Login |  Register |  FAQ

Imperium Dominatus - List Building Queries

Post subject: Imperium Dominatus - List Building Queries
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Firstly, it's been a long time since I posted here on TacComm, and I'm thrilled to find it's alive and well! I saw the recent efforts to create an "updated" NetEpic to move it to a more dynamic and D10 based system, whilst preserving the old SM2E flavour, and I think that's a fantastic goal. Reading through Imperium Dominatus has got me all excited to build some forces for the HH, and try the rules out for myself (they really do look excellent!).

Anyway, the reason for my post here is that I have some questions that I wasn't able to properly close out by reading the published documents, and so I though I could post them here as I find them - that way, the answers remain available for others.

1) On the Sons of Horus characteristic card, in the list of traits, one reads: "Sons of Horus must have more cavalry formations than heavy vehicle formations." Now, I assume that cavalry formations are things like jetbikes and bikes, but neither the cards nor rules properly clarify this anywhere. Also, do things like Land Speeders count? And what about infantry in Rhinos or air transports? I think the mixup is because "cavalry" is a pinning class, a usual method of miniatures basing (2-3 models on base, typically mounted side-by-side facing the "long" edge of the base), and an actual combat role (in which transported troops are often referred to as cavalry). Where the unit summaries say "type" in their stat bar, I think there should be a split or extra stat that says "name". That way you have a unit name, a class (with pinning type denoted in brackets if different that the usual class pinning categories), and then the rest of the stat block as usual. Related to this, are "Heavy Vehicles" superheavies, or are they any combat tank (as opposed to a primarily transport tank/APC)?

2) On the Sons of Horus characteristic card, in the list of traits, one reads: "Sons of Horus infantry gain +1 to hit." Two rows down, another reads "Merciless fighters. Sons of Horus gains infantry gain +1 to CAF to hit value." Are these are the same thing, or is the top one for shooting attacks to separate it from the lower one that's for melee?

3) The SoH have a special company, the Sons of Horus First Company. Is there an option for these to be mounted in transports other than Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pods? Either all LRs, or mixed Rhino and LRs, or air transports?

4) On the Ultramarines characteristic card, in the list of traits, one reads: "Ultramarine command must take either master of the signal or the Damocles command rhino." I assume this is for infantry command only, and that if there is a choice the owner gets to pick? For example, a Legion Tactical Company in Rhinos, the command stand gets either the Master of Signal, or the Damocles, but not both, and I would choose which when making the list? What about Terminator companies - they don't get Rhinos at all, and the MoS is not usually a Terminator figure?

5) Do units on cards which come with different weapons need to be that type? For example, on the Legion Dreadnought Company card, there are five types of Dreadnought. I find that (1) getting the models with the exact loadouts is tricky (I'm buying models from Vanguard Miniatures), and also (2) seeing what each model is equipped with on the table is actually quite difficult. Could these be codified more generally as "Assault" (double CC weapons), "Tactical" (CC weapon arm and gun arm) and "Support" (double gun arms)? I had similar thoughts on the Legion Land Speeder and Predator companies - class-based rather than exact weapons.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Imperium Dominatus - List Building Queries
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, so in answer to (1), I finally found that the units are categorised in the separate Army list download, even though this is not noted in the main rules, nor carried through onto the cards. So "Cavalry" units do include land speeders, but not transports. "Heavy Vehicles" are things like Land Raiders and Spartans, but not Sicarans. These categories really need to be added to the stat blocks IMO.

The other questions all remain unanswered despite 76 views in four days, which is a little sad. Is nobody else playing ID...? :-\

Profile Send private message