Login |  Register |  FAQ

Alternating Activation System (Bissler-geddon!)

Post subject: Re: Alternating Activation System (Bissler-geddon!)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good! Then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc8fqgbU_SU ;D

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:

Hi!

You win the catch phrase battle! ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

There is no roll for "when" the unit appears, but you gave me an idea to further develop this.

Addition to proposed idea

Formations that will choose to enter through an entry zone may only do so as of the second turn of the game (this simulates the extra time it takes to flank march).

However a player may choose to take a riskier course and attempt to deploy units through an entry zone on turn one. This imposes a -1 to the armies flank value. Note that such a decision to attempt to deploy on turn one has to be made prior to rolling any dice and cannot be rescinded after the dice have been rolled.

Example: A space marine army normally has a flank value of 4+. However the marine player wishes to to push his luck and hopes for an early forced march on turn one. He rolls his allotted dice and now his target number is 5+ instead of 4.

This will make success more difficult and since stuff like titans cost TWO success it will be rare to see a turn one titan appear in the rear.

Only some armies could do this with any measure of success. For example orks and IG would need to roll 6's (and more than one to bring a titan), so only in the games with high point values.

You also gave me another idea. While it is fine for players to choose what entry zones exist in a game, why not add a table to make it random?

Entry zone availability

1: no entry zones available
2-5 only side edges of game table are entry zones
6: Special entry zone (rear, drop zones, etc).

That way there is no arguing over entry zones. ;)

Primarch

Hi!

As I prepare for tomorrow's test, I realized when I set out the forces that the formation definition in the flanking rule needs clarification. Since permitting one success to allow a whole company formation would be overpowered.

Further more, since in the combined activation alternate rules the true "currency mechanic" is the activation itself, I decided to equal successes to activations, with the caveat that bringing in a formation consisting of titans or praetorians would cost two "successes" to give you one activation of a formation with these unit types.

Also, while a turn 1 flanking deployment reduces your flank value by one (or -1 to the die roll which amounts to the same thing), I have decided to add a cumulative -1 to the flank value (or die roll) when a rear or special deployment zone (non flank/side zones) is desired (depending on if they are being used).

This means if an army commander desired to attempt a flank maneuver on turn one in the rear (or special deployment zone), he would suffer a -2 to its armies flank value (or die roll) or a -1 to its flank value (or die rolls) for a rear/special deployment zone entry on the second turn.

Noe for some armies it means first turn deployment (particularly for rear and special zones) will need scores greater than a roll of 6. Use the standard rules for net epic for rolling a a target number higher than 6 9roll second d6, second die roll of 4= 7, etc).

In addition, the player could designate some, part, all or none of his flank dice to attempt different things.

For example in my test game of 6000 points each army gets 6 flank die to roll to attempt flank maneuvers. I could assign 1, 2, 3 or more dice (or none) to attempt 1 turn deployments, second turn deployments in either rear/special zones or standard flank zones on a die to die basis.

As long as the player clearly states the intent of the die roll before rolling. Since this occurs once per battle it will not be time consuming or particularly onerous.

Once success are determined they will be strictly used for what the roll was stated (first turn, second turn and zone type). The rolls and use are not interchangeable. Once you roll the dice with the specific modifiers your locked into the success being used for that particular turn and use.

I'd recommend using the standard order counters for tracking this. One counter per success. First fire for first turn deployment (show back if its for side/flank zone deployment, show face up counter when it for rear/special zone deployment) and advance orders for second turn deployment (show back for side zones. face up for rear/special zones).

These will be used in the play test.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Real life reared its ugly head once more. ;(

I've had a slew of faulty routers (having cable and electrician coming in to check everything out), so I spent Saturday morning and early afternoon getting all that sorted out.

I've pushed my test game to next Saturday.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bummer!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ringo wrote:
Bummer!

Hi!

Tell me about it. :{[]

I've felt that the overall quality of routers has gone to trash in the last several years. It's pathetic.

I'm just making sure its not a wiring problem (I doubt it though since nothing BUT the routers seems affected).

The table, terrain and forces are all ready to go though. All I need is some time, Saturday looks like the day since there is much other business to take care of during the week, otherwise I'd try to so it in an afternoon after work.

No worries though. Its been nearly 10 years since my last game. A few more days is no big deal. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,

I'm quite late to take this alternate rule system train but I've read most of your discussions :)

- About Snap Fire, I made a proposition in the past to the french community: you can snap fire at 50% weapon range. So a Volcano Cannon (100cm range) has a limit of 50cm when snap firing.

- For the skimmers that do pop-up attacks, IIRC the old SMV2/TL rules stated that this were slow attacks and the pop-uping units were visible until end of the turn (they slowly reach the ground after pop-attacks...)

- For the flyers, I agree that a big revision should be done because they still "unbalance" the game.

We could add some flyer types: fighters/bombers/transports and have in the notes of the stats table something like:
flyer (fighter).

About orders:
- first fire order: allow a transport to land/take off (no firing allowed except point defense when landed)
- advance fire: ground attack -> flyers can shot at units in the ground
- charge order: only available to fighter flyer class -> those flyers can intercept others flyers that are not landed

About Altitude:
-ground: landed transport flyers can use their point defense to fire at ground units
- low altitude: flyers can fire at ground units (bombs dropped by bombers won't deviate)
- high altitude: bombers can only drop bombs under them but they will deviate (2D6cm+scatter). Ground units firing at a high altitude flyer will suffer a -25cm range penalty. Fighters/Transport flyers kind can not target at ground units with their direct weapons.

About movement:
- flyers must move at least 50% of their base movement
- flyers can turn 2 times in their movement but each turn movement is limited to a 45° turn and they need to move at least 33% of their base move before being able to turn.
Example: a flyer with a base movement of 75cm
- can go straight 75cm
- can move 25cm (straight forward from their initial direction), make a 45° turn , move another 25cm, turn 45° make the last move of 25cm for a total move of 75cm (no last turn allowed)
- can move 25cm, make a 90° turn, go straight forward (no more turn allowed)

If a flyer movement makes it exits the board, if will be out of the game for next turn, awarding half VP (rounded Up) to the opponent for Victory Points count in end phase. Such flyers won't be able to enter the board in next turn (granting another time half VPs), they'll have to stay a full turn outside the board before being able to enter on the board from the same side they exit.

A squadron that have reach is break point before exiting the board can do a morale test will outside the board but will stay outside the board until is make as successful morale test. As per standard rules, 2 failed morale tests will rout the unit.

Charge Order:
- this order is only available to fighter flyers:
Flyers with this order will move to engage opponent flyers for a "dog fight". Their movement follow the flyer rule for turning. When reaching the enemy unit in base contact, resolve a round of "dog fight":
- Each player sum the number of caf value of involved fliers
- Each player roll a quantity of dice equals to the total caf value at the same time
- Each roll of a "6" remove an opponent model, no armor save allowed

Example:
- a Squadron of 3 Chaos DoomWings (Caf +6) engages in dog fight a squadron of 3 Ork Fighta Bomma (caf +3)
- chaos players will roll 18 dices (3x6) and ork players will roll 9 dices (3x3 dices).
- chaos players scores 4 "6" while ork player scores 2 "6"
- ork player should lose 4 Fighta Bommas (but loses only 3 as its squadron contains 3 models) while chaos Player lose 2 doomwings

Special use of charge order for fighters:
- A fighter squadron with charge order that has not been activated can be activated to intercept an enemy flier unit that is moving.
- This will stop enemy flyer movement and intercepting unit will move to enter in dog fight with enemy unit.
- 2 possibilities:
A) Intercepting unit has enough move to enter in dog fight with opponent so a round of dog fight is played
B) Intercepting unit is too short to enter in base contact with opponent: move the intercepting unit to its maximum move range toward enemy unit and leave it there, they were too slow to intercept and enemy is already gone
- Units that survived the dog fight round can continue their action but their remaining movement is reduced to 50% of movement left, this represent the time spent in dog-fighting.
Example: a Fighta Bomma squadron is intercepted (100cm base move) has moved 50cm before being intercepted. 2 Fighta Bommas survived the dog fight and they can only move another 25cm (100cm base move - 50cm move before dogfight = 50cm remaining move divided by 2)
- Intercepting intercepting unit is allowed maybe this intercepting action will slow down enough the enemy to reach it's goal!
- Snap Firing at intercepting units is allowed, maybe your AA units will destroy fighters before they are on target

Advance Order
- Flyers with this order will perform ground attacks, they can not engage enemy units in dog-fights or land.
- Bombers at high altitude can drop bombs under them but they will deviate 2D6cm (2 D6 + scatter dice).
- Bombers or fighters at low altitude can fire at ground units. Bombs dropped by bombers at low altitude don't deviate
- Firing will be resolved in advance fire phase (exception for bombs dropped during bomber movement that are resolved during bomber movement)

First Fire Order
- Only flyers with transports capability can get this order, allowing to land or take-off if already landed. Landing units can be intercepted by flyers before landing. Firing at a transport flyer will involve a -1 to-hit penalty and landing unit can be turned in the direction of player choice.
- Units equipped with jump-pack (or equivalent equipment) transported in a flyer destroyed in a dog fight
are allowed a bail-out roll at TSM 0.

Wrong Order or missing order
If the player forgot to place an order on its flyers or placed a wrong order (charge order on a bomber for example), flyer detachment will move its minimal movement straight forward and will fire at closest enemy units in advance fire.

I stole to Peter the idea of allowing flyers to exit the board and the half VP reward ;)

In fact, I think since many years that flyers in SM/TL/NetEpic are not in the same game than others units and I find how they're used in Epic:Armageddon better than what we ever get in our game system. Alternate Flyer Rules proposed by zap123 in the past were probably the best we ever get but we can go one step further.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Good stuff scream!

I'll open a "alternate flyer rules" thread so we can further discuss it there.

I agree that flyers are still the most "clunky" part that exists in net epic. Mainly due to the fact that their introduction to the original game was done with no thought on their impact (too powerful).

I like how your thinking "outside the box" for rules, for I think the standard mechanics are not going to work for them.

I'll re-post the pertinent parts in the new thread.

Thanks!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for taking the time to read the rules and discussions and getting involved Scream! So far as I'm concerned, the more NetEpic players that offer their thoughts and opinions, the better. As is well documented I have no fliers so will let you chaps deal with that side of things - thanks for opening up a thread on those Primarch - also gutted to hear your playtest has been delayed. Real life can be a right kick in the chuckies sometimes!

So far as Snap Fire and the Pop-Up attacks go, I'm fairly happy to leave them as is at the moment and see how things go in the playtests. What is still on my mind is the possibility of an Overwatch option for Focussed (First) Fire. Your idea of halving ranges is very attractive for that. I will think some more about this. Sorry Primarch, I'm sure my obsession with trying to give options on FF makes you want to :{[] !!!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to read the rules and discussions and getting involved Scream! So far as I'm concerned, the more NetEpic players that offer their thoughts and opinions, the better. As is well documented I have no fliers so will let you chaps deal with that side of things - thanks for opening up a thread on those Primarch - also gutted to hear your playtest has been delayed. Real life can be a right kick in the chuckies sometimes!

So far as Snap Fire and the Pop-Up attacks go, I'm fairly happy to leave them as is at the moment and see how things go in the playtests. What is still on my mind is the possibility of an Overwatch option for Focussed (First) Fire. Your idea of halving ranges is very attractive for that. I will think some more about this. Sorry Primarch, I'm sure my obsession with trying to give options on FF makes you want to :{[] !!!

Hi!

I'll play the test game with the first fire rules as discussed by you and I. I think it will work without to much problems.

Hopefully tomorrow is the day. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Test game successfully run on Saturday. I am in the process or organizing the photos and the report for posting.

Hopefully it will be up by the weekend.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Test game successfully run on Saturday. I am in the process or organizing the photos and the report for posting.

Hopefully it will be up by the weekend.

Primarch

Glad it went well! Looking forward to the report! :spin

Net Epic Evolution Rules