstorming:

• Teleporting out of assault: instead of normal withdrawal, a unit simply nominates a position some number of centimeters away and moves their figures to there. Assault's over, sorry guys.
  • Energy tokens: Perhaps have some kind of energy mechanic where you can spend tokens to get something (shields? firepower?)
  • Shields: Not your garden-variety ablative ones. These are "you shall not pass" invulnerable types. Attacks must come from the flank or rear to have any effect at all. Maybe in exchange the froggies can't fire through the shield either.
  • Terrain-changing: Either to represent seismic changes, or perhaps an energy field between two froggie units. So anything crossing a line between two froggie units treats the ground as dangerous. Or anything coming within X centimeters. Or, hell, weird games with dimensions let you MOVE a terrain piece.
  • Time travel: Sure, let's screw with causality! Nominate a unit. Put a copy of that unit on the board, anywhere you choose, at any time (even during the opponent's turn). Place a "time rift" marker next to the unit. Any kills scored by the copy are put to the side. If the nominated unit is destroyed before the time rift closes, then the copy is removed and all its kills are returned to the board next to the rift as the paradox resolves. The froggie player can close the rift voluntarily by moving the nominated unit into contact with the rift. (Obviously, we'd need some mechanic to allow the unit coherence rules to work, but you see what I mean.)
  • Spacial rifts. Number up some pairs of "spacial rift" tokens. A unit can move freely between rifts, and a unit can even remain adjacent to both tokens-- as long as each half is in coherence with itself and one of the two tokens, then the whole unit is fine. Now we have a way for our frogs to hop!
  • Artillery: Normally, with some exceptions, indirect fire follows the barrage rules and direct fire uses the shooting rules. Why not reverse it? Nasty, carefully aimed shots arc around obstacles, while direct fire unleashes a firestorm of sheer, unmitigated heck.
  • Soul sucking: ok this is a stretch, but I wanted to think of something totally off the wall. How about having your weapons do no damage but attack their opponents' sentience directly? That is, the intellect, so it affects robots and bioconstructs too. Every attack is essentially anti-personnel, and numbers rather than armor or shields is the only defense. That makes infantry very strong but vehicles very vulnerable. Obviously, this creates a long list of balance and feasibiliity problems, but it came to mind and this is brainstorming.

ANyway, these are just a barrage of suggestions. The key is to make them both headscratchingly weird and also very powerful. So they kind of play an entirely different game from the other armies, and force the other armies to develop entirely different tactics to face them. Once we have that in mind, we can figure out what kind of hardware they use to implement their weirdness.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

those are awesome ideas! Perhaps you can have "generator" units that act as "batteries" for the army. They generate power tokens, and also act as teleport beacons and the like. The energy generated by these units can be spent on powering all the cool effects you are describing above like the time distortions, teleporting, shield generation, etc...

There needs to be a way to stop the Tzacoal player from simply hiding them all behind their lines, so maybe the energy can only be transferred a limited distance to units that can use it, and reserve units can only be teleported within a certain distance of these "batteries". Consider the way Pylons work for the Protoss in Starcraft for example...

Anyways - this sort of thinking will lead to a very unique army imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you have any concept pics yet Don? I'm thinking space slaan meets gungans

My Personal Blog: http://mickeysminishome.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

not yet - only a very basic sketch I did a while ago - they will be more frog and less turtle than this:

DasBilligeAlien did some awesome concept work a while ago when brain storming for this line. Maybe I need to create a new thread to flush these guys out...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any chance that the OTC will get the larger fliers to "complete" the army?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 307  Next